alison

Does where you sit affect your perceptions of a performance?

On 03/05/2019 at 05:57, capybara said:

This season, I have sat in the Stalls, Stalls Circle, Grand Tier (for a rehearsal), Balcony and Amphi. and, for me, the experience has varied enormously according to where I am watching from.  I personally like to be close to, and wrapped up in, the action. I know that I miss ‘the patterns’ but I value the emotional involvement more than anything else.

I second this. Using opera glasses is unfortunately not an option for me. For this reason I avoid Amphitheatre. You save yet you lose too much.

Over the years I have sat in every part of the house. I now prefer to sit in the stalls circle, as I like to be close to the action, even though the view may be slightly restricted! However, I am shocked at the prices for full length ballets! In row B the asking price for a bench with no armrests & a restricted view is 85 pounds. 

• Like 2

I'm thinking I need to go and see Flight Pattern from higher up, to get a better idea of the bodies and spacing.  From Stalls Circle I tended to find that the front ones were blocking my view of the rear ones, and hence affecting my perception of the work.

On 11/05/2019 at 00:34, alison said:

I'm thinking I need to go and see Flight Pattern from higher up, to get a better idea of the bodies and spacing.  From Stalls Circle I tended to find that the front ones were blocking my view of the rear ones, and hence affecting my perception of the work.

Yes, it's a good idea to watch Flight Pattern from higher up at least once.

• Like 2