A level dance (Gene Kelly)

Camryn

Hi

I'm doing a level dance and I was wondering if anyone could give me some information on Gene Kelly and his influences... we have studied it and I have researched it but I dont really know where to focus my revision on in terms of Kelly's influences ??

Thanks

Cam

• Like 1

I take it you’ve looked at the syllabus

Optional set work 3: Singin’ in the Rain (Stanley Donen and Gene Kelly, 1952) 

Singin’ in the Rain
Direction and choreography Stanley Donen and Gene Kelly
Music Nacio Herb Brown
Lyrics  Arthur Freed
Screenplay Betty Comden and Adolph Green
Photography Harold Rosson and John Alton
Released in March, 1952

Optional Area of study 3: American jazz dance 1940–1975 

In the early 1900s the jazz dancing performed by African-American artists showed links to the dances of minstrelsy and ragtime using new syncopated rhythms. From the 1930s through to the 1960s the style became a more theatre-based form of dance, requiring trained dancers. Choreography involving jazz dance was created by practitioners from the ballet and modern dance world. These included Jack Cole, George Balanchine, Agnes de Mille, Michael Kidd, Katherine Dunham, Jerome Robbins, Bob Fosse, Stanley Donen and Gene Kelly.

Jack Cole was an important figure in the development of jazz dance technique and its theatrical form. He inspired many practitioners, including Matt Mattox, Jerome Robbins and Bob Fosse. 

Katherine Dunham founded the anthropological dance movement and introduced African and Caribbean rituals into American choreography.

Matt Mattox performed on Broadway and in many Hollywood musicals. His teaching of jazz was significant in the training of future generations of dancers.

Gene Kelly’s physique and personality, combined with his training in acrobatics and athletics, contributed to the popularity of his dancing style with the public. He was very interested in the use of the camera for dance sequences. His collaboration with Stanley Donen produced exciting choreography and developments in the filming and locations used for dance.

Jerome Robbins’ style of social dance combined with classical ballet allowed him to create choreography conveying characterisation, rhythmic complexity and dynamic variation. He followed Agnes de Mille’s lead in making dance of equal importance to drama and music in the development of the storyline.

Different choreographers developed their own stylisation of jazz dance eg Bob Fosse. His early influences contributed to the creation of his distinctive style featuring angled lines, inverted limbs and a hunched over posture.

• Jan McNulty changed the title to A level dance (Gene Kelly)

Hi Cam, I studied A level Dance many years ago and remember my syllabus revolving around the work of Merce Cunningham. I remember it being much more difficult than people gave it credit for. Notation was the bane of my life! Lots of luck with it! 😁

I’m guessing they will be looking at the effect his style had on popular thought around dance at the time. He introduced dance to a very different audience and made it more reachable. Before this you could compare to the types of audiences who would go to watch ballet. There’s a whole essay in there somewhere on demographics of theatre attendance in the first half of the 20th century! 😁😁 xx

• 4 months later...
On 24/04/2019 at 18:03, Mummy twinkle toes said:

Do not forget Fred Astaire as an influence. They were often compared as both excellent tappers. They appeared together. You can see them both here:

We dont study astaire as an influence as much. We skim over him in the history of jazz but we specifically study gene Kelly thank you though 

On 24/04/2019 at 09:51, MrsMoo2 said:

Hi Cam, I studied A level Dance many years ago and remember my syllabus revolving around the work of Merce Cunningham. I remember it being much more difficult than people gave it credit for. Notation was the bane of my life! Lots of luck with it! 😁

I’m guessing they will be looking at the effect his style had on popular thought around dance at the time. He introduced dance to a very different audience and made it more reachable. Before this you could compare to the types of audiences who would go to watch ballet. There’s a whole essay in there somewhere on demographics of theatre attendance in the first half of the 20th century! 😁😁 xx

We do cunningham this year ahah so I might be coming back to you on that ahah

On 23/04/2019 at 22:05, Picturesinthefirelight said:

I take it you’ve looked at the syllabus

Optional set work 3: Singin’ in the Rain (Stanley Donen and Gene Kelly, 1952) 

Singin’ in the Rain
Direction and choreography Stanley Donen and Gene Kelly
Music Nacio Herb Brown
Lyrics  Arthur Freed
Screenplay Betty Comden and Adolph Green
Photography Harold Rosson and John Alton
Released in March, 1952

Optional Area of study 3: American jazz dance 1940–1975 

In the early 1900s the jazz dancing performed by African-American artists showed links to the dances of minstrelsy and ragtime using new syncopated rhythms. From the 1930s through to the 1960s the style became a more theatre-based form of dance, requiring trained dancers. Choreography involving jazz dance was created by practitioners from the ballet and modern dance world. These included Jack Cole, George Balanchine, Agnes de Mille, Michael Kidd, Katherine Dunham, Jerome Robbins, Bob Fosse, Stanley Donen and Gene Kelly.

Jack Cole was an important figure in the development of jazz dance technique and its theatrical form. He inspired many practitioners, including Matt Mattox, Jerome Robbins and Bob Fosse. 

Katherine Dunham founded the anthropological dance movement and introduced African and Caribbean rituals into American choreography.

Matt Mattox performed on Broadway and in many Hollywood musicals. His teaching of jazz was significant in the training of future generations of dancers.

Gene Kelly’s physique and personality, combined with his training in acrobatics and athletics, contributed to the popularity of his dancing style with the public. He was very interested in the use of the camera for dance sequences. His collaboration with Stanley Donen produced exciting choreography and developments in the filming and locations used for dance.

Jerome Robbins’ style of social dance combined with classical ballet allowed him to create choreography conveying characterisation, rhythmic complexity and dynamic variation. He followed Agnes de Mille’s lead in making dance of equal importance to drama and music in the development of the storyline.

Different choreographers developed their own stylisation of jazz dance eg Bob Fosse. His early influences contributed to the creation of his distinctive style featuring angled lines, inverted limbs and a hunched over posture.

Yes but it isnt as specific as I was looking for aahah