RBS Associates travel bursary

Proudmumofdd

Hello

Anyone applied for this in the past?

We will be applying this year as DD starts as a SA in the autumn and this means long long journeys - far longer than to our MA and JA centre.

We’ll be travelling about 168 miles (I think the cut off is 151?) 

Is it easy to sort out? 

Grateful for any advice or hints.

Here's last year's info ... but no guarantees the same criteria will be applied this year. Hope that helps!

This year, with the generous support of the Leverhulme Foundation, the J Edward Conway Fund and the Hine’s Fund, we are able to offer all Associate students travel bursaries who travel 151+ miles one way to their Associate classes. Those receiving financial help with their fees may claim a travel bursary if they travel 75+ miles one way to their Associate classes. This is a contribution to your travel expenses and we will not be able to reimburse all travel costs.

The award made depends on the distance the student travels and the income level of the family.

•  
  • Distance: students are able to apply if they live at least 75 miles or more from the class.
  • Income: if students receive 50% or more financial assistance for fees then a full award is made. If financial assistance is less than 50% or none at all, then a partial award is made.

(Eta sorry, there's some sideways scrolling below -  I don't know how to fix it!)

Miles from Associate Centre   Receive 50% or more Financial Assistance  

Receive less than 50% Financial Assistance

Don’t receive Financial Assistance with Associate fees  

0-74 miles   0%   0%   0%  

75-150 miles   50%   25%   0%  

151+ miles   100%   50%   25%  

The bursary award will be based on the cheapest advance return train journey for one child and one adult (where accompanied) with the use of a family or other railcard. At least 3 ticket receipts need to be sent with the bursary application. This could be receipts for the train tickets or copies of the train tickets.

Edited by glissade

Not relevant to me personally (my DD is grown up and was never an RBS associate)but I wonder what they do for students who cannot travel by train? I dont think it would be physically possible to reach our nearest associate centres on time by train. Those i knew who went by car had very long days as it was - by train it would be a nightmare even if it could be done. Our nearest mainline station is an hour's drive away for starters. I would imagine that quite a few of those who are travelling 151+ miles each way will be in rural areas. Public transport may be the most cost effective and environmentally friendly option but its often not a viable option for us country bumpkins. Of you cant provide a train ticket are you ineligible for support?

(Sorry, I am perhaps being a bit over sensitive re lack of understanding of rural issues. I have spent a long time on the phone to my car insurers today. I was in a serious RTC recently and am entitled to private physiotherapy, but they have failed to refer me because I hadn't selected a provider within their maximum agreed radius of my home. The London based operative seemed to be totally incapable of understanding that there ARE no providers within that radius, just as there are no train stations, bus stops etc etc...)

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Pups_mum said:

Not relevant to me personally (my DD is grown up and was never an RBS associate)but I wonder what they do for students who cannot travel by train? I dont think it would be physically possible to reach our nearest associate centres on time by train. Those i knew who went by car had very long days as it was - by train it would be a nightmare even if it could be done. Our nearest mainline station is an hour's drive away for starters. I would imagine that quite a few of those who are travelling 151+ miles each way will be in rural areas. Public transport may be the most cost effective and environmentally friendly option but its often not a viable option for us country bumpkins. Of you cant provide a train ticket are you ineligible for support?

(Sorry, I am perhaps being a bit over sensitive re lack of understanding of rural issues. I have spent a long time on the phone to my car insurers today. I was in a serious RTC recently and am entitled to private physiotherapy, but they have failed to refer me because I hadn't selected a provider within their maximum agreed radius of my home. The London based operative seemed to be totally incapable of understanding that there ARE no providers within that radius, just as there are no train stations, bus stops etc etc...)

Sorry to hear about your accident, Pups_mum.x

We have received the travel bursary, we do not qualify for financial assistance but travel further than 151 miles.  It took a long time to come through, the second half of fees were due before the bursary was paid, so after Christmas if I remember rightly, I did remind them once or twice too 😜 

i provided 3 weeks worth of train receipts and was paid 25% of the average cost.  It wasn’t a great amount but every little helps.