Royal Opera 2019/20 announcement

Lizbie1

Reactions and thoughts?

My must-sees at first glance are Death in Venice, Fidelio (at last, Kaufmann in German at the ROH - and with Davidsen!), Jenufa (for Mattila), and Elektra (Stemme AND Mattila, what a treat) and Netrebko in Tosca with Terfel’s Scarpia.

I’m more ambivalent about Don Carlo for casting reasons; and I’m actively cross about the continuing neglect meted out to La Traviata by the casting department.

Also: unless I’ve missed something there’s no Calleja or Oropesa again ;(

• Like 1

You haven’t, Lizzie - missed anything. I’d agree with your ‘must sees’ and probably add Agrippina - love all the casting plus Emelyanchev and the OAE. For me, Don Carlo and Otello are both curate’s eggs on the casting front but I will see them anyway as I can never get enough Verdi. And Tristan & Isolde does have the wonderful Semyon Bychkov, albeit saddled with the so-so Christov Loy production. It’s a good season for Kwiecien - Don Pasquale AND Don Carlo and good to see Louise Alder down for Zerlina albeit in Kasper Holten’s over-busy production. 

Edited by Scheherezade
  • Like 1

I love Bychkov too, but that casting is not good and the production no better. As for Agrippina: I know I’m virtually alone in this but I don’t like Joyce DiDonato so will wait for the revival!

Re Don Carlo: I don’t know whether to laugh or cry about Domingo’s presence.

I wouldn't concern yourself too much with Domingo, Lizbie1, given that he's one of only two cast variants.  I'll just see it early in the run when he isn't in it - and if that means missing Ruxandra Donose's Eboli, it doesn't really matter as I've heard her do it before.

Just now, RuthE said:

I wouldn't concern yourself too much with Domingo, Lizbie1, given that he's one of only two cast variants.  I'll just see it early in the run when he isn't in it - and if that means missing Ruxandra Donose's Eboli, it doesn't really matter as I've heard her do it before.

No - I’d be avoiding him anyway, but there are others in the cast I’m not mad about either. It would be great to see Garanca, though.

On the whole I'm reasonably happy about the clear line the season announcement has drawn between things I definitely must see and things I definitely don't need to see.  On too many occasions in the past I've ended up seeing practically everything because although elements of each thing (director? conductor? half the cast?) were obviously mediocre, there were one or two unmissable singers.

This year the brilliant people and interesting repertoire and productions are largely grouped pleasingly together, and interspersing them, whole revivals I don't need to see at all. This season has been much the same to be honest.  Makes it much easier to be selective!

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, RuthE said:

On the whole I'm reasonably happy about the clear line the season announcement has drawn between things I definitely must see and things I definitely don't need to see. 

Snap!  My must-sees are Agrippina, Alice's Adventures Underground (for my 10 year old), Kaufmann's Fidelio (I studied Fidelio for A-Level Music and hated it at the time, so I'm thinking this is a good chance for it to redeem itself to me!), Jenufa, Elektra and Netrebko's Tosca.

1 minute ago, onemouseplace said:

Kaufmann's Fidelio (I studied Fidelio for A-Level Music and hated it at the time, so I'm thinking this is a good chance for it to redeem itself to me!)

Not just Kaufmann's Fidelio... Lise Davidsen's Fidelio! :wub:

Off-topic and out of curiosity, how old are you? I did my A-levels in 1996, and fell in love with opera a month before that.  I always knew that the year group below me (class of 1997) were getting Fidelio as their upper sixth set work, and I reckon if I'd discovered opera when I did but taken my A-levels a year later and with opera on the syllabus, I'd have probably got a much better mark than the C I got...

5 minutes ago, RuthE said:

Not just Kaufmann's Fidelio... Lise Davidsen's Fidelio! :wub:

Off-topic and out of curiosity, how old are you? I did my A-levels in 1996, and fell in love with opera a month before that.  I always knew that the year group below me (class of 1997) were getting Fidelio as their upper sixth set work, and I reckon if I'd discovered opera when I did but taken my A-levels a year later and with opera on the syllabus, I'd have probably got a much better mark than the C I got...

We must be the same age as I did my A-Levels in 1996 as well! I can't for the life of me remember what exam board we did - but our set works were Fidelio and Brandenburgs 1, 3 and possibly 5 for the other topic.

Aha, we had Brandenburgs 1, *2* and 5 (they must have given the teachers a choice) and the Janacek Sinfonietta.

Talking of Janacek and attempting to get this back on topic, that's a stunning cast for Jenufa - one of my favourite operas.

• Like 1

I'm looking at seeing Werther, Traviata (the Aleksandra Kurzak cast, especially as one of my favourite mezzos, Helen Sherman, is making her ROH debut as Flora), Jenufa, Cav & Pag, and Don Carlos (not with Domingo, I don't want to see a Posa who's older than both King Philip & the Grand Inquisitor!). I'd like to see Agrippina again as a piece but I've sworn off Kosky after hating his production of The Nose.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

I'd like to see Agrippina again as a piece but I've sworn off Kosky after hating his production of The Nose.

Each to his own! I dislike Handel opera intensely, but the one thing that attracted me to this was Kosky!