Royal Ballet (ROH) season announcement 2019/20

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

Edit: Drat, just checked the FAQs on the ROH website & neither side stalls circle nor the first two rows of the stalls are apparently available for packages. Looks like I'll be sticking to single tickets then.

Dawnstar  I know they say "Our packages will usually contain Orchestra Stalls Rows C-W Centre, Stalls Circle Rows A-C Centre and Amphitheatre Rows B–F Centre and B–E Sides" but I think by "usually contain" they mean "usually include".   

I have  booked several  Stalls Circle sides seats through packages.  There are some available now e.g. look at  La Fille du Régiment for 18th July.

I can't remember if I have seen seats in the first two row of the Orchestra Stalls available for ballet packages, but certainly  some are available for opera at present e.g. look at Carmen 16th July. 

(By the same token the current opera package seats available in the Amphi are not restricted to "Rows B–F Centre and B–E Sides" either).

• Like 1

It's only the very 'top price' seats in the stated areas of the house which are included in the packages. The popular front row of the Stalls and the front row sides of the Stalls Circle are not available within discounted packages.

41 minutes ago, capybara said:

It's only the very 'top price' seats in the stated areas of the house which are included in the packages. The popular front row of the Stalls and the front row sides of the Stalls Circle are not available within discounted packages.

capybara do you mean that this has changed for the forthcoming ballet season? Because, as I indicated above, last year I booked several front row sides seats in the Stalls Circle through packages, and there are currently such seats (and front row Orchestra Stalls seats) available for summer opera packages. 

Edited by Richard LH

I was told quite recently that the front row of the Stalls and the sides of the Stalls Circle were not available for packages for ballet.

I apologise if this is misinformation but it did emanate from the ROH.

Edited by capybara

Just to add, in case people draw wrong conclusions from this discussion, these packages can only be booked from the same dates as other ("normal") bookings. The advantages are the discounts, not any lead on booking dates. 

As far as I can see the Amphi packages only cover centre B-F and sides B-E. And you have to book the same number of tickets for each performance.

I wish they'd just offer a discount based on the number of tickets booked, in all areas of the house. It would be a lot easier for everyone, and a lot fairer.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Geoff said:

Just to add, in case people draw wrong conclusions from this discussion, these packages can only be booked from the same dates as other ("normal") bookings. The advantages are the discounts, not any lead on booking dates. 

I don’t think this is quite true: Autumn Package dates are being advertised as 10 July for Friends and 1 August for General booking, with individual productions available from 11 July and 7 August respectively.

There is however no such time advantage for higher level Friends.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, bridiem said:

I wish they'd just offer a discount based on the number of tickets booked, in all areas of the house. It would be a lot easier for everyone, and a lot fairer.

Now why haven't they thought of that?

By far the fairest approach and one which would definitely encourage additional bookings.It would also have the effect of rewarding 'the regulars' - nice thought!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, capybara said:

Now why haven't they thought of that?

By far the fairest approach and one which would definitely encourage additional bookings.It would also have the effect of rewarding 'the regulars' - nice thought!

I guess because that would be contrary to their strategy of trying to bring in more first timers.

Reflecting on what seems to me to have been a patchy season at the box office (for both ballet and opera) I wonder whether there’ll be a rethink about how much ROH can take regulars for granted. A more universal subscription scheme would be a welcome gesture in that direction.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bridiem said:

I wonder what discount would be appropriate for the 90 tickets I booked yesterday (noting that there were three insight events I couldn't book as they were "sold out").

7 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

I wonder what discount would be appropriate for the 90 tickets I booked yesterday (noting that there were three insight events I couldn't book as they were "sold out").

Not sure about that BBB, but can you help out on our earlier discussion as to what category seats are available for the package bookings?

14 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

Wow!!

I assume the ROH has an overall figure/percentage of notional ticket income that they're prepared to 'lose' in packages/discounts. But there must be various different potential ways of 'packaging' this, and I think the current offers are overly complicated and I'm not sure who they're really aimed at. Newcomers aren't likely to book a package anyway, and regulars often don't find what they want in them.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, bridiem said:

I think the current offers are overly complicated and I'm not sure who they're really aimed at. Newcomers aren't likely to book a package anyway, and regulars often don't find what they want in them.

I agree - the only big take-up that I’ve noticed is when there’s blockbuster casting in one of the constituent operas and people don’t want to risk leaving it the extra week.

What seats/sections are available? 
Each type of package will be made available in an Orchestra Stalls (inc. Stalls Circle) and Amphitheatre package, where the best seats will be on offer. You can choose any seats within the available price types and sections using our select your own seat functionality or best available option. Our packages will usually contain Orchestra Stalls Rows C-W Centre, Stalls Circle Rows A-C Centre and Amphitheatre Rows B–F Centre and B–E Sides.

More details are here: http://www.roh.org.uk/help/package-faqs

I find the packages too restrictive most of the time as you have to book the same number of seats for all performances.  I tend to go on my own, but there will be performances I want to attend with my 9 year old daughter and I can't risk not being able to book an adjacent seat at a later date for her and she can't sit on her own.  Plus, I tend to vary where I sit in the auditorium depending on finances and who or what is performing or being performed.  

• Like 2

The following message is currently on the ROH website:

WEBSITE ALERT: PURCHASES ARE CURRENTLY UNAVAILABLE, INCLUDING OVER THE PHONE AND IN PERSON, WHILE WE RESOLVE A TECHNICAL ISSUE. OUR APOLOGIES FOR ANY INCONVENIENCE.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, onemouseplace said:

I was thinking the same - let alone General Release!

Agree - but at least they’ll have a couple of weeks to sort things out before General booking (though history suggests that won’t be enough).

I used to believe ROH staff kept an eye on what was written here. Now I am not so sure: we warned weeks ago that this particular season would place extraordinary pressure on their booking system. 

And what did they do?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Geoff said:

I used to believe ROH staff kept an eye on what was written here. Now I am not so sure: we warned weeks ago that this particular season would place extraordinary pressure on their booking system. 

And what did they do?

And this only for Friends+ , goodness knows when it gets to general booking.