Jump to content

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, JNC said:

 

Thank you, I wasn't aware! I have so far been a bit reluctant to stand but I should at least give it a try I suppose, especially with the ever-increasing prices..! 

 

 

I have found that SCS tickets benefit by the fact that intervals for ballets are quite long and with mixed bills are frequent, sometimes as long as the performances, so being closer to the exits than the seats mean that you can get to the seats outside the auditorium before anyone else.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SPD444 said:

 

 

I have found that SCS tickets benefit by the fact that intervals for ballets are quite long and with mixed bills are frequent, sometimes as long as the performances, so being closer to the exits than the seats mean that you can get to the seats outside the auditorium before anyone else.

 

Thanks very true!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As has most likely already been said, I would go with a Student membership, should you be eligible. You would benefit from on-the-day and night-before cheap seats, for poorly sold shows, eg, £10 stalls seats. And priority booking a day before General Booking. Plus events attuned to Student experiences/age groups. It had become apparent to me that Friends is in many ways useless nowadays, except if one is lucky to attend a Friends Rehearsal. I don't think students are eligible to attend those. However there are certain nights, eg a recent Billy Budd, where it is almost entirely for students, and one can find seats for £1-£5-£15 or so. On reflection, I ended my membership about 3 years ago . For various reasons (be it finding lucky tickets on here, twitter, or other felicitous finds) I have yet to miss it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tagging on to this thread so as not to start another one, as my query is sort of about Friends membership. I gather that if Friends rehearsals are on the same day as the first public performance of a ballet then the rehearsal won't have the same cast as the first performance but if the rehearsal is the day before then can anyone give any idea if it's likely that the cast of the first performance might do the rehearsal or are performances two days running considered too much? I'm musing on Manon. As Hamilton & Clarke are only doing the school matinee while all the other casts are down for 2 performances I'm wondering if they might do the Friends rehearsal & wondering if it's worth forking out for Friends membership just to try to get a ticket to the Manon rehearsal in case they do it. I realise there's a lot of uncertainty in this but I would really like to see Hamilton's Manon & this is the only remote possiblity I can think of!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Surely, for the sake of one rehearsal, you could find an acquaintance who’s already a Friend who might be able to book an extra ticket and take you with them?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, RuthE said:

Surely, for the sake of one rehearsal, you could find an acquaintance who’s already a Friend who might be able to book an extra ticket and take you with them?

 

I wish I could but unfortunately the one person I knew who was a Friend moved abroad & I don't know anyone else who is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dawnstar, just thinking - bearing in mind what you've previously said about knowing casting in advance, would you be okay if the rehearsal turned out not to be the cast you hoped?

 

Also, I'm not sure what the thinking is behind the general rehearsals.  They've sometimes been used to try out new casts, I believe (are there any in this run?), but aren't they also a major photography opportunity?  Would the powers that be "waste" a cast for the photographers if it wasn't going to be shown to the general public and possibly reviewed?  I don't know.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, alison said:

Dawnstar, just thinking - bearing in mind what you've previously said about knowing casting in advance, would you be okay if the rehearsal turned out not to be the cast you hoped?

 

Also, I'm not sure what the thinking is behind the general rehearsals.  They've sometimes been used to try out new casts, I believe (are there any in this run?), but aren't they also a major photography opportunity?  Would the powers that be "waste" a cast for the photographers if it wasn't going to be shown to the general public and possibly reviewed?  I don't know.

 

Since there are 4 or 5 other casts that I want to see then hopefully if it isn't Hamilton/Clarke then it'll be one of those. In fact the only Manon I definitely don't want to see is Takada. Going by some recent comments on the R&J thread there don't seem to be any new Manons this run at any rate. Not having seen the previous run (if I had then it would remove this whole issue but sadly time machines for watching past performances have yet to be invented!) I don't know about the other lead roles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

Tagging on to this thread so as not to start another one, as my query is sort of about Friends membership. I gather that if Friends rehearsals are on the same day as the first public performance of a ballet then the rehearsal won't have the same cast as the first performance but if the rehearsal is the day before then can anyone give any idea if it's likely that the cast of the first performance might do the rehearsal or are performances two days running considered too much? I'm musing on Manon. As Hamilton & Clarke are only doing the school matinee while all the other casts are down for 2 performances I'm wondering if they might do the Friends rehearsal & wondering if it's worth forking out for Friends membership just to try to get a ticket to the Manon rehearsal in case they do it. I realise there's a lot of uncertainty in this but I would really like to see Hamilton's Manon & this is the only remote possiblity I can think of!

 

I think it unlikely that Melissa Hamilton's cast will perform at the Friends' General Rehesrsal since the Schools' matinée is the very next day I believe. I agree that she is a memorable Manon, and regret that she has no public performance in the role in this run.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Josephine said:

 

I think it unlikely that Melissa Hamilton's cast will perform at the Friends' General Rehesrsal since the Schools' matinée is the very next day I believe. I agree that she is a memorable Manon, and regret that she has no public performance in the role in this run.

 

Thanks for the information. I am busy kicking myself that I didn't decide to try the RB last season rather than this season, as I gather she did have public performances then.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

In fact the only Manon I definitely don't want to see is Takada.

That's a shame! She is an amazing Manon.....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Richard LH said:

That's a shame! She is an amazing Manon.....

I second it.

She might have changed the intention of some pieces of the choreography (not the choreo itself though) in order to suit her own portrayal of Manon but imho her dramatic dancing in Act 1&2 is much more impressive than some of the other dancers I saw.

The chemistry between she and Alex Campbell was simply the best among all the couples I saw in the last run. TBH i hadn’t  expected that at all and am most glad that I didn’t miss the chance of seeing her.

Edited by yvonnep
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

In fact the only Manon I definitely don't want to see is Takada.

I will be traveling from Texas to London to see Takada in Manon. Her Act 3 Swamp PdD was extraordinary last time. I still do not know where that power had been hidden in this very polite, well-mannered, young dancer.

Edited by Texan
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Richard LH said:

That's a shame! She is an amazing Manon.....

 

I've not seen her as Manon, obviously, so I can't comment on that but I haven't been too keen on her acting in what little I have seen her in on video (not seen her live, given her withdrawal from Symphony in C), especially the Bayadere Insight livestream where I found myself sympathising with Naghdi's Gamzatti & not liking Takada's Nikiya, which isn't the way round it's supposed to be! Given I'll only be able to see about half the Manons that I do want to see, I'm quite happy that there's one that I don't, as I'm finding it had enough to choose which to see as it is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Her Manon was wonderful, as was her Juliet.  I loved her Nikiya; so soft, vulnerable and heartbreaking.   I didn’t used to go and see her because I felt like Dawnstar, but this season she has really blossomed dramatically and now I want to see her in everything!  

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Sim said:

Her Manon was wonderful, as was her Juliet.  I loved her Nikiya; so soft, vulnerable and heartbreaking.   I didn’t used to go and see her because I felt like Dawnstar, but this season she has really blossomed dramatically and now I want to see her in everything!  

 

She is also (regarding the upcoming season) a stunning Aurora.  Well worth anyone's visit.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Sim said:

this season she has really blossomed dramatically and now I want to see her in everything

Absolutely! Having also seen her this season as Mary Vetsera, the Young Girl in Two Pigeons, the Lost Girl in Infra, and Kitri, as well as Odette/Odile last year, she strikes me as now having a great breadth, as well as depth, of acting ability.

With Akane just one of many dancers at the RB who should not be missed, I would say becoming a Friend is well worth it, both for earlier bookings, and simply to help support the company.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for bringing the thread back on-topic, Richard.  I was about to suggest renaming it the Akane Takada fanclub thread :) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Richard LH said:

I would say becoming a Friend is well worth it, both for earlier bookings, and simply to help support the company.

 

I'm afraid I don't have the "support the company" motivation for any company because they all, and especially the ROH, have a heck of a lot more money than I do! If I ever win the Lottery or marry a millionaire then I'd be happy to support them but not on my under 20k a year wages!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

I'm afraid I don't have the "support the company" motivation for any company because they all, and especially the ROH, have a heck of a lot more money than I do! If I ever win the Lottery or marry a millionaire then I'd be happy to support them but not on my under 20k a year wages!

 

Well you already support the company by buying tickets, which is the most important kind of support there is.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

True, but while they get what they want - money - in return they give me what I want - opera & ballet. It's philanthropy with nothing in return that I can't afford. I suppose if I spent less money on tickets I'd have more to spare for good causes but that's never going to happen!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, alison said:

Thanks for bringing the thread back on-topic, Richard.  I was about to suggest renaming it the Akane Takada fanclub thread :) 

Ah, you noticed how I deftly managed that just in time!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...