Proms 2019

alison

Very tempted by Bernard Haitink and the Vienna Philharmonic Prom 60 (Beethoven 4th Piano Concerto with Murray Perahia and Bruckner 7 although I’m not a great Bruckner fan).  I thought I’d read somewhere that Bernard Haitink is taking a sabbatical next year - does anyone know if this is correct?

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know when the select-your-own-seat functionality is likely to be activated on the RAH/Proms website? This is the first year I've chosen to wait and book later (having had some very disappointing seats last year and the year before when I let the Proms Planner pick my seats on the day booking opened).

22 minutes ago, RuthE said:

Does anyone know when the select-your-own-seat functionality is likely to be activated on the RAH/Proms website? This is the first year I've chosen to wait and book later (having had some very disappointing seats last year and the year before when I let the Proms Planner pick my seats on the day booking opened).

It seems to be available now, though I haven’t followed the process right through.

And it appears that it currently works for some concerts but not others.  I click on Benvenuto Cellini, it takes me straight into the seating plan to pick a seat; I click on Wagner Night and get a list of areas...

• 2 months later...

Decided on a whim we're going  promming tomorrow night (2nd August).  Any suggestions on cheap places to eat nearby before hand? I know the V&A is open late on a Friday but also remember having to donate a kidney (OK not really) to pay for food their on a previous visit.

On 26/04/2019 at 17:23, JohnS said:

Very tempted by Bernard Haitink and the Vienna Philharmonic Prom 60 (Beethoven 4th Piano Concerto with Murray Perahia and Bruckner 7 although I’m not a great Bruckner fan).  I thought I’d read somewhere that Bernard Haitink is taking a sabbatical next year - does anyone know if this is correct?

I believe these may be Haitink's last concerts ever certainly in this country. He's been ill for a couple of years now.

• Like 1

Thanks Tony - I too had heard that this may well be Bernard Haitink’s last concert in the UK and the ‘sabbatical’ was something of a fiction.  I will listen to the broadcast, disappointed that it’s not televised (either live or recorded), and recall so many wonderful evenings at the Royal Opera House as well as some memorable concert performances.  And of course he did so much to ensure the continuation of the Royal Opera House Orchestra and Chorus during the closure and redevelopment of the House, addressing the Proms audience after the 2002 Ring and urging people to write to the Department of Culture (or whatever it was called then).

• Like 1

Yes many memories of his Wagner and of that fabulous Jenufa with Mattila. Vienna Phil like Berlin Phil have strict control of their media rights so they themselves may not have allowed televising sometimes they tape things for dvd release or for one of the websites like arte .

Edited by Tony C

Let's face it, at the time it was scheduled, it wasn't known that it was going to be his last UK(?) concert: he's only announced recently that the "sabbatical" is nothing of the sort.

I'm going to see if I can get in - I'd have done it based just on the programme, regardless.

• Like 1