Benois de la Danse 2019 nominations

Came across this do thought I would start a thread. Congratulations to Vadim Muntagirov and John McFarlane for their nominations!

<At a press conference in the Bolshoi Theater of Russia, the nominees for the International Ballet Prize Benois de la Dance (Benois de la danse) were announced. 28 artists from Russia, USA, France, Austria and other countries will compete for the victory.

Six choreographers claim for the award: Juanho Arques (Birmingham Royal Ballet), Septim Webre (Kansas City Ballet), Manuel Legrey (Vienna State Ballet), Justin Peck (San Francisco Ballet), Fredrik Benke Reedman (Stockholm State Ballet), Christian Shpuk (Zurich Ballet).

Anastasia Stashkevich (Bolshoi Theater), Amandine Albison (Paris Opera Ballet), Ashley Bauder (New York City Ballet), Eliza Carrillo Cabrera (Berlin State Ballet), Maya Makhateli (Netherlands National Ballet), Yuan Yuan Tan (San Francisco Ballet), Kaho Yanagisawa (Swedish Royal Ballet).

Vyacheslav Lopatin (Bolshoi Theater), Audric Besar (Paris Opera Ballet), Andile Ndlovu (Washington Ballet), Daniel Simkin (American Ballet Theater), Daniel Camargo (Netherlands National Ballet), Vadim Muntagirov (Royal Ballet of Great Britain) will compete for the title of best dancer , Abel Rojo (Malpaso).

In the Composers category, Matthew Pierce (The Wizard of Oz, Kansas City Ballet) and Kate Wheatley (Flame, Birmingham Royal Ballet) are nominated.

In addition, four artists are applying for the prize: Jerome Kaplan (“Bayadere”, Berlin State Secretariat), John Macfarlane (“Swan Lake”, Royal Ballet of Great Britain), Robert Perdiola (“Harlequinade”, American Ballet Theater), and Michael Rayford and Liz Vandall (The Wizard of Oz, Kansas City Ballet).

The award ceremony will take place on 21 May.>

• Like 1

Oh, dear .... Think the spelling of some of the nominees' names are a little off the mark (e.g., Manuel Legris, Christian Spuck and Robert Perdziola).  All of these gentlemen are significantly senior and well established in the industry.  Bit galling if this copy is taken from the official press release as it appears to be.  It means the errors will be picked up all over the place unless otherwise checked.  Not good.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Bruce Wall said:

Oh, dear .... Think the spelling of some of the nominees' names are a little off the mark (e.g., Manuel Legris, Christian Spuck and Robert Perdziola).  All of these gentlemen are significantly senior and well established in the industry.  Bit galling if this copy is taken from the official press release as it appears to be.  It means the errors will be picked up all over the place unless otherwise checked.  Not good.  

It was actually from the official Benois site but through Google translate, so....

• Like 1

Just now, Balletfanp said:

It was actually from the official Benois site but through Google translate, so....

That’s really odd as, when I go to the website (benois.theatre.ru), it comes up in English. 

The names of the Jury are listed there too, Alison.

• Like 1

The Benois programme page itself also has errors ... I've laid out two (as emboldened) below - 

The program of the evening includes both classical and neo-classical fragments, as well as works of young modern choreographers. Participants included Maria Kochetkova, Silvia Atszoni and Alexander Ryabko, Anna Laudere and Edwin Revazov, Vadim Muntagirov and Sara Lamb, Victoria Jayani and Timur Suluashvili, and other stars from the ballet world.

Edited by Bruce Wall

9 hours ago, Bruce Wall said:

The Benois programme page itself also has errors ... I've laid out two (as emboldened) below - 

The program of the evening includes both classical and neo-classical fragments, as well as works of young modern choreographers. Participants included Maria Kochetkova, Silvia Atszoni and Alexander Ryabko, Anna Laudere and Edwin Revazov, Vadim Muntagirov and Sara Lamb, Victoria Jayani and Timur Suluashvili, and other stars from the ballet world.

Now the question is................(ref. the recent Russian Icons Gala)..........will any of the above actually appear?

Mr Kaplan is on the list as one of the "four artists...applying for the prize" and they are all designers - he's in the same section as John Macfarlane for the Scarlett Swan Lake.

19 hours ago, Sabine0308 said:

not sure why the list says Jerome Kaplan, Berlin State Secretariat😀

NOMINEES 2019, with correct names, works, roles and secretariats 😁 - copied from here

CHOREOGRAPHERS
JUANJO ARQUÉS –Ignite, Kate Whitley. Birmingham Royal Ballet.
MANUEL LEGRIS – Sylvia, Leo Delibes. Vienna State Ballet.
JUSTIN PECK – Hurry Up, We’re Dreaming, M8 (Anthony Gonzalez, Yann Gonzalez, Bradley Laner, Justin Meldal-Johnson). San-Francisco Ballet.
FREDRIK BENKE RYDMAN – Duet with an Industrial Robot, Johan Lilje Dal, Karl Johan Rasmusson. State Theatre Stockholm.
CHRISTIAN SPUCK – Winterreise, Hans Zender, Franz Schubert. Zurich Ballet.
SEPTIME WEBRE – Wizard of OZ, Matthew Pierce. Kansas City Ballet.

BALLERINAS
AMANDINE ALBISSON – Marguerite Gautier, La Dame aux Camélias, F.Chopin/J.Neumeier. Paris Opera Ballet.
ASHLEY BOUDER – Swanilda, Coppelia, L.Delibes/G.Balanchine. New York City Ballet.
ELISA CARRILLO CABRERA –Juliet, Romeo and Juliet, S.Prokofiev/N.Duato. State Ballet Berlin.
MAIA MAKHATELI – Marguerite Gautier, La Dame aux Camélias, F.Chopin/J.Neumeier. Dutch National Ballet.
ANASTASIA STASHKEVICH – Dolly, Anna Karenina, P.Tchaikovsky, A.Shnitke, C.Stevens-Y.Islam/J.Neumeier. Bolshoi Theatre of Russia.
YUAN YUAN TAN – Duet Take a Deep Breath, Bound to, K.Henson/Ch.Wheeldon. San Francisco Ballet.
KAHO YANAGISAWA – Solo part, Artifact Suite, E.Crossman-Hecht, I.S.Bach/W.Forsythe. Royal Swedish Ballet

DANCERS
AUDRIC BEZARD – Armand Duval, La Dame aux Camélias, F.Chopin/J.Neumeier. Paris Opera Ballet.
DANIEL CAMARGO – Armand Duval, La Dame aux Camélias, F.Chopin/J.Neumeier; Basilio, Don Quichot, L.Minkus/M.Petipa, A.Ratmansky. Dutch National Ballet.
VIACHESLAV LOPATIN – Faun, C.Debussy,N.Sawhney/S.L.Cherkaoui. Bolshoi Theatre of Russia.
VADIM MUNTAGIROV – Prince Siegfried, Swan Lake,P.Tchaikovsky/L.Scarlett. Royal Ballet London.
ANDILE NDLOVU – Mercutio, Romeo and Juliet,S.Prokofiev/J.Cranko. The Washington Ballet.
ABEL ROJO – Carrying with My Own Floor,E.Satie/A.Rojo.Malpaso Company.
DANIIL SIMKIN – Harlequin, Harlequinade, R.Drigo/M.Petipa, A.Ratmansky. American Ballet Theatre.

COMPOSERS
MATTHEW PIERCE – Wizard of OZ, choreography by SeptimeWebre, Kansas City Ballet.
KATE WHITLEY – Ignite, choreography by JuanjoArques, Birmingham Royal Ballet.

DESIGNERS
JÉRÔME KAPLAN – La Bayadère, L.Minkus/M.Petipa, A.Ratmansky, State Ballet Berlin.
JOHN MACFARLANE – Swan Lake, P.Tchaikovsky/L.Scarlett, Royal Ballet London.
ROBERT PERDZIOLA – Harlequinade, R.Drigo/M.Petipa, A.Ratmansky, American Ballet Theatre.
MICHAEL RAYFORD-LIZ VANDAL – Wizard of OZ, M.Pierce/S.Webre, Kansas City Ballet.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Sophoife said:

Mr Kaplan is on the list as one of the "four artists...applying for the prize" and they are all designers - he's in the same section as John Macfarlane for the Scarlett Swan Lake.

I was confused about listing him as working for the Berlin State "secretariat"😀

Sometimes Google translate is very funny, Sergei Filin's last name for example sometimes comes back as an owl, and Denys Cherevychko's name (Vienna State Ballet) comes back as slippers, like Tchaikovsky's opera "Cherevichki"   😨

• Like 3

The Jury this year (buried deep in the benois web site) 

List of the Jury 2019

YURI GRIGOROVICH – President;
DIRK BADENHORST – CEO of the South African International Ballet Competition, Director of Mzansi Ballet andCuDanSA school;
TED BRANDSEN – Director of Het National Ballet;
SVETLANA ZAKHAROVA – Primaballerina of the Bolshoi Theatre of Russia;
ANA LAGUNA – International Star, ballet master and coach;
AGNES LETESTU –Etoile of the Paris Opera Ballet, costume designer;
VLADIMIR MALAKHOV – International Star, coach, choreographer;
RACHEL MOORE – President and CEO of the LosAngeles Music Center.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, capybara said:

Sorry to be an 'old cynic' but I think that, within the list of jury members, lie some clues as who will win this year. Just going on past practice...............

Agreed, and I find it very hard to take this prize seriously as a result.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 16/04/2019 at 09:42, Lizbie1 said:

Agreed, and I find it very hard to take this prize seriously as a result.

26 minutes ago, Balletfanp said:

Wow, huge congratulations to Vadim!! Absolutely deserved!

18 minutes ago, Balletfanp said:

John McFarlane too! How wonderful!

I take it all back 😉

• Like 3

This is Vadim's second win and, this time, there was apparently noone on the jury who is in any way connected with him.

I have to withdraw my earlier scepticism and apologise for it.

Edited by capybara
  • Like 6

BENOIS DE LA DANSE-2019 LAUREATES

FOR LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT
Jiri Kylian

CHOREOGRAPHERS 
Fredrik Benke Rydman
Christian Spuck

BALLERINAS 
Ashley Bouder
Elisa Carrillo Cabrera

DANCERS
Vadim Muntagirov

SCENOGRAPHER 
John Macfarlane

THE RUSSIAN-ITALIAN PRIZE BENOIS-MASSINE
Anna Laudere

Nice to see John Macfarlane up there as well as Vadim.

• Like 5