The Royal Ballet - Swan Lake, October 2012

My daughters and i have just digested another sampling of ROH live link of swan lake, marvellous, we tried another cinema this time and again perfect viewing, not as much close up shots but still closer than if we were there watching at the ROH. Romeo and juliet was fabulous this was different and again brilliant, totally enthralled. Again cinema mainly empty which is great!! like ann somerset great to read the tweets from around the world and also interviews totally inspiring for my daughter whose dream is to become a ballerina!!

AX

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In Cambridge tonight, things were spoiled by frequent sound blips, especially in Act 3. Act 4 was then largely wrecked after a minute by complete loss of sound and a halting picture, leading after some minutes to a complete loss of picture and sound until just before the end when normality was restored. A great pity, as it was going well. (Cast sheets on every seat here, by the way.)

What a shame Ian. This happened in my local cinema during a Bolshoi transmission a couple of years ago and again during the first RB transmission. It turned several people I know off completely and they have never been to another live transmission since, which is really sad. Happily it has not happened since and we have nearly full houses now. Envy you the cast sheets though!

We had similar problems to you Ian but only at the very but crucial end.Just as Odette was about to do her dying swan the screen went blank and we could only hear the music. Much to our amusement the cinema staff proclaimed we had only missed a few minutes ..... Yes but probably the best two minutes.!

We all thought the performance was outstanding and left with four complimentary tickets (that's the Nutcracker sorted) and my daughters pirouetting through the lobby of our local Odeon.

Would be interested to know what everyone had to pay for their tickets. My ticket at the Richmond (London) Curzon cost £17, which I think is the most I've had to pay for a screened live performance. However, some might consider it a reasonable price for such a unique experience - what do others think?

Watched this at the Showcase Cinema in Peterborough with my mother.

An amazing and inspiring experience, the interviews made the whole thing seem much more real as you felt "closer" to the dancers and their experience of performing. The close up views added to the drama especially in the 4th Act!

No technical issues as mentioned above, ticket price £12 standard, but we paid £13.50 for the "posh" reserved seats, a bargain and less hastle than getting to the Opera House!

Have booked for The Nutcracker screening in December (with DD this time too!).

RK

Would be interested to know what everyone had to pay for their tickets. My ticket at the Richmond (London) Curzon cost £17, which I think is the most I've had to pay for a screened live performance. However, some might consider it a reasonable price for such a unique experience - what do others think?

The tickets here for the Odeon in Taunton were £15 for a standard seat and £16.10 for a Premier seat. Quite a good discount is to be had for students and senior citizens. There appears to be quite a variation from place to place doesn't there but I have no idea how they decide upon the price

I consider we had good value last night. Compared with the price of a ticket at ROH, the train fare and a night in London that is! Granted our local Odeon is nowhere near as glamorous as ROH but I for one am very happy to be able to see performances such as this locally. I would welcome a slightly more adventurous choice of programme, for instance we have Alice which has been on TV. Why not Bayadere for instance?

A little more on the Cambridge experience:

Bill: The cinema is one of the Arts Picturehouse chain and, when there was a picture, I'd certainly say it was in HD.

Hairbelles: It sounds as if you lost picture just as ours was restored for the denouement. (A management voice in the dark said it was 'something to do with the fog' but, having used VHF and UHF radio frequencies years ago whilst flying in cloud with no difficulty, I'm disinclined to believe that. My guess is that somebody, somewhere, managed to change the feed or link in use to get things back to normal, and we then ran to the end of the credits without a problem.)

Ann: Prices for these shows are normally £15, but £13 to Members - and the seating is excellent, I must say.

As to the show, I was impressed as always by Zenaida (by a long way my favourite RB lady), whose eyes tell stories that others don't quite match. Mr Kish partnered rather well, I thought, with real character revealed in the closeups, and there has to be a special Boo-Hiss mention for Avian Gary. Elizabeth McGorian was a splendid Queen - her withering glance at Benno on first entering made her views on her son's choice of buddies pretty clear!

I thought the Interval extras went well and I'd hope that they really helped those less-familiar with all this to gain a better insight. Sabina Westcombe (I think I'm correct there) came across well as a voice from the Corps. When she remarked on the effort needed to keep going at the end of Act 4, and that the way to cope was by digging harder into those boureés, the experienced voice to my right agreed heartlily - adding that it was a bit harder still during Saturday afternoon matinees when you knew you'd to do it all again that evening!

And in Act 2, I thought I sensed a little of what many have said about the slowish tempi ever since the first night of this run - otherwise, I felt things were OK.

We paid a very reasonable £12.50 for the Vue cinema in Leeds - no technical problems at all and a real feeling of being immersed in the event.

Thought that the short films were brilliantly done creating a real sense of connection with the cast which made it incredibly moving.

Will definitely be recommending the experience to friends!

• Like 3

I think i must have been almost the only regular here, who was actually THERE! :-)

The yellowing, was probably an over-compensation for the lighting, would be my best guess. Many productions from many companies, have marvelous costumes, with beautiful colours - then the lighting turns them all sepia shades of brown.

@Ann - Zen has for me always been one of the most emotionally satisfying of the RB's Swan Queens. Although they seemed to be dancing a bit cautiously last night, Zenaida always seemed atuned to the music, and resists the modern trend of 'playing' with the score (slowing down, then speeding back up to get back to the score - or vice versa). She also emotes very well - so her performances always seem to grasp you somehow.

@Patsomerset - what did you get for the extra £1.10??

• Like 1

I think i must have been almost the only regular here, who was actually THERE! :-)

The yellowing, was probably an over-compensation for the lighting, would be my best guess. Many productions from many companies, have marvelous costumes, with beautiful colours - then the lighting turns them all sepia shades of brown.

@Ann - Zen has for me always been one of the most emotionally satisfying of the RB's Swan Queens. Although they seemed to be dancing a bit cautiously last night, Zenaida always seemed atuned to the music, and resists the modern trend of 'playing' with the score (slowing down, then speeding back up to get back to the score - or vice versa). She also emotes very well - so her performances always seem to grasp you somehow.

@Patsomerset - what did you get for the extra £1.10??

A seat at the back in the middle section and allegedly slighty better upholstered!

Nice to hear from someone who was actually there! ROH looked packed inspite of the transmissions, which is good to know and the audience seemed to be very enthusiastic. I did not notice on the screen that they were dancing cautiously but you don't always get a view of the whole stage in the cinema. This has benefits in that you get close up of the fabulous costumes. The costumes in the ballroon scene are particularly beautiful with a wonderfully blend of shades and tones. The yellowing only seemed to occur on Zen's white tutu and some of the swans from time to time.

It also shows up even the slightest of mishaps. I think both Zen and Nehemiah had small ones. Nehemaih had a slightly rocky landing in his Act III solo and I think Zen had a bit of a slip up at the end of the fouettes. Did I imagine it? This is an example of where the screen close ups magnify something you might not have noticed otherwise. Perhaps it is something you don't or shouldn't think about, but when you have millions of people watching you worldwide it must be a bit daunting however professional you are. Like you, I love Zen. She is a most beautiful, thoughtful dancer and gives a performance which really grips you emotionally

no, you didn't imagine the slight hiccups - I'm forever amazed they don't make more, more often!

the yellowing - might be overcompensating for the blue tint for the 'midnight moonlit (?) lake scene'. Only a guess mind. I was going to say that perhaps the screen it was projected on wasn't that clean - back in the days when you could smoke in the cinema I don't think the screens were ever white - more like a mucky brown!! Can't imagine its that these days though.

I saw SL at the Vue Cheshire Oaks/Ellesmere Port for a mere £12.50 - bargain! Flawless transmission, a packed out cinema and perfectly well behaved audience - WOW! The performance was super and I loved all the feature films and the interviews - Nehemiah and Zen were great and I enjoyed this performance far more than the in real life one with Acosta and Osipova the other week. I have to give mention to the Pas de Trois performed superbly by Alexander Campbell, Yuhui Choe and Helen Crawford - they were excellent and so pleased to see Alexander excelling at ROH. Laura Morera and Ricardo Cervera were also excellent. The corps de ballet were great and seemed to keep a lot more together so I think Samantha Raine has been drilling them well! This is definitely a great alternative to the schlep to London!

Edited by Don Q Fan

I saw SL at the Vue Cheshire Oaks/Ellesmere Port for a mere £12.50 - bargain! Flawless transmission, a packed out cinema and perfectly well behaved audience - WOW! The performance was super and I loved all the feature films and the interviews - Nehemiah and Zen were great and I enjoyed this performance far more than the in real life one with Acosta and Osipova the other week. I have to give mention to the Pas de Trois performed superbly by Alexander Campbell, Yuhui Choe and Helen Crawford - they were excellent and so pleased to see Alexander excelling at ROH. Laura Morera and Ricardo Cervera were also excellent. The corps de ballet were great and seemed to keep a lot more together so I think Samantha Raine has been drilling them well! This is definitely a great alternative to the schlep to London!

I would like to echo everything you have said about the Pas de Trois, Laura Morera and Ricardo Cervera and the corps
  • Like 1

£12.50 for me - and I agree, Odeon at least (and possibly Picturehouse - are you sure they haven't put the standard prices up, Ian?) are very variable in their pricing.

Sorry to hear several people had problems with the transmission: we had a moment where the sound "burped", for want of a better word, but that was about it. Still, it is something of a lottery: meunier and I both attended a Bolshoi broadcast last year where we didn't get anything of the first act, and even if you're lucky enough to have alternative cinemas to get to it's too late by then..

People, me included, have complained about the productions scheduled this year: I'm now wondering whether the ROH have gone all-out with the obvious stuff this year in the hope of really hooking an audience, and whether we might get something more adventurous next year as a result. Well, I can hope ...

Alison: Yes, the Cambridge Picturehouse prices for RB, Bolshoi, NY Met etc are higher than for an everyday film showing, and I imagine that's true across the chain. And parking Tuesday's transmission issues for a moment, it's still quite a good deal when compared with the increasing hassle of driving into town to sit in a significantly more expensive seat. But reverting to said issues, I increasingly suspect from reports of others' experiences here that the problem lay in the link used into this particular cinema that night, something that has been fine on other occasions. There have been no difficulties with any Bolshoi live streamings that I've seen there, for example.

Yes, the Cambridge Picturehouse prices for RB, Bolshoi, NY Met etc are higher than for an everyday film showing, and I imagine that's true across the chain.

Yes, Ian, I assumed that, I was just querying whether Cambridge had escaped the 1/3 price rise that seems to have afflicted the London venues. If I'd had to pay £20, I definitely wouldn't have bothered going.

Would anyone like to fill in the bits of missing casting for me? As far as I can remember (and I haven't got my notes here):

Spanish Dance: Stepanek, Hirano, Mendizabal (I think) and ?

Czardas: Bennet Gartside (good to see him back on stage) and ?

Neopolitan: Morera and Cervera

Mazurka (no real need for this one, but I think I spotted Arestis, Whitehead, Murphy and ... nope, brain's gone).

Arestis was one of the other big swans, can't remember who the other one was.

It was 3000 yen for the transmission in Japan which was about twice the price of the cinema relays in UK. And for the time zone, the actual viewing was on the next day, 19:00 Japan time. We had a brief talk show by Miyako Yoshida at the cinema, and she was talking about her experience of the O/O role at Saddler's Wells and RB.

All the extra behind the scenes had Japanese subtitles, and that documentary, especially the swan corps thing was very lovely. Although we experienced some sound and visual interruptions (as those who saw the live relay had seen), the overall quality was good and I enjoyed the performance so much. RB is going to tour next June to bring Swan Lake and Alice so it is nice was see this performance beforehand. I especially loved Gary Avis as Rothbart and Laura Morera and Ricardo Cervera in Napoli, Yuhui Choe in the pas de trois.

And for the missing casting, It was indeed Mendizabal in Spain and Kenta Kura was also in the Mazurka

• Like 1

Would anyone like to fill in the bits of missing casting for me? As far as I can remember (and I haven't got my notes here):

Spanish Dance: Stepanek, Hirano, Mendizabal (I think) and Deirdre Chapman?

Czardas: Bennet Gartside (good to see him back on stage) and ?

Neopolitan: Morera and Cervera

Mazurka (no real need for this one, but I think I spotted Arestis, Whitehead, Murphy and ... nope, brain's gone).

Arestis was one of the other big swans, can't remember who the other one was.

I saw my one and only performance of the RB's Swan Lake last night and I am afraid that I came away very disappointed.

The set in Act 1 actually made the ROH stage look small and the swan fountain was a mistake. Like others, I disliked the "character additions". The costumes were a bizarre mixture period-wise and geographically. Some looked like central European peasant costumes but there were also some women wearing headdresses and veils of the type that you might find in, say, Afganistan or Pakistan. IMO, ribbons and maypoles are best avoided in ballets like Swan Lake. I preferred non of the choreography to ENB's. I particularly missed the Nureyev solo for Siegfried which is a real test of the dancer's skill in bringing across his yearning for something more than he is being offered in the palace. If well performed, it is really touching and one of the highlights of Act 1. I wasn't keen on the swans' costumes which looked grey, cream and even light beige at various times. I felt that there were actually too many swans and, particularly with the shaggy tutus, the effect was rather cluttered. Rothbart's costume was hideous and in Act 3 he looked like an Elizabethan skinhead. Anyway, to Osipova. I just didn't find her an elegant dancer. If it is true that the Bolshoi wouldn't let her perform O/O then I can see why. She just didn't seem to understand that all the "easy" steps and movements are as important as all the "big numbers". I've seen "lesser" dancers dance much more elegantly than her and give a much more enjoyable performance as a result. The fouettes were done at a breathtaking speed but she stumbled badly at the end and was outshone by Acosta's brilliant solo. He danced well throughout but there wasn't much chemistry between the two of them. For me, the real problem with the production is that it lacks the drama, atmosphere and mysteriousness which you associate with Swan Lake. There was no misty lakeside scene (although there was a bit of mist in Act 4) and no real battle between Siegfried and Rothbart (who was very under-used). I didn't like the start of Act 4. The saccarine dance for the corps and the rather prim dance for Siegfried and Odette interrupted the flow of the drama and seemed ill suited to the unfolding tragedy. The corps and soloists danced well. IMO, this production should not have been broadcast around the world. It does not show the RB in the best light. One can only wonder what the French and Russians thought of it!

I wasn't keen on the swans costumes

The tweets from round the world which we saw on the screen in the live cinema broadcast were very positive, as were most of the postings here, Aileen, so I wouldn't worry too much about what 'the French and Russians thought of it'!

Re. your comments on Act I, most of the newspaper critics seem to agree with you, but all I can say is that I was so swept up in the action and spectacle in the cinema that I didn't notice the faults and just enjoyed the whole thing, perhaps because of the special (some would say ‘privileged’) clarity of the screened version. The cinema experience may also have diminished the faults of the Act I set which you mention, so all in all I'd say that when - and if - they bring out the DVD version it would be well worth your while at least renting it. Your comments on Osipova's performance sound so knowledgeable that I'm sure no-one would dare disagree with you, but in fact nearly all the critics disliked it too, so those of us who saw Zenaida in the role - whether on screen or in the theatre - may consider themselves lucky.

• Like 2

Some rather harsh comments here on Natalia Osipova. I don't think we should forget that, for all her prodigious talent, this is a ballerina who has danced the role of Odette/Odile only a handful of times, and will no doubt still be finding her way in the role. Last night, she was not an especially regal Odette, and the tempi in Act 2, (particularly for her solo) didn’t help the portrayal, but in Act 3 she generated a level of excitement which I felt lifted the production to another level. True, she spun so fast she lost control at the end of the fouettes, but at least she went for it. I’d much rather performers did that than played it safe. But I can see why she’s been called the “Marmite” ballerina.

The energy Osipova was generating clearly affected some of the other performers: notably Paul Kay - with Yuhui Choe, the best Neapolitan Dance I’ve seem live. The two leading swans, Helen Crawford and Claire Calvert synchronised perfectly.

Carols Acosta danced impeccably as the Prince (and acted really well) and Gary Avis was the most menacing of Rothbarts, but neither character is given enough to do in this version.

As for the production itself – I wouldn’t have gone to see the Royal Ballet Swan Lake again but for the chance to see Osipova and Acosta together in it. The gaudy designs were conceived in the 1980s “Loads-a-Money” era, and now look tasteless.

I realise the Petipa/Ivanov/Drigo revival was staged in 1895, but I don’t understand the logic of setting the ballet in the Russia of that era. Alexander III (who had just died) may have been a lover of the ballet and collected Faberge (the “inspiration” for much of the setting), but he was pretty fond of executing radicals and persecuting minorities, too. It seems bizarre to turn Act I into some sort of homage to Tsarist autocracy (and filling it with stereotypes from the length and breadth of the Russian Empire), when it should be the prelude to a medieval tale of magic and mystery. Perhaps we need an austerity Swan Lake as an antidote.

Aileen mentions the “saccharine dance for the corps” and the “prim” duet for Odette and the Prince in Act 4. I tend to agree with both descriptions, although I rather like the mini solos for the two leading swans that are woven into the Valse Bluette. Of course, if you are going to reproduce the “authentic” choreographic text from the 1895 production (which was Anthony Dowell’s aim) then there is no way of avoiding these interpolations – neither of them from the original score, but Drigo’s orchestrations of two of Tchaikovsky piano pieces. The Mariinsky production uses the same music and pretty much, I think, the same choreography. I prefer the “old” RB Act 4, with the Ashton pas de deux using music from the Act 3 Pas de Six – is that still used by ENB?

James

I also agree with Aileen....and so did my daughter and a critic I was sitting with. We found ourselves laughing much of the time at the audacity of it. Before Act 4 started we were imagining her death scene: would she run up to a 5 metre diving board and do a swan dive into the lake, with Esther Williams type of fountains appearing as she bobbed up and down? I've never found myself imagining this kind of end before. My friend said at one point 'oh my, it's a drag act'! I just don't think she gets it at all. My disappointment was compounded because I thought her Giselle was one of the best I've ever seen. Ah well...sometimes there is just no rhyme nor reason.

Ann, I was indeed lucky to see Zen in her first show. She has always been one of my favourite O/Os, and that night I was reminded why. Nela's not too bad either...and now I just have the Marquez/McRae, Cuthbertson/Bonelli (I hope) and Cojocaru/Kobborg casts to go!

Some rather harsh comments here on Natalia Osipova. I don't think we should forget that, for all her prodigious talent, this is a ballerina who has danced the role of Odette/Odile only a handful of times, and will no doubt still be finding her way in the role.

True, but I still found it somewhat misconceived - as yet.

I prefer the “old” RB Act 4, with the Ashton pas de deux using music from the Act 3 Pas de Six – is that still used by ENB?

I don't think so - although I believe it's the one used by the National Ballet of China. Jane S would know, I'm sure.

When James wrote: "I can see why she’s been called the “Marmite” ballerina", I as a devout fan and consumer of Marmite for decades wondered how it can be applied in this case. Decided to read about MARMITE in Wikipedia:

“Marmite's distinctive and powerful flavour had earned it as many detractors as it had fans, and it was commonly notorious for producing a polarised "love/hate" reaction amongst consumers. Modern advertisements play on this, and Marmite runs a dual skinned website with two URLs: I LOVE MARMITE and I HATE MARMITE, where people may share their experiences of Marmite and are actively encouraged to fuel this debate, as prompted by the I Hate Marmite Registration form. This resulted in the coining of the phrase "Marmite effect" or "Marmite reaction" for anything which provokes such strong and polarised feelings.”

After reading this I want to register as a devout fan of Marmite as I always was - in all its applications.

• Like 1

Could someone kindly point me to where I can find Zen and Nehemiah's interval interviews from last week's broadcast? I have found the one about the Corps, but am stumped for the other one!

Many thanks in anticipation!