Wobble boards

Picturesinthefirelight

Not sure about the wobble boards sorry, but I bought my therabands on eBay, I have a green and a blue one. Green is a lower resistance than the blue, but the blue is quite strong. The green ones are used quite alot in pilates, might be a good one to start with. Do you know what dd needs to use it for? Is it for stretching or strengthening feet and ankles?

Dd says the wobble board she uses is made by theraband but they are around £50. Yikes!

£50 for a wobble board is very expensive.  I have attached a link to the one that my daughter has http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wobble-Board-40-Sc-Balance/dp/B000O0YET4/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1392901665&sr=8-5&keywords=wobbleboard  at a reasonably priced £14.22.  It's really good quality and recommended by my dd's ballet teachers.

Our nearest Lidl in Newhaven had a wobble board on sale yesterday .....sorry forgot to look at price...In with the sports stuff but I can check tomorrow. Have no idea about the quality etc.

I remember when I broke my first ankle I used one of these as part of the NHS physiotherapy on offer afterwards. It was for strengthening the ankles after coming out of plaster. I was not offered physio when I broke the other one.....they assumed I knew what to do......which I didn't do of course and this ankle took much longer to get back to normal......3 months longer in fact....so definitely worth persevering with the physio!!

Hi everyone, sorry I didn't give an update since you all so kindly gave me advice on pointe shows in December - will try to post it somewhere appropriate but suffice to say I am loving pointe! I've tried to do a multiquote reply here but don't think it has worked (apologies if it does something really weird!) - tried to repeat taxi4ballet's request for info about how to use a wobbleboard and what for and re LinMM's post above - Lidl has them for £7.99. I've found one under my bed (!) never used it before but I can feel when doing pointe I need to strengthen my ankles, especially the left so will start using it if that is what it is good for - silly question p'raps but do you just stand on it?? For how long/how often?

Thanks!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

Can anyone recommend a good wobble board please....one that will safely take an adult's weight? Its for myself, and I weigh rather a lot more than the average ballet student! I am not taking up ballet I hasten to add, but my physio has suggested I look for one as it will be useful later on in my rehabilitation from some injuries I sustained in an accident earlier in the year. I dont want to buy one that collapses under my weight and puts me back to square one 😂. I'm not hugely overweight, but I am no 40kg ballerina either! My DD never had one so Ive never seen one up close - do they state a maximum weight? Any brands that are particularly good?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Any physio supplies website will be a good starting point. The majority of those bought by physiotherapists for use in their clinics and rehab rooms will be fine. Can you ask your physio where they get theirs from?

43 minutes ago, drdance said:

Any physio supplies website will be a good starting point. The majority of those bought by physiotherapists for use in their clinics and rehab rooms will be fine. Can you ask your physio where they get theirs from?

I didnt ask but I imagine they come via the NHS supply chain like everything else. I work for the same Trust and we get what we are given basically - I dont suppose things are any different for the physio dept.

• 4 weeks later...

My physio says that for some exercises a wobble board is great, but for a lot of people they'd be better off just folding a pillow in half, putting it on the floor and standing on it. Surprisingly hard! Good for balance and ankle stability. So depending on what exercises your physio has set you, maybe consider other options before running out and buying a wobble board :)