Natalia Goncharova exhibition at Tate Modern

The Natalia Goncharova exhibition opens at Tate Modern, London on 6 June. One room will focus on her work with the Ballets Russes, featuring costume designs and examples of ballet costumes.

https://www.tate.org.uk/whats-on/tate-modern/exhibition/natalia-goncharova

https://ca.blouinartinfo.com/news/story/3619528/uks-first-ever-retrospective-of-russian-avant-garde-artist

• Like 9

• 1 month later...

Yes please report back onemouseplace and anyone else who goes. Exhibitions are so expensive now I only go if I know it's going to be very substantial and what I am interested in! 

• Like 3

I went this morning. There is a full room of Ballets Russes things - a few costumes from Coq d'Or, sketches for Les Noces... They were playing a clip from Coq d'Or (1930s) and one from Les Noces from 70s (Dowell and Beriosova??? It didn't say). The exhibition overall I found very interesting but I wouldn't say the Ballets Russes room was stuffed full of either exhibits or information. 

• Like 6

On 08/06/2019 at 15:49, RHowarth said:

I went this morning. There is a full room of Ballets Russes things - a few costumes from Coq d'Or, sketches for Les Noces... They were playing a clip from Coq d'Or (1930s) and one from Les Noces from 70s (Dowell and Beriosova??? It didn't say). The exhibition overall I found very interesting but I wouldn't say the Ballets Russes room was stuffed full of either exhibits or information. 

Agreed.  I really enjoyed the exhibition as a whole, but I wouldn't go just on the basis of the stage/ costume design aspect of her work.  For The Firebird there was only a theatre poster and a design for the backdrop.

I found plenty of her work very interesting and striking though, and could see how she came to stage and costume design.

• Like 2