Waverley

RBS Junior Associates 2019

10 minutes ago, PutYourBooteesOn said:

Are you back for another round of audition Astrid? I thought DD had already been?! 

Yes she has 😅 today was for elmhurst associates. We are definitely done now! 😆 just in car on way home and logged in to give DD description of the elmhurst audition 😁..

6 hours ago, Spamcat said:

Astrid we are in group 2, she is in now. But her friend (a boy) who we are with is in group 3 so we'll be hanging around.

Lovely to meet you and your lovely DD today, lots of luck to you and your friends little boy and good luck for next week! x

• Like 1

Well done to everybody who has auditioned over the past few days! 😁

I wonder when we will find out? I know in previous years it has been beginning of June but with there being the new Dundee audition and that not being till the first week in June it might be later this year...we weren’t actually told when we would find out at DSs audition, so just guessing really! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Astrid said:

Lovely to meet you and your lovely DD today, lots of luck to you and your friends little boy and good luck for next week! x

Lovely to meet you too. Did your DD enjoy it and feel it went well? Did you get another very detailed account? We have been getting tiny bits from them both all day but they seem to have forgotten most of it! Sounded quite different to royal. Good luck to you DD, we don't have to wait long for Elmhurst results, they said by end of week! 🙈😲🤞🤞🤞

Yes Spamcat she did - She loved it again- she was pretty descriptive - said they went in, warmed up in a circle, did some centre work all in first and second position, plies etc. She said they had to lie on their back and get their leg as close up to their face as poss. No splits, cobra, frog on back. She said they did stand in some positions but didn’t take their shoes off at all. Two improvs - one dancing round the room, one with arms. ‘The lady was taking notes and they had people’s photos’. she said the teacher was ‘more strict but nice’. Sounds completely different to RBS. More dancing. she started talking about her two chances to apply for both schemes again next year so is ready for disappointment but I think just wants it desperately. Amazing school I thought! 

Anyway!

Sorry everyone for that brief diversion - annnnnd back to RBS 😅...💁🏼‍♀️

Astrid another brilliant account from your very observant DD! My daughter is adament that they didn't do an improv dancing around the room in her group, which she is most annoyed about as she really wanted a chance to show off! 😂

Yes back to RBS talk! Looking forward to Thursday. Good luck everyone who still have auditions to do.

@Spamcat strange they were slightly different. maybe because there were more boys in her group. This week is going to be painful I have to say. At least it’s a diversion from the waiting from RBS I guess 🤦🏼‍♀️..also waiting on a job interview I went for. couldn’t be more waiting if I we tried 😂😂 

On 16/05/2019 at 16:47, Vonrothbart said:

There's a big difference between students gaining places at WL and their associate programme.

On 17/05/2019 at 17:59, Vonrothbart said:

I think you'll find RBS take very few ja's to WL for vocational training, obviously there will be more ja's gaining places at their MA scheme.

For the new Y7 WL boys, of which the intake is eleven, 6 I know are JA's. The remaining 5 might also be made up of JA's as well, but I don't know them personally.

All 4 original Y7 MA boys places were offered to existing JA's, but two took vocational training elsewhere.

According to my child's JA teacher, WL does take a higher proportion of JA's to WL than children who are not JA's, this is also borne by this years numbers and the stats in RBS annual report.

The Y6 JA training from September through to Preliminary and WLF auditions focuses exclusively on what to expect in the auditions right down to the improvisation piece that the children have to do.

It doesn't make any sense at all that any ballet school wouldn't have a vested interest in the children they are currently training on their existing associate programs in relation to either vocational training or ongoing associate training

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Motomum said:

For the new Y7 WL boys, of which the intake is eleven, 6 I know are JA's. The remaining 5 might also be made up of JA's as well, but I don't know them personally.

All 4 original Y7 MA boys places were offered to existing JA's, but two took vocational training elsewhere.

According to my child's JA teacher, WL does take a higher proportion of JA's to WL than children who are not JA's, this is also borne by this years numbers and the stats in RBS annual report.

The Y6 JA training from September through to Preliminary and WLF auditions focuses exclusively on what to expect in the auditions right down to the improvisation piece that the children have to do.

It doesn't make any sense at all that any ballet school wouldn't have a vested interest in the children they are currently training on their existing associate programs in relation to either vocational training or ongoing associate training

It definitely does seem as Motomum describes it. If I’m not mistaken, last year, 10 WL offers alone were given to JAs in the London centre. It does seem obvious that there is significantly higher percentage of JAs who gain entry into WL.  If your DCs dream school is WL, then most will apply for JAs every year until they get in. As mentioned before they get prepared for WL auditions, RBS would have very detailed files on them, they get checked by physios - things other DCs wouldn’t really have access to in the “RBS-way”, or at all.  I noticed for other schools it’s not as much of an issue but for WL it does help A LOT.  And this is probably the reason why students who get into WL without being JAs are treasured almost, as they give hope to those who want to get into WL without being in the JA system. Also the reason this thread year after year is always the longest and most active around this time of year. I did notice, however, that quite a lot of JAs we know also attend other associate schemes. So I think in terms of WL entry,probably a significant percentage have supplemental training via other schemes or numerous private lessons and classes and intensives, physio sessions etc etc.  I would be interested to hear stories of DCs who get into WL, doing just normal ballet classes, no privates, no JA, although this might be for another thread altogether...

Can I just give a personal counter example?  This is many years ago, but my DS, on arrival at the WL finals was whisked off to see the physio as there were concerns about hypermobility, based on his performance at JAs.  (I wish, he would now say!) Also his teacher said before the audition round started she thought he would be very well suited to another school - at the end of the first round she said she was genuinely stunned, didn't know he could dance like that - she wished she had could now submit a different report ....

My point is, I genuinely think his card had been marked before the process even started.  It wasn't any great deal other than a little hurt pride.  He did have a weak core which wasn't addressed until many years later, and he got pleasing offers elsewhere.  Two of his friends, one a JA one not a JA both went through WL to year 11, it was the non JA who took the upper school place.  Our postie's son started dancing because he liked DS' EYB t shirt, and is now with BRB.  Was never a JA.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Balletmamatotwo said:

It definitely does seem as Motomum describes it. If I’m not mistaken, last year, 10 WL offers alone were given to JAs in the London centre. It does seem obvious that there is significantly higher percentage of JAs who gain entry into WL.  If your DCs dream school is WL, then most will apply for JAs every year until they get in. As mentioned before they get prepared for WL auditions, RBS would have very detailed files on them, they get checked by physios - things other DCs wouldn’t really have access to in the “RBS-way”, or at all.  I noticed for other schools it’s not as much of an issue but for WL it does help A LOT.  And this is probably the reason why students who get into WL without being JAs are treasured almost, as they give hope to those who want to get into WL without being in the JA system. Also the reason this thread year after year is always the longest and most active around this time of year. I did notice, however, that quite a lot of JAs we know also attend other associate schemes. So I think in terms of WL entry,probably a significant percentage have supplemental training via other schemes or numerous private lessons and classes and intensives, physio sessions etc etc.  I would be interested to hear stories of DCs who get into WL, doing just normal ballet classes, no privates, no JA, although this might be for another thread altogether...

Are you talking about being accepted for WL yr 7 or other years? They are very different things. To be accepted for yr 10 you would need to have been doing a significant amount of quality training both in ballet and body conditioning, which, as has been discussed in other threads, is very difficult (  but not completely impossible) to do in UK without being a vocational student. Hence the high proportion of international students being admitted higher up the school. At yr 7 they will still be looking for potential although admittedly,  many students at age 10/11 already have had plenty training/ associates etc.

Yes sorry, I meant year 7 entry too.  Entry into the other years is a whole different ballgame I think. As you said increasing numbers of internationals and at times it seems like the wait list being bypassed.

Interestingly, although this might digress from the topic a bit, my DD and I watched the RBS Holland Park summer performance last year and in the programme all students participating  were listed. Those we were RBS Associates at some point before they commended full time training at the RBS had stars next to their names and it was very curious to see that at year 7 a majority had stars next to their names apart from the odd 1-2 students and the internationals. As you go up the years and into upper school the instances of these stars became less and less and by the final year I think there might only have been less than a handful in total. 

The actual number for this years WL Y7 intake was 11 boys and 11 girls.

All 11 boys are existing JA’s and 9 of the girls are JA’s.

I suspect this is probably hijacking the RBS audition thread, but it is in its own way relevant and interesting.

I often wondered before my child was a JA how weighted the system might be in favour of those children already in training with RBS. It seems it matters a great deal.

Once you are inside the system and realise how it is working, I found it fascinating if a little scary.

i did say on a previous thread, there are always the exceptional child stories going straight in off the street to WL, but the stats bear out how unusual this actually is in reality.

• Like 1

I think it’s all fascinating! Good for us at the very start of the process to go into everything with our eyes open - that’s the main thing I’ve learned from this forum.

Vocational lower school isn’t something we would be considering at all (even if lucky enough to be successful with JA etc) but I’m fully aware it’s the right choice for some. I’d perhaps also take a different view for DS in due course rather than DD so am not totally against the idea. Fascinating to read about people’s experiences though and the stats going forward into the higher years of vocational training.

@Waverley I wish I had found this forum early on. It really makes a difference if you go down the vocational route, particularly the RBS route. It is a very particular training institution one you only get a real sense of once you are in it. 

• Like 1

Yes, it’s all very fascinating isn’t it? And having spoken to mums of DCs in various vocational schools, it almost sounds like the getting in is the less nerve wracking bit compared to the staying in, especially in relation to WL.  It’s like if you get a no from the start then it’s heart breaking especially as most these DCs (and parents!) sacrifice so much to get them to that stage but a no is a no and at some point they get over it. The more awful feeling I imagine is when the DC actually gets in and both parent and child live year after year with the threat of being assessed out looming over their heads. I’m sure this isn’t the case for everyone as some just get on with it and are perfectly settled but I am sure it is something that’s always at the back of their minds. I suppose with JAs they might be to a certain extent used to this as they get assessed yearly (although not sure anyone actually gets assessed out from JA?)

• Like 3

Having said last year my DD would not audition this year, we are back. I tried to tell her not to but she wanted to so here we go again!

9 hours ago, Balletmamatotwo said:

Yes, it’s all very fascinating isn’t it? And having spoken to mums of DCs in various vocational schools, it almost sounds like the getting in is the less nerve wracking bit compared to the staying in, especially in relation to WL.  It’s like if you get a no from the start then it’s heart breaking especially as most these DCs (and parents!) sacrifice so much to get them to that stage but a no is a no and at some point they get over it. The more awful feeling I imagine is when the DC actually gets in and both parent and child live year after year with the threat of being assessed out looming over their heads. I’m sure this isn’t the case for everyone as some just get on with it and are perfectly settled but I am sure it is something that’s always at the back of their minds. I suppose with JAs they might be to a certain extent used to this as they get assessed yearly (although not sure anyone actually gets assessed out from JA?)

At the insight day we were advised that the only time they would discontinue a child from the JA programme is if it became clear that the child wasn’t making any progress and the style of training didn’t suit them x

Hi everyone, newbie here. Good luck to everyone auditioning. My daughter is auditioning for bath tomorrow (I've seen there's a few others here, hi 🙋‍♀️). 

It's her first time, (yr4). I've seen comments about an under the sea section, is anyone able to elaborate on this at all? My daughters improv in front of others is - let's just say, it'd be about 20 cartwheels, 10 turns, maybe chuck a couple of aerials in there too and a whole load of penches🙈🙈 (Inless it's on tiktok then that's a whole different story 😂🙈). 

Anyway, for the under the sea, do they improv just ballet? Or do they do whatever they like? Is it all on the floor? Is it an actual dance, or just showing moves? Just trying to prepare her. Thanks all so much in advance. 

43 minutes ago, JJ700 said:

Anyway, for the under the sea, do they improv just ballet? Or do they do whatever they like? Is it all on the floor? Is it an actual dance, or just showing moves? Just trying to prepare her. Thanks all so much in advance. 

From what DD said she was on her knees, they had to respond to the music so move in time to how he played..I wouldn’t worry too much, I have a sneaking suspicion by that point they probably already know if they like any of them..they would probably just love watching her whatever she did 🙃 they do genuinely have a lovely time 

i think it’s so they can see their musicality (I’m on a steep learning curve 😂

Sorry JJ700 should also say good luck!!  And to everyone else in Bath this week xx

Hi - I know exactly what you mean about the acro moves in improv (!) and I've said to my DD it's not that kind of improv!

My understanding is that it's just about musicality and responding to the music, nothing major, and they should just listen and move in the way it makes them want to (on knees/seated/however they are told to on the day). I don't think it needs to be specific ballet steps per se, just movement (?)

Good luck to your DD and everyone in Bath. We are inching closer to DD's audition in London at the end of next week, feels like it's taking ages to come round but at least its less of a wait till the results I guess!