Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hi I have a place to study musical theatre btec at a performing arts college for September. What tap shoes and character heels would you suggest I buy? I haven't tapped before so want something suitable for my level but will also last as I (hopefully) improve.

 

Thankyou in advance :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you been sent a uniform list yet?  I'd hold on unless you know they don't mind.

 

For tap shoes a lot of colleges seem to like full sole Oxfords, the brand depends on your feet (Bloch for wide, Capezio for narrow etc etc).  The college may have a preference between black or tan character heels/New Yorkers.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Picturesinthefirelight said:

Have you been sent a uniform list yet?  I'd hold on unless you know they don't mind.

 

For tap shoes a lot of colleges seem to like full sole Oxfords, the brand depends on your feet (Bloch for wide, Capezio for narrow etc etc).  The college may have a preference between black or tan character heels/New Yorkers.

Thankyou for your reply,

They haven't sent any induction information yet sand as it's a small, newer Mt college there isn't much information online. It doesn't seem like they are particularly strict on shoes so I may just get them an keep them in the box so they can be returned easily if wrong. I'm quite impatient😂 what heel size character shoes should I get and what brands do you recommend.

 

It's so hard to know whether to spend more on higher quality or get cheaper tap and character shoes for now and see how I get on with them.

 

Decisions decisions!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just what I was going to suggest.  I’d check with the college but would think that any laceup Oxford style tap shoe (they look like this: https://uk.blochworld.com/product/LS3312L) would be fine.  They range from below £30 to almost £60 so I’d start with a basic pair.

 

Agree with Pictures that “Character” probably means New Yorkers/heels as opposed to the canvas RAD Character shoes, so again check whether they want black or tan. 

 

Ah, cross post! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Anna C said:

Just what I was going to suggest.  I’d check with the college but would think that any laceup Oxford style tap shoe (they look like this: https://uk.blochworld.com/product/LS3312L) would be fine.  They range from below £30 to almost £60 so I’d start with a basic pair.

 

Agree with Pictures that “Character” probably means New Yorkers/heels as opposed to the canvas RAD Character shoes, so again check whether they want black or tan. 

 

Ah, cross post! 

Thankyou both so much and yes I meant New Yorkers rather than the RAD shoes!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DD is just about to head into her final term of a Btec Level 3 Extended Diploma in MT. She had to have tap shoes had to be fully laced, Oxfords. She also had to have tan not black New Yorkers with a 3” heel. 

I fully understand your excitement but before you buy anything I would contact the college. DD is at a small college and they don’t put the uniform list on the website but we were emailed it towards the end of May early June. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The full sole Oxford laceup tap shoes should be fine in PU/leatherette for a BTEC.  I wouldn’t get the expensive leather ones yet, see how you get on first.

 

Have you danced in New Yorkers before? They seem to range in heel height between 1.5 and 3 inches, so to start with I wouldn’t go above 2 inches unless they specify 3.   If not specified I’d probably get a reasonably priced black pair to start with. I think some colleges ask for both tan and black but only for shows.

 

Unless you’re absolutely sure you’ve stopped growing, I wouldn’t buy them just yet though! You don’t want to grow out of them before you start your course. ☺️

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Anna C said:

The full sole Oxford laceup tap shoes should be fine in PU/leatherette for a BTEC.  I wouldn’t get the expensive leather ones yet, see how you get on first.

 

Have you danced in New Yorkers before? They seem to range in heel height between 1.5 and 3 inches, so to start with I wouldn’t go above 2 inches unless they specify 3.   If not specified I’d probably get a reasonably priced black pair to start with. I think some colleges ask for both tan and black but only for shows.

 

Unless you’re absolutely sure you’ve stopped growing, I wouldn’t buy them just yet though! You don’t want to grow out of them before you start your course. ☺️

I've taken heel classes (more dancing in stilettos and heeled boots😂😂😁) but haven't ever danced in new yorkers so will definitely take your advice of a 2 inch heel!!

Sorry if I'm sounding slightly stupid but I've seen jazz taps and normal taps which would you suggest?

19 minutes ago, Pointetoes said:

DD is just about to head into her final term of a Btec Level 3 Extended Diploma in MT. She had to have tap shoes had to be fully laced, Oxfords. She also had to have tan not black New Yorkers with a 3” heel. 

I fully understand your excitement but before you buy anything I would contact the college. DD is at a small college and they don’t put the uniform list on the website but we were emailed it towards the end of May early June. 

Yes I have contacted the college and they've told me the induction packs don't get sent out until the summer term,I think after the last round of auditions in June, which when I'm as excited as I am is a long wait😂😂😁 slightly off topic but did your daughter find the mt btec a good grounding for uni/college auditions? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you so much to everyone who has replied 😊 as I'm relatively new to dance (only been doing ballet for around 6 months) and come from a more commercial jazz background your advice and everything else I've read on this forum is really appreciated x 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...