Royal Ballet (ROH) season announcement 2019/20

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not being accustomed to it, I managed to completely forget about rehearsal booking until midday. By which point the website was working fine but there were no tickets lower than the amphi available for Manon. Guess I'll have to hope more might be released later.

On 12/07/2019 at 10:08, Dawnstar said:

I did look at how front-ended the ballet booking season is & wondered if the RB had a temporary cash-flow shortage! There only seems to be one main-stage ballet in the final booking period compared to 4 in the first one. I'm fortunate that most of the operas I want to see are in the latter part of the season, which helps to spread the overall ROH cost out a bit.

Can anyone give me some advice on rehearsal booking, as that I see doesn't open until next week. Given the instructions say you can only book one ticket initially but can book up to 3 more later, I'm guessing that means more tickets are released nearer the time once they know which seats are & aren't required for the production team etc. Therefore is it better to try to grab a ticket as soon as rehearsal booking opens or is it better to wait until nearer the time? Are better seats, i.e. nearer the stage, more like to appear later?

Frankenstein

10 hours ago, MrsBBB said:

I think it’s hilarious that the LA Times reviewer believes that McGregor choreographed Inferno between the first public performance of the music in May and the ballet premiere in July 🤣 https://www.latimes.com/entertainment/arts/la-et-cm-ades-mcgregor-laphil-review-20190714-story.html

McGregor was coincidentally rehearsing Inferno at the ROH with Sambe and Stix-Brunell on the afternoon of 10 May (i.e. just hours before the music for the finished work was premiered in LA). I believe that the music being used in the rehearsal was from another McGregor work and that there was reference to the final music being  awaited. So I suppose there would still have been  a lot of tweaking to do  over the following 10 weeks to fit the dancing to the new music. I am not sure how these things usually work, but perhaps McGregor  has  a particularly flexible approach? 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

I am not sure how these things usually work, but perhaps McGregor  has  a particularly flexible approach? 

Adès has a reputation for cutting it rather fine, so I wouldn’t be surprised if this scenario had been anticipated.

• Like 2

While this thread's being bumped, I'd forgotten, I was going to ask whether anyone had had any joy in trying to convert the performance information on the ROH website into a convenient off-line form, say an Excel file?  I tried right-clicking and saving as Excel, but it came out as a real mess.

8 hours ago, bangorballetboy said:

If you’ve ever watched McGregor choreographing, you’ll realise the music is often relatively irrelevant!

That was rather the impression I got from the rehearsal. It must be difficult for the dancers if there isn't a clear soundtrack to follow...

6 hours ago, alison said:

While this thread's being bumped, I'd forgotten, I was going to ask whether anyone had had any joy in trying to convert the performance information on the ROH website into a convenient off-line form, say an Excel file?  I tried right-clicking and saving as Excel, but it came out as a real mess.

I  create an Excel spreadsheet manually and include non-ROH stuff: once done it proves very useful throughout the season.

On 18/07/2019 at 14:00, Dawnstar said:

Not being accustomed to it, I managed to completely forget about rehearsal booking until midday. By which point the website was working fine but there were no tickets lower than the amphi available for Manon. Guess I'll have to hope more might be released later.

Generally only amphi seats are available for general rehearsals. 

21 hours ago, alison said:

Does the site give the option to download the data as a .csv file?  That type of file is quite easy to open within Excel and format the columns and rows the way you want them.  But somehow I doubt that the ROH website provides something so useful.

Linda

13 hours ago, SPD444 said:

Generally only amphi seats are available for general rehearsals. 

In fact, all but the Orchestra Stalls (which are kept for tech, photographers, and company members) and standing places (which for some reason are not made available for rehearsals) are available in one way or another; a large proportion of the rest of the house is initially reserved for the use of the company and their guests, and then Patrons and higher-level Friends hoover up most of what’s left in the lower tiers of the house during their priority booking period. Typically, on the day when booking is made available to Supporting Friends, Friends +, Friends (etc), if you get in fast, there’s often a tiny smattering of tickets still available in the Stalls Circle and Balcony besides a large number in the Amphitheatre.

As with public performances, however, it is often possible to pick up a better seat as a return at a later date, or (for example) after a number of the wheelchair spaces have been deemed not required.

On 22/07/2019 at 07:01, Richard LH said:

That was rather the impression I got from the rehearsal. It must be difficult for the dancers if there isn't a clear soundtrack to follow...

Not really Richard as dancers often learn choreography without music at first, using counts.

Its often only once you've learnt the moves, that you then add the music and start to work on musicality in the movement. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Clara_f said:

Not really Richard as dancers often learn choreography without music at first, using counts.

Its often only once you've learnt the moves, that you then add the music and start to work on musicality in the movement. 

Thanks Clara...I did wonder how it was done!

6 hours ago, RuthE said:

As with public performances, however, it is often possible to pick up a better seat as a return at a later date, or (for example) after a number of the wheelchair spaces have been deemed not required.

That's what I'm hoping for...

• 2 weeks later...

Might as well post this here, I guess: it's something I've been meaning to ask for a while - does anyone have any idea why on earth there are such a ridiculously large number of performances of the Concerto bill this autumn?

22 minutes ago, alison said:

Might as well post this here, I guess: it's something I've been meaning to ask for a while - does anyone have any idea why on earth there are such a ridiculously large number of performances of the Concerto bill this autumn?

I wouldn't call 10 performances 'ridiculously large', though it does look like more than usual. But I'm normally dismayed by how few performances there are of triple bills, given the amount of work that goes into staging them, and especially if it's a successful bill. All three works in this bill are top quality, so I assume the ROH thinks they will sell.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, alison said:

My (unsubstantiated) theory is that the later clutch of performances around Christmas replaced some pencilled in performances of Cinderella, which I think a few people here were expecting to be scheduled.

This might also help to explain why we have so little Ashton next season.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...