capybara

Royal Ballet Promotions Predictions 2019

From the way this has been done (and following the publicity afforded Naghdi and Ball in the last couple of years), I think that Marcelino's promotion is very likely to be the only one to Principal this year.

• Like 5

my thought too, Capybara.  They don't need another female Principal and I guess Corrales will be the next male, I hope.  But  if they are going to use Halberg a lot, that cuts out the need.

As Sambé's well-deserved promotion has opened up a potential knock-on effect, might I suggest this could comprise Nicol Edmonds to First Soloist, Joseph Sissens to Soloist, and Leo Dixon to First Artist?

I thought you had already?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, alison said:

But I think this was on the Marcelino Sambe ‘congratulations’ thread and there was a suggestion (from balletbangorboy) that promotion wishes etc should be posted on the ‘predictions’ page.

• Like 3

On 08/06/2019 at 17:20, penelopesimpson said:

my thought too, Capybara.  They don't need another female Principal and I guess Corrales will be the next male, I hope.  But  if they are going to use Halberg a lot, that cuts out the need.

I also so hope so re Corrales. Perhaps it depends who, if anyone (other than Soares), is leaving the principal ranks this year. 

Sambe timing was presumably because of Japan. 

• Like 1

Corrales will have strong 'competition' from Bracewell next year, in my view. Love them both and sooooo hope that they will both be able to dance a full 2019/20 season.

• Like 8

Possibly but was Bracewell a Principal already with BRB and dropped a rank to join the main company? 

I feel that barring further serious injury etc Corrales could get promoted sooner rather than later because of his being a former Principal already with ENB

Just now, LinMM said:

Possibly but was Bracewell a Principal already with BRB and dropped a rank to join the main company? 

I feel that barring further serious injury etc Corrales could get promoted sooner rather than later because of his being a former Principal already with ENB

No, William Bracewell left BRB as a soloist.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, alison said:

Yes I had, but I put it in the wrong thread and was effectively admonished!

Edit - I see JohnS has already leapt to my defence!

Edited by Richard LH
Seen an earlier post

My comment by the way  is around possible technical contract type issues not around the two dancers abilities! 

I haven't seen enough of Bracewell performing yet but friends who have like him a lot!

I do know I've seen enough of Caesar to think he should be heading in Principal direction but will book to see more of Bracewell next year if possible.

I suppose though you could say that Bracewell has been a member of the Royal in one form or another for longer! Maybe that counts for something too....in the technicalities of contracts sense at least!! 

I personally see Bracewell being promoted first. I'm not yet sold on Corrales' artistic presence. So I think he needs a bit more time developing it. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, HappyTurk said:

I'm not yet sold on Corrales' artistic presence. So I think he needs a bit more time developing it. 

In which case, you didn't see his jaw dropping appearances with ENB: his  Hilarion in Khan's Giselle, his Albrecht in Skeaping's Giselle; his Birbanto in Le Corsaire; his Young Man in Le Jeune Homme - all amazing and completely different from his Solor and his Romeo with the RB. And the fact that his Romeo was so completely different from anything else he has done served to show what an artist Cesar is.

Edited by capybara
  • Like 11

23 minutes ago, capybara said:

In which case, you didn't see his jaw dropping appearances with ENB: his  Hilarion in Khan's Giselle, his Albrecht in Skeaping's Giselle; his Birbanto in Le Corsaire; his Young Man in Le Jeune Homme - all amazing and completely different from his Solor and his Romeo with the RB. And the fact that his Romeo was so completely different from anything else he has done served to show what an artist Cesar is.

I was just going to mention 'Jeune Homme'!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, penelopesimpson said:

Corrales is streets ahead of Bracewell, wonde fuel though he is.  Sometimes charisma must b3 the deciding factor.

Having seen William Bracewell dance a lot during his time at BRB I would have to say that he is a very different dancer to Corrales.  After his debut as Romeo my friends were surprised to say the least when I said he was the best Romeo I have ever seen in the MacMillan production and possibly any other production I have seen.  His duet with Yvette Knight in Miracle in the Gorbals just took my breath away and he scintillated in Elite Syncopations to name but 3 roles.

Both these young gentlemen are worthy of promotion.

• Like 13

Posted (edited)
On 11/06/2019 at 17:29, capybara said:

Well, we will just have to agree to disagree. Certainly, I believe he will be a principal at the Royal Ballet in the near future (perhaps it will take two years?) But I do think he has room to develop his presence (which isn't a surprise considering he is quite young). 

Edited by HappyTurk
  • Like 2

On 11/06/2019 at 20:12, HappyTurk said:

I'm not yet sold on Corrales' artistic presence. So I think he needs a bit more time developing it. 

So I am guessing you didn't see his Romeo either .... especially the last one, not sure how much more artistic presence it would have been possible to show. 

• Like 5

Perhaps this is the wrong place to post this, but the RB announced yesterday that Nehemiah Kish will retire at the end of the season. 

9 hours ago, HappyTurk said:

Well, we will just have to agree to disagree. Certainly, I believe he will be a principal at the Royal Ballet in the near future (perhaps it will take two years?) But I do think he has room to develop his presence (which isn't a surprise considering he is quite young). 

Believe me, Happy Turk, Corrales's 'presence' when dancing Birbanto in Le Corsaire at the Palais Garnier was such that one felt he had come off the stage into the Stalls. Rather like his First Hungarian Officer in Mayerling which drew many eyes away from the main characters.

Romeo was, as I have said, a completely different Cesar from the dynamo most of us who saw him dance with ENB have been accustomed to.

But I know that nothing I say will convince you - we all have to experience what dancers bring to their art in our own individual ways. [And there are some further examples of widely differing responses on the RB Triple Bill thread.]

• Like 3

Possibly also there's scope for improving technically - or perhaps he's not yet 100% recovered from his injury.

I would think that perhaps Corrales will be judged solely on his Royal Ballet performances, as it would seem unfair to consider promoting him on the basis of his English National Ballet performances? It’s a great shame that injury has affected so much of his first year with the RB - and indeed has also affected Bracewell. No doubt both will be considered for promotion in the near future and it seems that they are very different dancers whilst both being very worthy of elevation. The RB has such a variety of strengths at all levels; let’s hope that both Corrales and Bracewell will continue to flourish. 

• Like 8

4 hours ago, standingticket said:

Perhaps this is the wrong place to post this, but the RB announced yesterday that Nehemiah Kish will retire at the end of the season. 

I am sad about this. Like many others on this forum, I felt that Kish really came into his own this season and would have been a wonderful asset as a character artist. A shame. Good luck to him. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, standingticket said:

There’s a specific thread about his retirement in the News forum if anyone wants to record their best wishes to him.

• Like 2

On 11/06/2019 at 20:12, HappyTurk said:

I personally see Bracewell being promoted first. I'm not yet sold on Corrales' artistic presence. So I think he needs a bit more time developing it. 

And they need principals with some height.  Bracewell is taller than Corrales, I think?