• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest oncnp
8 hours ago, Lizbie1 said:

I haven't tried it recently but here it is:

(Pleased to exhibit again my association of this post with the word "finagle"!)

Works perfectly, thank you. And thank you @Saodan for the original post.

Edited by oncnp

8 hours ago, Lizbie1 said:

(Pleased to exhibit again my association of this post with the word "finagle"!)

And again, I am pleased to have made an impression! Crazy this is over two years old now

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Saodan said:

And again, I am pleased to have made an impression! Crazy this is over two years old now

Gosh, thank you Saodan! I don’t suppose you know of a way to see the actual seat itself, do you?  I tried to change “stage-view” to “seat-view” in the url but no luck. 🤔

On 09/05/2021 at 21:52, Anna C said:

Gosh, thank you Saodan! I don’t suppose you know of a way to see the actual seat itself, do you?  I tried to change “stage-view” to “seat-view” in the url but no luck. 🤔

Yes, you change "stage-view" to "position-view". You were so close!

• Like 3

On 09/05/2021 at 21:16, Saodan said:

I haven't posted on here for so long but I had to sign in to say thanks for this 🙂. I remember the post now but had forgotten about it.

• Like 3

• 5 months later...

I am thinking of treating myself to tickets for SL (I usually always sit in the amphi) and wondered what seasoned forum members thought of seats in the stalls, stall circle or balcony? 

I like being able to see the corps formations, but wouldn't mind being a touch closer to the action. Thank you for your advice! 

1 hour ago, Clara_f said:

I am thinking of treating myself to tickets for SL (I usually always sit in the amphi) and wondered what seasoned forum members thought of seats in the stalls, stall circle or balcony? 

I like being able to see the corps formations, but wouldn't mind being a touch closer to the action. Thank you for your advice! 

The advantage of the amphi is that the seat rake is so steep you almost always have a good view. Anywhere else, unless you buy seats at the front of a section, you do run the risk of people in front blocking you so it depends how annoying you find this. There are seats in the stalls with good views but these usually go quite quickly. For ballet my favourite is front row balcony.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Clara_f said:

I can’t comment as have only sat in amphi due to budget. But it’s correct to say the view is good regardless of where you sit and you won’t have a head in the way. 

I did once treat myself to front amphi and it was a lot closer than it might look from the back, probably more equivalent to balcony than you might realise (though the SL prices for the better amphi seats are by no means cheap at all).

I have read other forum members quite like front of stalls circle or balcony as well but I can’t speak on this from personal experience. 

• Like 1

On 03/11/2021 at 09:16, Clara_f said:

Whilst you can  appreciate the corps formations from the Amphi, as a rule  I enjoy  being closer, better  to appreciate the  techniques and acting of the individual dancers, so I prefer Orchestra Stalls or Stalls Circle. In the Stalls Circle the raking is pretty good so even in Row C you can hopefully see over heads.  Also there are the standing places behind Row C. You can get very close to the action at the Stalls Circle sides,  but at the expense of having to turn sideways and tending to miss some of the action that is close to  the stage wings. 

I find it helpful to look at the  stage views from seats as shown on the ROH website;  the availability  of these  views  has been a bit mitt and hiss lately, but bizarrely various views still can be accessed from the "seat map" links for productions where the casting has been announced, but not yet available for booking for one's particular  membership level (if any). 

In fact I have  compiled and stored quite a comprehensive database of these views so if you (or indeed any other Forum Member) would like to see a view from a particular seat  that does not seem accessible at present on the website, I can see if I have one, or a similar one, that I can send you (as a .jpg). 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

In the Stalls Circle the raking is pretty good so even in Row C you can hopefully see over heads.  Also there are the standing places behind Row C. 

I'm short and, therefore, need a booster cushion if I sit in row B or C of the stalls circle (the bit facing the stage).

• Like 2

21 hours ago, JNC said:

I can’t comment as have only sat in amphi due to budget. But it’s correct to say the view is good regardless of where you sit and you won’t have a head in the way. 

Oh, I don't know, there have been times when I've had quite a blocked view due to heads.  There was once when I'd treated myself to one of the higher H40-somethings and ended up wishing I'd booked H43 with its restricted view.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, capybara said:

I’ve been given dirty looks for sitting on my coat.

I have been told off for sitting on my coat.  The ironic thing was, you know those "3-in-1" rain jackets with a fleece which you can zip in or out?  My "coat" at the time was about the same thickness as the rain jacket without the fleece, so probably only about 1 mm, maybe 2 mm, thick, or 3 mm if I was sitting on 2 layers of it. Must have made a HUGE difference :)

I had no idea they did booster cushions. Never been mentioned nor offered despite having visited with younger children. 
I wouldn’t sit in the balcony again unless the seat was in the central block. I thought the view from various seats in the stalls circle was superior. I agree with others the rake isn’t generous. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, capybara said:

Are adults allowed booster cushions? I’ve been given dirty looks for sitting on my coat.

seems a bit unfair but presume it’s all relative? If for example you were normal height or reasonably tall using one, and someone short was sat behind you they may be irritated. If you’re the short one with someone very tall in front of you it seems perfectly reasonable to use one! 

Generally I find the rake good enough in the amphi even with taller people in front. The exception is where people don’t sit as they’re ‘supposed’ to and lean forward and that can have unintended consequences. Or when people wear hats (!) or lean in/put their arm around a partner. Probably for the audience behaviour thread though I could go on and on…! 

• Like 6

Hi, as the title states*, I'm 150cm and planning to get a seat in the first row (row A) of the ROH Amphitheatre for Giselle. I'll try to get a seat in the middle block. I've never been to the venue.

I won't have a problem with facing the back of someone's head. However, I don't know how tall the barrier in front of the first row is. If it's too high, I'd rather get a second row seat than have to lean forward to see the stage.

Could anyone let me know if this might be a problem?

Thanks so much!

*EDIT: Well, it did when the OP originally posted, and before I merged the threads"

Edited by alison
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, ELM said:

Hi, as the title states, I'm 150cm and planning to get a seat in the first row (row A) of the ROH Amphitheatre for Giselle. I'll try to get a seat in the middle block. I've never been to the venue.

I won't have a problem with facing the back of someone's head. However, I don't know how tall the barrier in front of the first row is. If it's too high, I'd rather get a second row seat than have to lean forward to see the stage.

Could anyone let me know if this might be a problem?

Thanks so much!

The barrier is pretty low, I think you will be fine in Row A centre.

Edited by Richard LH
  • Like 1

I do hope you get a ticket ELM. Very pleased to see RHowarth’s encouragement for your choice. If you find any problems in seeing, I’d suggest a cushion rather than leaning forward as that would be comfier. Cushions are available from Front of House. Also leaning forward may obstruct the view for other people. I know the ROH ask people not to lean forward in A sides (throughout the auditorium) as there can be difficulties for people sitting behind or adjacent.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, RHowarth said:

Hi! I am also 4'11 and have no problems with the ledge on row A of amphitheatre. 

That's very good to know: I think the seats are slightly further back in row A compared with the rows behind, and had wondered if that might affect the view for people who aren't particularly tall.

Welcome to the forum, ELM.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RHowarth said:

Hi! I am also 4'11 and have no problems with the ledge on row A of amphitheatre. 

It's great to hear someone with personal experience, thank you.

3 hours ago, JohnS said:

I do hope you get a ticket ELM. Very pleased to see RHowarth’s encouragement for your choice. If you find any problems in seeing, I’d suggest a cushion rather than leaning forward as that would be comfier. Cushions are available from Front of House. Also leaning forward may obstruct the view for other people. I know the ROH ask people not to lean forward in A sides (throughout the auditorium) as there can be difficulties for people sitting behind or adjacent.

Thanks for the theatre etiquette advice! 

And thanks for the warm welcome everyone :) 

• Like 3

I've not sat there a great deal as they're generally a bit out of my price range, but I definitely wouldn't think twice about booking there again if the opportunity arose - and having my view obstructed by safety barrier/tier ledge is a personal bugbear of mine so I'm sure I would have noticed! I think the further you get away from the centre, the more the ledge, as it curves round, might restrict your view of the extreme downstage area on the side you're sitting at (i.e. the front of the stage closest to the orchestra) - but I would say that restriction is slight, and definitely preferable to heads in the way. Be good to hear from others on the subject so you can make an informed decision! I've definitely had more trouble seeing, due to my height, from far more expensive seats in row C of stalls circle.

Generally I find the amphitheatre, being steeply raked,  has a good view for small people unless others are leaning forwards/draping their arms around their companions etc. 

I've never had any problems seeing from the central blocks of stalls circle standing, despite the claim from the ROH that they're not suitable for persons of short stature. In fact they are my favourite place to be. The side blocks do pose a problem though.

Edited by RHowarth
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, ELM said:

Hi, as the title states, I'm 150cm and planning to get a seat in the first row (row A) of the ROH Amphitheatre for Giselle. I'll try to get a seat in the middle block.

Hmmm, just had a quick look and couldn't see any available seats in Row A centre Amphi for Giselle apart from next Friday's matinee (Takada/Corrales/Buvoli). Mind you if you can get there then I am sure that cast  will be worth it!

Edited by Richard LH
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

Hmmm, just had a quick look and couldn't see any available seats in Row A centre Amphi for Giselle apart from next Friday's matinee (Takada/Corrales/Buvoli). Mind you if you can get there then I am sure that cast  will be worth it!

That's what I intend to go for! I just need to confirm my work schedule with my supervisor first - hoping those seats stay empty since they're singles...

• Like 1