Men’s ballet training in LONDON

BeaverElliot

As I will be heading over to the UK from America,

I am curious to research about any places in

greater London that...

1) run male technique classes for amateur adults

2) offer pas de deux training sessions

3) have good selections of dance wear for adult males (not online)

• Jan McNulty changed the title to Men’s ballet training in LONDON

There are many options in London for adult learners. It would help to know what level you're currently dancing at, as pas de deux training is generally for more advanced dancers in good control of their technique. So I won't comment on likely training opportunities for that, except to say that, as far as I know, there aren't any drop in, or open classes for pas de deux in central London studios.

The first thing I thought of is the dedicated class for men and boys at Danceworks on Saturday afternoons, but it's pretty advanced. (Women who like jumping do it too - I love learning the usual male jumps)

http://danceworks.net/classes/schedule/saturday/

For a beginner male dancer, there isn't really any need for a separate men's class - the repertoire is shared, and the steps are the same (for example, I've learned tours en lair in syllabus work). But if you want a men only class, you could try the enrolment course at City Lit: City Lit Men's Ballet

If you're going to be in London as more than just a tourist, you might want to look at a termly enrolment class rather than drop in classes - see Ruth E's thread about London classes for beginner or begin-again adult ballet students. I'd also recommend Alexander Simpkins, who teaches at the City Lit classes.  I see Mr Simpkins sometimes in Nina Thilas-Mohs' classes - he's a beautiful dancer  to watch and very generous in class. 

Another excellent teacher for beginners - and for those of us who need to keep our technique sharp! is Hannah Frost, who teaches at DAnceworks, and Central School. She is tough, funny, and excellent  - gives really good corrections, so you really get the placement she's asking for. Her classes are crowded but she gives very good individual attention, and will adapt some things in her Improvers class for the male students. There are always a few men dancing in her Beginners class. I love her classes for their precision & the demands on stamina and control.

Nina Thilas-Mohs' classes at both Danceworks (Sunday afternoons) and Fridays ( Central School of Ballet Central Nights) regularly have (professional level) men taking class, and Nina will adapt centre combinations for men - her classes are slow and simple at the barre, and fast and fun in the centre, so plenty of opportunities to jump out and turn a lot. But they're not for the beginner, really.

David Kierce might be a possibility - he teaches at Central School adult programme at Beginner & Improver levels  - I just did his Improvers class (which was actually still fairly much a Beginners standard) - he's very funny, an exacting teacher with excellent technique teaching, but oh my! 40 people in a class - far too crowded. No chance to really jump out or move across the centre.

Edited by Kate_N
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Kate_N said:

If you're going to be in London as more than just a tourist, you might want to look at a termly enrolment class rather than drop in classes - see Ruth E's thread about London classes for beginner or begin-again adult ballet students. I'd also recommend Alexander Simpkins, who teaches at the City Lit classes.  I see Mr Simpkins sometimes in Nina Thilas-Mohs' classes - he's a beautiful dancer  to watch and very generous in class.

Just to add a link to my thread that Kate recommended...

Though as Kate says, it may be something more advanced that the OP is in need of.

(I need to go and post again on that thread actually, having finished my first term of Alex's beginner classes, as well as trying out a few drop-ins.  I had my first taste of a Hannah Frost class last Friday.)

Edited by RuthE
  • Like 2

oooh, looking forward to reading about your experiences, RuthE!

@BeaverElliot when you see this thread it might help us advise you if you give something of your dance background and current level of study. Then there are the practicalities of where you'll be staying in London, as this might affect which studios are good for you. London is a rather large city!

• Like 1

Hi there, unless people know something I don’t know, I can’t think of a shop that has a good selection of dancewear for guys. Capezio, Dancia, Freed, Bloch in Covent Garden sell shoes and socks and dancebelts. My DS gets practice wear from H&M sports section. Dance shorts he gets from the US 😂. There’s a Lululemon in Covent Garden. Wishing you well for your trip. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Hambleton said:

Hi there, unless people know something I don’t know, I can’t think of a shop that has a good selection of dancewear for guys. Capezio, Dancia, Freed, Bloch in Covent Garden sell shoes and socks and dancebelts. My DS gets practice wear from H&M sports section. Dance shorts he gets from the US 😂. There’s a Lululemon in Covent Garden. Wishing you well for your trip. 

Just my thoughts - IF ONLY such a thing as a male dancewear shop existed!!!!

Even the online selection in the UK is poor !

• Like 3

Hearty thanks to all of you who have shared your thoughts!

Having started late, my ballet pursuits are at the intermediate level.

Several beginner pas2 classes I’ve found to be quite do-able.

Because adult amateur ballet classes are largely female in participation,

it’s extremely rare to be exposed to male technique, notwithstanding that

the classic fundamentals are not gender differentiated in this very binary field.

Consequently, cross training and self training (with the help of videos)

are a couple of ways guys must resort to for developing their skills outside

of attending conservatories and academies for the vocationally-focused.

(Another type of training sought (that should have been included in my initial post)

is balletic mime, i.e. gestures, body language, non-verbal communication / acting.)

So while conventional adult drop-in classes are the norm, they’re not sufficient

for learning the wider range of male role skills; supplemental learning is needed.

There’s a rare drop-in class for pas2 that I’ve been able to find (in NYC, at Ballet Arts). For stage swordplay, I’ve taken some martial duelling / fencing training. Point work also is something I’ve exposed myself to in order to better understand the full gamut of classical dance.

There’s some great suggestions offered; much appreciated!

12 hours ago, Farawaydancer said:

Where did you order from? DS is desperate for some dancewear that isn’t black, navy or grey!

Assuming that the studio is fine with more vibrant and less conservative hues and tones, it’s pretty easy to dye white dancewear a great many colours.  It is pretty easy to sew leggings using a vast selection of colourful and patterned stretchy fabrics.  (Youtube provides instruction on stretch sewing.)  Patterns are pretty straight forward.

B, N and G colours are stocked for reasons others don’t share.

https://boysdancetoo.com/collections/mens-dancewear/products/microfiber-tight-with-mesh-insert-mens?variant=12561294458958

have a bit of colour choice for older dancers in some products but not for younger ones.

Yumiko lets you choose from many colours I believe (custom order, not just the shown black).

https://www.yumiko.com/us_en/men.html

And ready to wear

https://www.yumiko.com/us_en/men/ready-to-wear.html?colorfilter=14

Edited by BeaverElliot

17 hours ago, Farawaydancer said:

Where did you order from? DS is desperate for some dancewear that isn’t black, navy or grey!

UK based Move dancewear are very reliable and sell red or bright blue shorts online. Boysdancetoo.com are in the US so their site is worth a look

• 7 months later...