Another case of ballet student abuse (allegations)

Pas de Quatre

Just goes to show - all those who are moaning about British schools not pushing their students hard enough need to take a long look at what is happening elsewhere, and at what price some of the children might be paying for their performances.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, bangorballetboy said:

The important word at this stage is “allegations”.

Whilst I agree with that, it doesn't appear to be just one person making allegations, a number of people have come forward. Sometimes all it takes is for one person to stick their head above the parapet, and others will then feel able to follow suit.

• Like 7

10 hours ago, alison said:

Maybe, but at the same time similar cases have been known to throw up people making spurious claims as well, so I think we should stick with "allegations" for the time being.

Maybe worth tweaking the thread title?

• Like 1

• alison changed the title to Another case of ballet student abuse (allegations)
1 hour ago, Tulip said:

The academy has actually acknowledged that student have been physically and emotionally abused and have vowed to change its practice. 

Sorry I didn’t know how to copy the quotes from the report. 

Just what I was going to say - assuming the article is accurate on that point then it seems at the very least there is an admission that things need to change!

Edited by Billyelliott
Typo
  • Like 1

On 13/04/2019 at 11:25, Billyelliott said:

I do hope that in the future enough of the students will feel empowered to unite and speak up and stamp this out!

It is worthwhile I think to note the point that was being made regarding what might be characterized as ballet’s inbred, native, built-in culture of obedience.  There exist traditional pedagogical attitudes which get passed down and perpetuated within a kind of at times cult-like mentality, some of which is a set of arbitrary, socially constructed beliefs rooted in thinking from centuries past, based on my readings and observations.  

Subordinated, disempowered individuals within an authoritarian hierarchy that can reward and punish will simply not just ‘speak up’ despite the abuse and torment... due to systemic beliefs and attitudes or culture whereby complaints are not well received, supported nor handled.  Otherwise, why would it have taken so long for a significant, long standing, institutionalized shortcoming to have come to light?  What role does top management have in down-playing any reported troubles?

Thin, underweight female performers apparently has its origins with a certain, noted choreographer and is justified as a prescriptive, aesthetic ideal of the art form, much like the adoration of unnatural ankle-foot extension and turn out.  Whether ballet can self reform is an intriguing proposition.

Ballerina: Sex, Scandal and Suffering Behind the Symbol of Perfection

D. Kelly

Ballet Across Borders: Career and Culture in the World of Dancers

H. Wulff

Edited by BeaverElliot

18 hours ago, BeaverElliot said:

It is worthwhile I think

18 hours ago, BeaverElliot said:

It is worthwhile I think to note the point that was being made regarding what might be characterized as ballet’s inbred, native, built-in culture of obedience.  There exist traditional pedagogical attitudes which get passed down and perpetuated within a kind of at times cult-like mentality, some of which is a set of arbitrary, socially constructed beliefs rooted in thinking from centuries past, based on my readings and observations.  

Subordinated, disempowered individuals within an authoritarian hierarchy that can reward and punish will simply not just ‘speak up’ despite the abuse and torment... due to systemic beliefs and attitudes or culture whereby complaints are not well received, supported nor handled.  Otherwise, why would it have taken so long for a significant, long standing, institutionalized shortcoming to have come to light?  What role does top management have in down-playing any reported troubles?

Thin, underweight female performers apparently has its origins with a certain, noted choreographer and is justified as a prescriptive, aesthetic ideal of the art form, much like the adoration of unnatural ankle-foot extension and turn out.  Whether ballet can self reform is an intriguing proposition.

D. Kelly

H. Wulff

to note the point that was being made regarding what might be characterized as ballet’s inbred, native, built-in culture of obedience.  There exist traditional pedagogical attitudes which get passed down and perpetuated within a kind of at times cult-like mentality, some of which is a set of arbitrary, socially constructed beliefs rooted in thinking from centuries past, based on my readings and observations.  

D. Kelly

H. Wulff

A similar thing has happened with the American gymnastics, it took years to come to light, and be taken seriously. Some parents actually chose to shush their children so not to lose their place on the squad.