Sign in to follow this  
Don Q Fan

Royal Ballet (ROH) season announcement 2019/20

1 hour ago, Jan McNulty said:

Is it possible to find out the seat prices for performances in the Linbury?

The Magazine only gives the range of prices, eg:

Cunningham/ Ashton ..etc £5 - £25

Dance umbrella £7-£35

Northern Ballet £6-£40

Edited by Bluebird

On 14/05/2019 at 18:06, Lizbie1 said:

It’s the “Heritage” (awful word) mixed bill I’m most interested in, and it’s the one we have least information about so far - has anyone heard anything more about it?

There’s nothing concrete to go on in the Friends’ season guide, but the blurb says that the programme will include works by MacMillan and Ashton and it’s illustrated with a picture of BRB in Dante Sonata (getting my hopes up here but expecting them to be cruelly dashed!).

While I don’t like the idea of these works being relegated to Heritage Corner, wouldn’t it be wonderful if this proves enough of a success that exploring the back catalogue through a run in the Linbury becomes an annual event?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bluebird said:

The Magazine only gives the range of prices, eg:

Cunningham/ Ashton ..etc £5 - £25

Dance umbrella £7-£35

Northern Ballet £6-£40

Thanks!

BTW, is anyone familiar with Doncaster's theatre?  I'm wondering what the RB might be performing there.

*Such* an interesting article from the Gramophone in today’s links about the Marston commission: https://www.gramophone.co.uk/feature/the-royal-ballet-commissions-cathy-marston-to-celebrate-the-life-of-jacqueline-du-pre

One of the things I admire most about Cathy Marston is that she never falls into cliche, even when her subject positively invites it. I was apprehensive on that front when they announced that the new ballet would be about Jacqueline du Pre and feature the Elgar concerto (I worried that her story had been done to death) but I’m very reassured by this interview.

• Like 9

19 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

I’m very reassured by this interview

Thanks for posting the link.  I think this could be an extremely moving work, given the music and the subject matter. 

Here is Jacqueline  du Pre playing the concerto .... 

Edited by Richard LH
Added link
  • Like 2

'There’s one matter, however, on which Marston is very much decided. This will not be a ballet that dwells on scandal and tragedy. '

Thank goodness for that- I was worried this would be yet another work dwelling on  a female victim, illness and death etc - but it sounds much more like a celebration of talent, for a change.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Mary said:

it sounds much more like a celebration of talent.....

and hopefully of a bubbly, fun-loving young woman who brought joy and huge affection into the lives of everyone who knew and worked with her.

• Like 5

Thanks for posting the link to the concerto, Richard LH. I intended to dip into it, but once started I couldn't stop. Mesmerisingly beautiful.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alison said:

BTW, is anyone familiar with Doncaster's theatre?  I'm wondering what the RB might be performing there.

It's a lovely venue, bright and modern with great sightlines. Small, though, at 600 and something seats. 

Edited by RHowarth
  • Like 2