Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
DeveloppeD

Leotard for Larger Dancer

Recommended Posts

Hello, 

 

i wonder if anyone has any recommendations for leotards more flattering for larger dancers? I’m an overweight student with an exam soon. I’m just looking for something to cover me up a bit more than the RAD Faith leotard that is the standard for my school - it just sits too low for my personal preference. 

 

Thank you 

xx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've worn the Bloch Adagio leotard for an exam before - it's a tank leotard with gathered front but sits high enough I can wear a sports bra underneath. (I wear a Large due to my height rather than weight - and black runs smaller than the other colours).

 

Does it have to be a specific colour? Does your school need you to wear a leotard with an RAD logo on it? (RAD exam rules don't require it) I've never found any of the official Freed leotards to be cut right for my body shape.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bloch is a good suggestion.  Also, if you can wear a black leotard, this might be worth trying as it has a built in bra:  https://www.justballet.co.uk/collections/ladies/products/capezio-bratek-camisole-leotard

 

or if you prefer a tank leo with a dance bra underneath, this might do (I think this also comes in other colours) as the front ruching is adjustable:  https://www.justballet.co.uk/collections/ladies/products/just-ballet-black-tank-leotard

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you need much larger than a uk 14? Most of the bigger brands like capezio and Bloch seem to stop at about that size. I was browsing an American site the other day and noticed they had a specific plus size section so that might give you more choice? If the ones mentioned I’ve had the capezio bratek and it’s pretty flattering and a decent thick material

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I won't go on too much about this as it has been a bugbear of mine for the last five or six years now and nothing has changed in that time!

As Moomin says if you are any larger than a size 14 it's not going to be a good outcome( I usually say something much stronger but perhaps not on the Forum) 

If you are taller ....say over 5ft 6ins .....AND have a fuller figure ....OR a larger frame ( I have both) as well ...you won't get a nice fitting leotard in the UK is my experience! Some taller people who still have small frames may be okay but my experience is that the leotards press down on the shoulders and feel restrictive .....or are very low cut at the back so look horrible( in my view) if you need to wear a bra underneath etc. 

Ive totally given up bothering to wear one for normal class attendance but when have had to have a leotard for performing.....especially in a more unusual colour ....have had to send to the USA for it to get a truely comfortable size. These have been great and in a really nice material I think Dance Direct may be able to get things in from the USA as well.

I seem to remember the Capezio shop in London also got me in a larger leotard for a show once but had to order in especially etc.

 

I have never yet found an off the shelf leotard that fits in any ballet shop in London at any rate and have tried them all! 

To be fair to most ballet shops they are not catering for an adult customer which is why most are in such small sizes......though in recent years there has been more of a surge in older adults involved in ballet so there is definitely a niche in the market there for somebody!

Ive found Capezio shop to be the best generally for adult wear......they also sell a range of "nude" coloured bras with transparent straps etc to fit separately into leotards if you don't find the inbuilt ones supportive enough. 

 

I wear a lot of Uniglo tops for class both short and full sleeve so have the leotard effect but of course not much use if you taking an exam.

You can have them Taylor made to fit your exact size but this is a very expensive route! WearMoi used to offer this service but I last used them about six years ago now so not sure if still do.

 

Well rant over .....but everybody is slightly different so here's hoping you find a make you really like. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by LinMM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it’s just at the front that the leotard sits too low for you, would the invisible/nude coloured elastic used for pointe shoes be of any use if sewn across the ‘cleavage’ exposing section of the leotard? A 6’ tall dancer at DD’s dance school once did this with a leotard which wasn’t long enough for her to feel comfortable that she wasn’t going to expose too much at the front. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks everyone. I’ve checked with my teacher and I’m allowed a different leotard as long as it’s in navy. That’s a good idea about the nude/invisible strap bras. I’m definitely going to look into that!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've recently returned to adult ballet at the grand old age of 56 and like the fit of Eurotard leos. I'm a size 12-14 but a shortie and I wear size L. I can wear an enormous sports bra under it (14DD) without it showing, which is the main thing I care about! Not sure where you can get them in the UK but I'm sure someone will know.

Edited by Cara in NZ
Added leo size

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Think I need to find these too! Ironic as just replied to a post about teeny tiny beautiful Degas leotards.... definitely NOT for me 😆😱

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Peanut68 said:

Think I need to find these too! Ironic as just replied to a post about teeny tiny beautiful Degas leotards.... definitely NOT for me 😆😱

 

Hi DeveloppeD

 

I have the 9501 in stock in black in a T5...and 9639 in black in a T4. Both Degas. The former is spaghetti straps and the latter a tank style that you could wear a nude bra underneath. 

 

Maybe not suitable for an exam, but we have a So danca lace top leo in black in a 7 (XL) and the Intermezzo lace back leo in XL and XXL.

 

Also Ainsliewear Kirsty in XL, and the Capezio Bratek in XL, both camisole style :)

 

All on our site or give me a ring on Thursday and I can discuss with anyine :) (closed tomorrow) 

sheila x

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Roughly what size is the XXL Sheila?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I need a (kept secret from DD) trip I think to  see Sheila at Just Ballet so I can try find a Leotard to fit me....

I have bought various online ones  but never yet found a nice fit....& must say have wimped out of tryng any on in my local dance wear shops due to disdainful looks from teen staff....worse than being in a Primark communal changing room (an error I only once made.... realised I was probably older than most of their Grans & do hope they give more respect to them than they did to me that day.... I shudder at the memory.... its not like I was trying on Kylie style hot pants.... rather a jumper & a pair of jeans! But the looks & commments were well, cruel & actually pretty funny too remembering how it was being 15 nice upon a time! ..... ah, the luxury  - & fickleness - of youth! But they will be 50 something’s as well one day all too soon....Ha!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow that's me ....I'm a 16! Must look into these!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, LinMM said:

Roughly what size is the XXL Sheila?

 

This is a bit off-topic from the OP because the leotards I'm talking about are too fussy/lacy for exams, but I just wanted to chip in and say that Sheila recently sold me 2 leotards including the So Danca lace top one she mentions.  You've met me, I'm a bit smaller than you but you've seen how curvy I am. The Large/size 6 fits me beautifully and it's VERY stretchy, so I think you might consider giving the size 7 a try.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Ruth ....I'm nearly always going to be the largest they do because I'm tall and wide framed!  

If size 7 is the top size that may be it!! 

Its like tights ....I have to get the largest that any maker produces so they fit right up into the torso! 

 

Are the leotards Sheila sold you on her website? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve ordered a new navy leotard that looks like the neck line is quite high so fingers crossed that works out. There’s not a lot I can do in 7 weeks about my weight or the size of my stomach and thighs sadly. But at least hopefully I can remove the worry of my chest falling out 🤭 

I’m definitely going to take a road trip to Sheila’s shop though, it sounds wonderful. Maybe over the summer. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Thanks Ruth ....I'm nearly always going to be the largest they do because I'm tall and wide framed!  

If size 7 is the top size that may be it!! 

Its like tights ....I have to get the largest that any maker produces so they fit right up into the torso! 

 

Are the leotards Sheila sold you on her website? 

Here it is Lynn x

https://www.justballet.co.uk/products/so-danca-lace-top-leotard

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 04/05/2019 at 13:17, LinMM said:

Well I won't go on too much about this as it has been a bugbear of mine for the last five or six years now and nothing has changed in that time!

As Moomin says if you are any larger than a size 14 it's not going to be a good outcome( I usually say something much stronger but perhaps not on the Forum) 

If you are taller ....say over 5ft 6ins .....AND have a fuller figure ....OR a larger frame ( I have both) as well ...you won't get a nice fitting leotard in the UK is my experience! Some taller people who still have small frames may be okay but my experience is that the leotards press down on the shoulders and feel restrictive .....or are very low cut at the back so look horrible( in my view) if you need to wear a bra underneath etc. 

Ive totally given up bothering to wear one for normal class attendance but when have had to have a leotard for performing.....especially in a more unusual colour ....have had to send to the USA for it to get a truely comfortable size. These have been great and in a really nice material I think Dance Direct may be able to get things in from the USA as well.

I seem to remember the Capezio shop in London also got me in a larger leotard for a show once but had to order in especially etc.

 

I have never yet found an off the shelf leotard that fits in any ballet shop in London at any rate and have tried them all! 

To be fair to most ballet shops they are not catering for an adult customer which is why most are in such small sizes......though in recent years there has been more of a surge in older adults involved in ballet so there is definitely a niche in the market there for somebody!

Ive found Capezio shop to be the best generally for adult wear......they also sell a range of "nude" coloured bras with transparent straps etc to fit separately into leotards if you don't find the inbuilt ones supportive enough. 

 

I wear a lot of Uniglo tops for class both short and full sleeve so have the leotard effect but of course not much use if you taking an exam.

You can have them Taylor made to fit your exact size but this is a very expensive route! WearMoi used to offer this service but I last used them about six years ago now so not sure if still do.

 

Well rant over .....but everybody is slightly different so here's hoping you find a make you really like. 

 

On 04/05/2019 at 13:17, LinMM said:

Can I ask which shops in the USA you have used? My daughter is a UK size 10 but 6ft tall with a long body and leotard shopping is a nightmare!!

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My leotards were bought online from USA ....I'm pretty sure was Dance Direct but will check for you.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/05/2019 at 09:39, RuthE said:

 

This is a bit off-topic from the OP because the leotards I'm talking about are too fussy/lacy for exams, but I just wanted to chip in and say that Sheila recently sold me 2 leotards including the So Danca lace top one she mentions.  You've met me, I'm a bit smaller than you but you've seen how curvy I am. The Large/size 6 fits me beautifully and it's VERY stretchy, so I think you might consider giving the size 7 a try.

 

Another vote here for So Danca, I always recommend them to my adult dance friends who are no longer a size 8! :D  I got 15 from the last catalogue (I know that sounds bad but nice fashion leo's rarely come along in my size & I dance 5 days a week) they're everything from fancy lace affairs through to simple leo's suitable for exams.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ha ha Rebecca last time I was a size 8 must have been when I was about 10!! 

I'm trying to get hold of Michelle Richer as she knows where we ordered the larger leotards from ( apart from Tom at LAB!) 

Michelle if you read this was it Dance Direct!!? Perhaps it was So Danca? 

I would like to buy a nice leotard again (lacey topped ones I've looked at longingly in the shops look nice) for the Chelsea Ballet Summer School in August

Sheila will look at your website .....the XXL or size 7 might well do! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Lacey topped leotard with little sleeves which I like alas does not come in XL( size 7) only in the size 6 which I know won't be big enough for me. I do think the size 7 might be okay in fact but unfortunately I do find that quite often not every item  goes up to this size ( or anyone's largest size) at least not on UK websites 😢

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LinMM said:

Ha ha Rebecca last time I was a size 8 must have been when I was about 10!! 

I'm trying to get hold of Michelle Richer as she knows where we ordered the larger leotards from ( apart from Tom at LAB!) 

Michelle if you read this was it Dance Direct!!? Perhaps it was So Danca? 

I would like to buy a nice leotard again (lacey topped ones I've looked at longingly in the shops look nice) for the Chelsea Ballet Summer School in August

Sheila will look at your website .....the XXL or size 7 might well do! 

Hi Lyn

we currently have several So danca leos in stock in size 7 and degas in XXL. 

This lacy one is in stock in Black and burgundy in size 7.

https://www.justballet.co.uk/products/so-danca-lace-top-leotard?key=fb967d898a2977dd33fecd44951f6a40fa5c397219f300b72285e85fc72fca94

 

And I’m pretty sure this one arrived in burgundy in size 7 on Friday, but not unpacked the box yet! https://www.justballet.co.uk/products/so-danca-lace-top-leotard?key=fb967d898a2977dd33fecd44951f6a40fa5c397219f300b72285e85fc72fca94

 

We can order any sizes in for you from So Danca :) 

sheila x

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do like the Burgundy one with the Lacey top and little sleeves.

But when I go into the So Danca website you don't seem to be able to order this one in XL size 7 ....only in L size 6

Let me know if you defo have this one which is high at the back ( above the bra line) in a size 7) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26/05/2019 at 16:44, LinMM said:

I do like the Burgundy one with the Lacey top and little sleeves.

But when I go into the So Danca website you don't seem to be able to order this one in XL size 7 ....only in L size 6

Let me know if you defo have this one which is high at the back ( above the bra line) in a size 7) 

 

The So Danca E-10945 is a great addition to any dance wardrobe, I have several in different colours & two in black after the elastic became a little frayed on a 2 year old leo, if you like lacey with sleeves there are 2 new ones I've got that you may like RDE-1913 & RDE-1910 they're from the Sara Mearns special additions so may be harder to find but they do make them! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sophie_rebecca said:

 

The So Danca E-10945 is a great addition to any dance wardrobe, I have several in different colours

 

Oooh, I've just spotted that some suppliers do it in royal blue.  Might have to go leotard-shopping again...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Sophie Rebecca but can't find those ones ....yet....the Sara Mearns collection is a little capricious this morning ....first I see it then I don't lol!! However there's an RDE1905 and SL16 which are very similar to E10945 but this was on the .com site. They definitely have the larger sizes there but are a different material ( microfibre) so may not be so stretchy and stretchy sounds good to me!!  The E10945 is made of polyamide and Elastene

All the prices are in dollars though. 

 

Sheila have sent you a PM 

Edited by LinMM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a little off-topic, but I notice that Sheila's website now has a banner at the top with a prompt to add things up to the value of £60 in order to get free shipping.  Is this a new addition?  I don't recall seeing it before, and I'm sure I paid extra for shipping on the order I placed a couple of months ago (which was well over £60).  (Annoyingly, the skirt I fancy is back in stock, but even if I also succumb to the burgundy E10945 which I didn't end up buying the first time, I'm still a few pounds short of £60. I suppose I could get round it by ordering something to try on spec.)

Edited by RuthE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, RuthE said:

This is a little off-topic, but I notice that Sheila's website now has a banner at the top with a prompt to add things up to the value of £60 in order to get free shipping.  Is this a new addition?  I don't recall seeing it before, and I'm sure I paid extra for shipping on the order I placed a couple of months ago (which was well over £60).  (Annoyingly, the skirt I fancy is back in stock, but even if I also succumb to the burgundy E10945 which I didn't end up buying the first time, I'm still a few pounds short of £60. I suppose I could get round it by ordering something to try on spec.)

Hi Ruth

Yes it is a new addition. We're trialling it to see how it works out, once you hit £60, the UK shipping is automatically reduced to nil at checkout. Maybe there are bits you can add like ribbons,  pins or hair nets? 

 

Shipping using anything other than the lower end couriers is so expensive. I find the lower priced couriers unreliable from a customer point of view - I've had cards left with no means of contacting the courier, parcels left in unsafe places and claims that parcels have been delivered when they haven't etc, so we want to make sure all our parcels get to their destination as quickly as possible. Our shipping system works, and 90%+ of items are there next day, but we do pay a premium for it.

 

One day we may be as big as others and be able to offer free next day delivery, but I honestly don't know how they do it - just sheer volumes I guess!
 

Bw

Sheila x

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...