Royal Ballet (ROH) season announcement 2019/20

On 21/05/2019 at 21:04, Dawnstar said:

Going a bit off topic here but I'm 2 years older than you & I too am not sure if I count a younger audience member or not. By the standards of most opera audiences I'm at the younger end but I've been seeing opera at the ROH for 15 years so am I actually part of the repeat audience that the ROH seem to want to get rid of...?

Actually I found ROH audience age is much better distributed than the rest of places I had been. Partially because there are many art students in London and partially because many tourists put RoH on the list of thing to do in west end...

Well I started my opera years when I was 21-22 in SF war memorial opera house. I could hardy find anyone of the same age as me or even anyone without grey hair.

In ROH I often make the opening night of a ballet on the front row of Amphi to get a overall view then pick some other dates to sit downstairs. Usually the front row of the opening night is a treat, surrounding by real fans:)

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, capybara said:

It appears that the Period 1 casting will not now emerge until next week “due to unforeseen circumstances”.

Hmmm. Probably the admin assistant who was meant to publish it is off sick.  But I suppose it COULD mean a senior dancer is joining or leaving the company that we don't know about yet...

All will be revealed soon enough.

• Like 1

On 21/05/2019 at 08:35, Jan McNulty said:

I'm not being funny but how does it benefit the dancers?

On 21/05/2019 at 08:51, bangorballetboy said:

It's so that they have more rest time at a weekend.  The matinée usually starts early when it is the only show they are doing that day; on double show days the matinée usually starts later.

On 21/05/2019 at 13:52, alison said:

I'd always assumed it was down to opera scheduling - either for a long-running one in the evening, or so they could fit another rehearsal of one act of something inbetween the two performances!  But perhaps the two aren't mutually exclusive.

Well...even if it is for the benefit of the dancers, the thinking seems to have spread to the opera company too: with the exception of Alice’s Adventures Under Ground (which is I think very short), their Saturday matinees all start at 12pm as well, with no obvious reason.

17 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

Pricing now seems to be fully visible for the Autumn season.

Thanks, Lizbie1.  I've just had a quick look and have noticed that the Beauty prices are back to Swan Lake Levels for some areas of the House.  £30 for restricted view front side amphitheatre seats!  I can, sort of, understand why they felt the need to do it for a new production but Beauty is not new!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Bluebird said:

Thanks, Lizbie1.  I've just had a quick look and have noticed that the Beauty prices are back to Swan Lake Levels for some areas of the House.  £30 for restricted view front side amphitheatre seats!  I can, sort of, understand why they felt the need to do it for a new production but Beauty is not new!

Oh no! I’d hoped we’d seen the back of that price band arrangement :(

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lizbie1 said:

Oh no! I’d hoped we’d seen the back of that price band arrangement :(

Looking again - I think it’s even worse this time: the seats immediately above the mid-Amphi entrances that remained in the lower band for Swan Lake have now been swept up as well.

On 24/05/2019 at 10:58, RuthE said:

Hmmm. Probably the admin assistant who was meant to publish it is off sick.  But I suppose it COULD mean a senior dancer is joining or leaving the company that we don't know about yet...

All will be revealed soon enough.

My immediate thought was maybe they're having to make re-arrangements due to injuries. Given they haven't yet updated the website with even the cast changes that must be happening for the triple bill that starts in 10 days (surely McRae, Takada & Heap are all now out).

It's usually when they return from tour, though it's been a little earlier in the last couple of years.

Though do I recall correctly that last year they mentioned joiners and promotions but never actually told us officially who had left?

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

Anyone heard anything about when the Autumn casting will be announced? On Tuesday I was told it was "imminent" and would be up by today. Nothing yet...😕

It has been available to some levels of ROH Membership since Tuesday.

Maybe there is some kind of hold-up on the website which is also affecting their updating the casting for next week.

• Like 1

Just now, capybara said:

It has been available to some levels of ROH Membership since Tuesday.

Maybe there is some kind of hold-up on the website which is also affecting their updating the casting for next week.

If that is official, presumably  the details could be shared by some kind person  in the know? 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

If that is official, presumably  the details could be shared by some kind person  in the know? 

I believe that someone who is a Patron very kindly shared the casting on here a few years back but came in for a bit of implied 'stick' for being a higher level friend. I doubt if they would want to put their heads above the parapet again!

It will all the more exciting when we finally know........... 😉

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, capybara said:

I believe that someone who is a Patron very kindly shared the casting on here a few years back but came in for a bit of implied 'stick' for being a higher level friend. I doubt if they would want to put their heads above the parapet again!

It will all the more exciting when we finally know........... 😉

Sometimes people are asked to keep things like this confidential until the official announcement.  Not necessarily RB but I have known of this occasionally with other companies.  With the advent of the internet, if people leak on line advance information could be withdrawn.

• Like 1

Still no casting details a week after they were due! I wonder if this means we have to wait till next week.... :(

By then it'll only be a month for advance booking for Friends, so surely they must be out soon! 

First the delay to announcing the whole season itself (was a reason for this ever given?) and now this. Wonder if this is what is to be expected for the future. I guess we can still be grateful that RB do announce casting in advance, unlike ENB. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/05/2019 at 21:58, bangorballetboy said:

The Heritage programme in the Linbury will be RB & BRB and hopefully one more company. It will include 2 Ashton pieces, one of which will be Dante Sonata (BRB).

Talk of Margaret Barbieri being in town for the Fonteyn Insight has started me daydreaming: wouldn't it be wonderful if the "other company" were Sarasota Ballet?

• Like 7

23 hours ago, Lizbie1 said:

Talk of Margaret Barbieri being in town for the Fonteyn Insight has started me daydreaming: wouldn't it be wonderful if the "other company" were Sarasota Ballet?

Definitely!!!! 

I don't understand this culture of secrecy - do TPTB think that knowing who is dancing Coppelia is so important that they have to suppress it?  After all it's hardly going to affect the world situation.

Why not release the information as soon as it's been arranged with the dancer(s) concerned.  It's not easy for ballet enthusiasts having to plan so far ahead, why make it more difficult? 

Linda

4 minutes ago, loveclassics said:

I don't understand this culture of secrecy - do TPTB think that knowing who is dancing Coppelia is so important that they have to suppress it?  After all it's hardly going to affect the world situation.

Why not release the information as soon as it's been arranged with the dancer(s) concerned.  It's not easy for ballet enthusiasts having to plan so far ahead, why make it more difficult? 

Linda

I don’t understand. The casting for Coppélia is on the website.

• Like 4

Yes the casting is there, but not where it usually was listed.  If you look at the page of dates for Coppelia  the cast is listed under each date, near the red button 'not on sale/see prices'.  I missed it myself as it used to be listed at the side after you clicked on a particular date.  

Hope that helps Linda.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if there’s a need for a new thread but with Friends booking opening from today, I thought it worth saying that the packages are pretty flexible, include my favourite seats (H Sides Orchestra Stalls), and offer significant discounts.  They are only available in certain areas but I was very pleased to book a couple of ‘all ballet’ packages and a few other performances.  

Would I have booked without the discount?  Probably although perhaps I might have booked cheaper seats for one or two performances given recent price increases.  But the discount has in effect taken prices back to what I was paying a number of years ago.  

I do wonder why the Royal Opera House has given such discounts and particularly how they can be justified for the more expensive seats in the Stalls/Stalls Circle (20% for Opera, 18% for Ballet) when Amphitheatre packages offer discounts of 12% Opera and 10% Ballet.  With pressure to increase Box Office revenue, I do hope someone has looked at all this and has the necessary analyses to provide appropriate  assurances to management and Finance/Audit Committees.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Richard LH said:

John you got me going there for a moment, thinking I had missed the date. I see  however it is just Premium 2 Friends who can book from today...

I had a bit of a panic as well !

• Like 1

Apologies Richard and MJW (and anyone else) - I knew what I meant by ‘Friends booking opening from today’ but should have been a bit more careful.  

It’s bad enough when booking actually opens without being panicked into thinking I’ve missed the date.  Not having booked a package before I blithely booked a second package without having added my first package to my basket.  When checking out I realised my mistake, rebooked what I thought was my first package, but then found I’d booked neighbouring seats for my second package.  Fortunately I was able to rebook pretty much the seats I’d originally tried to book so was pretty pleased with the end result. 

I still find the website a trial and seemed to spend a fair bit of time resetting the filters.  In the past I’ve often finished booking by 9:10.  Today confirmation of my final order came through just after 9:30 but 10 minutes would have been down to my own ineptitude.

Wishing everybody stress free booking over the next few days/weeks.

• Like 4

I've never tried getting a package before, because I've never wanted to see enough operas in one booking period for it to work, but I've just realised that as I want to see all the ballets in the next booking period then it might be worth looking into & seeing if I can afford it, so thanks for the heads-up @JohnS.

Edit: Drat, just checked the FAQs on the ROH website & neither side stalls circle nor the first two rows of the stalls are apparently available for packages. Looks like I'll be sticking to single tickets then.

Edited by Dawnstar