Sign in to follow this  
taxi4ballet

The difference between the British and the French...

... is nicely summed up by what I saw on the motorway earlier today.  The large sign on the back of the huge wide load trundling along read "Convoi Exceptionnel" and the one on the orange-lighted truck following it said "Abnormal Load".

One sounds rather nicer than the other, doesn't it?!

• Like 4

I would say the contrast between the mainly peaceful demonstrations in London and the rioting of the Gilets Jaunes in Paris shows the other side of the coin!

I lived and worked as a professional ballet dancer in France.  Some of the French are good people, some bad, just like in most countries.

• Like 3

In Canada, where signs are usually in English and French, the French signs usually sound more elegant but they're also generally quite a bit longer.

Pas de deux = father of twins; Pas de trois = father of triplets etc. etc.  Grand Pas = Grandad

Edited by Pas de Quatre
sp
  • Like 3

On 20/04/2019 at 15:19, Pas de Quatre said:

Pas de deux = father of twins; Pas de trois = father of triplets etc. etc.  Grand Pas = Grandad

We all agree not to talk about Pas de chat

• Like 1

My favourite is the literal interpretation of going window shopping "faire du leche vitrines". ( can't find the correct accent on my keyboard) - Licking  a window seems the perfect metaphor.

• Like 2