Royal Ballet (ROH) season announcement 2019/20

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Careful, I thought I had been buying tickets but they have disappeared from my upcoming events and had no email confirmation.

Tickets have now re-appeared in my upcoming events and have just received confirmation email - WHAT IS GOING ON????

Edited by SPD444

I thought the site felt sluggish when I booked a few days ago, with both production pages and particularly the seat selection opening slowly. With all the changes made, someone really should have looked at response time and realised that they are in for a hiding. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ninamargaret said:

I kept getting messages telling me I hadn't bought the right number of tickets and the seating plan kept disappearing. I've just started using Microsoft Edge - maybe the ROH web site doesn't like it.

This seems a useful note for you to send to CustomerServices@roh.org.uk

For Manon (and  only for Manon as far as I can see) one block of 5  stalls circle seats, B71 to B75, have been priced much lower than usual - £30 (or less if part of a package). This compares to £95 for the equivalent B seats on the other side of the auditorium, and £85 for the C seats behind. 

Understandably a lot of these have been taken now, but a few  currently  remain for some of the casts, and would be a good bargain.

(I also posted this is on the ROH website thread but repeat it here as someone may benefit!)

Well, the 2019-20 season guide dropped onto my doormat yesterday.  Thick, glossy and very nice to look at (and in a compostable wrapper, hurrah!), but it would be a lot more useful if it actually gave dates and times, rather than just date ranges.  As it is, it means I'm still going to have to visit the website for all the pertinent information :( 

12 minutes ago, alison said:

Well, the 2019-20 season guide dropped onto my doormat yesterday.  Thick, glossy and very nice to look at (and in a compostable wrapper, hurrah!), but it would be a lot more useful if it actually gave dates and times, rather than just date ranges.  As it is, it means I'm still going to have to visit the website for all the pertinent information :( 

There’s a full calendar list of performances in side the back cover

The 'Winter' magazine has just come out. But, confusingly, at the back, it only lists the performances for the 'winter season', not the ones already advertised as part of the 'autumn' offer.

The 'new entries' used to be differentiated from the others by being printed in bold type and it seemed helpful to set them in the context of the overall schedule.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, capybara said:

The 'Winter' magazine has just come out. But, confusingly, at the back, it only lists the performances for the 'winter season', not the ones already advertised as part of the 'autumn' offer.

The 'new entries' used to be differentiated from the others by being printed in bold type and it seemed helpful to set them in the context of the overall schedule.

Agreed - it was also the case that the Autumn magazine didn’t include Winter performances so it looked as if the ROH was not performing between 23 to 28 December when there are a couple of Traviatas.  The heading is quite clear - Autumn (or Winter) performances in a date range but it’s useful to know what is going on when planning trips without having to go to the website or another magazine.

Given the comments earlier about booking problems, I was a bit worried about being able to book this morning when Friends Booking opened (especially as I had to book at work on my employer's slower system) but thankfully it was fine. Just need a mortgage to cover the cost!

• Like 4

I've just done a lot of booking (having finally succumbed & bought Friends membership - so many people posting here about booking that I was irrationally afraid ther wouldn't be any tickets left for general booking!) and, apart from having to refresh a few seating plans when they got stuck loading, the website worked well. Maybe I should try not booking as soon as it opens again in the future! I too think I now need a mortgage. I've spent so much money I'm hoping my bank doesn't block my card! I guess it should know me by now...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

I've just done a lot of booking (having finally succumbed & bought Friends membership - so many people posting here about booking that I was irrationally afraid ther wouldn't be any tickets left for general booking!) and, apart from having to refresh a few seating plans when they got stuck loading, the website worked well. Maybe I should try not booking as soon as it opens again in the future! I too think I now need a mortgage. I've spent so much money I'm hoping my bank doesn't block my card! I guess it should know me by now...

Dawnstar, if you carry on attending at your current rate you’ll probably find Friends membership more than pays for itself as you can generally pick up better value seats - often a rung cheaper than you might normally go for - than you would if you waited for General booking.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, capybara said:

I take it Winter casting isn't in the new magazine. Any idea when it might be available? I'm thinking especially of Onegin.

8 hours ago, jmhopton said:

I take it Winter casting isn't in the new magazine. Any idea when it might be available? I'm thinking especially of Onegin.

No, no casting. However, I have heard that it will be made available before anyone’s booking starts in early August.

10 hours ago, Lizbie1 said:

Dawnstar, if you carry on attending at your current rate you’ll probably find Friends membership more than pays for itself as you can generally pick up better value seats - often a rung cheaper than you might normally go for - than you would if you waited for General booking.

I'd love that to be the case. It certainly wasn't yesterday evening. I ended up buying more more expensive tickets as the cheaper side stalls were in fairly short supply for what I wanted, especially for SB. Of course it might be that they all went first thing in the morning & if I get in on time rather than 12h late next time I might fare better.

58 minutes ago, capybara said:

No, no casting. However, I have heard that it will be made available before anyone’s booking starts in early August.

MORE booking?!!! I haven't recovered from yesterday's overspend yet...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, capybara said:

Friends from early September. They want to get all that lovely Swan Lake money in soonest!

I did look at how front-ended the ballet booking season is & wondered if the RB had a temporary cash-flow shortage! There only seems to be one main-stage ballet in the final booking period compared to 4 in the first one. I'm fortunate that most of the operas I want to see are in the latter part of the season, which helps to spread the overall ROH cost out a bit.

Can anyone give me some advice on rehearsal booking, as that I see doesn't open until next week. Given the instructions say you can only book one ticket initially but can book up to 3 more later, I'm guessing that means more tickets are released nearer the time once they know which seats are & aren't required for the production team etc. Therefore is it better to try to grab a ticket as soon as rehearsal booking opens or is it better to wait until nearer the time? Are better seats, i.e. nearer the stage, more like to appear later?

1 hour ago, Dawnstar said:

I did look at how front-ended the ballet booking season is & wondered if the RB had a temporary cash-flow shortage! There only seems to be one main-stage ballet in the final booking period compared to 4 in the first one.

That's not uncommon, as the RB season usually ends quite a bit earlier than the RO one.  Plus usually Nutcracker gets shoehorned into the "autumn" period regardless of scheduling.  Possibly, also, they're thinking that Coppelia won't sell quite as quickly as Nutcracker would?

1 hour ago, Dawnstar said:

I did look at how front-ended the ballet booking season is & wondered if the RB had a temporary cash-flow shortage! There only seems to be one main-stage ballet in the final booking period compared to 4 in the first one. I'm fortunate that most of the operas I want to see are in the latter part of the season, which helps to spread the overall ROH cost out a bit.

Can anyone give me some advice on rehearsal booking, as that I see doesn't open until next week. Given the instructions say you can only book one ticket initially but can book up to 3 more later, I'm guessing that means more tickets are released nearer the time once they know which seats are & aren't required for the production team etc. Therefore is it better to try to grab a ticket as soon as rehearsal booking opens or is it better to wait until nearer the time? Are better seats, i.e. nearer the stage, more like to appear later?

The FAQ page says "The majority of tickets available for Friends are located in the amphitheatre".  http://www.roh.org.uk/support/membership/friends/friends-rehearsals-faqs

That said,  for the only two  rehearsals I have seen, I got seats  in the Balcony ( B56  La Bayadere)  and  Stalls Circle (B31 Unknown Soldier triple), and I booked those on the first day Friends could do so. 

I can't recall if there was anything available closer to the stage than Stalls Circle B31; nothing in the orchestra stalls, I think, where various watching ballet stars could be spotted! 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

The FAQ page says "The majority of tickets available for Friends are located in the amphitheatre".  http://www.roh.org.uk/support/membership/friends/friends-rehearsals-faqs

That said,  for the only two  rehearsals I have seen, I got seats  in the Balcony ( B56  La Bayadere)  and  Stalls Circle (B31 Unknown Soldier triple), and I booked those on the first day Friends could do so. 

I can't recall if there was anything available closer to the stage than Stalls Circle B31; nothing in the orchestra stalls, I think, where various watching ballet stars could be spotted! 

Thanks. I wouldn't expect there to be anything in the stalls. It was stalls circle I was thinking of, as I've seen people offering stalls circle rehearsal tickets for re-sale on here. It sounds like I should at least look as soon as booking opens next Thursday then.