Waverley

RBS Junior Associates 2019

Hi Bunny! Yes this makes sense to us too as my DD said ‘the man’ asked her to correct something (I think she meant Mark) and she was an odd number. Although there was three on the panel at ours I think? The plot thickens.. 😅 

37 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

Hello Bunny and welcome to the Forum!

Thank you Jan! 

22 minutes ago, Astrid said:

Hi Bunny! Yes this makes sense to us too as my DD said ‘the man’ asked her to correct something (I think she meant Mark) and she was an odd number. Although there was three on the panel at ours I think? The plot thickens.. 😅 

Hi Astrid! Oooh was there really? I suppose more kids means more staff to assess them doesn’t it.

Im trying not to overanalyse but it is so hard when they’re so desperate for a place isn’t it! 

Hi. Just wanted to say dont worry if you dont get in ja's. The game is not over. My dd was a no for year 4, 5 and 6 plus the easter/summer schools. No wait lists. We worked really hard. She ended up at White Lodge finals with another 52 girls. She was then in recall on the 2nd day. She did not get a place but she did get mds offers at the other 3 schools and is off to one in September! 

• Like 5

Hi Ms Sunshine, oh that’s absolutely amazing, huge congratulations to your daughter! How exciting for you both! Thank you for sharing your experience, it’s definitely helpful! DS is currently dead set on ballet being the right path for him and it’s all he wants to do, so it’s really reassuring to hear stories like your DDs! 

• Like 1

No offence to royal as they are an amazing company but 90% at a guess of ja's dont make White Lodge finals. They take who they like! 

Ms Sunshine, speaking as an outsider this seems quite reasonable. While being a JA will theoretically improve a child’s chances of being noticed for WL because they’re already “known to the school”, the fact that the school will have had up to almost 3 years to observe each of those children means that the school will invariably have had time to form fixed views on each child’s potential for further training be it WL or MAs.

• Like 1

I think we have an understandable focus on RBS- after all, our children are auditioning- and for JA places we’re still very early in our experience of all this. It’s exciting and it’s...well....RBS. A quick glance through this site though shows just how many opportunities there are for our children to do what they love -and only a tiny proportion of that is through RBS. So yes, it will be amazing if they get a place but not getting a RBS place now at this early age really isn’t the end of their opportunities.

That said....good luck everyone and I’m looking forward to the next few weeks of second guessing the ‘criteria’ and waiting for the results with you all ☺️

• Like 2

My heart broke a little every time she were a no. My dd was not bothered in the slightest. Just keep thinking of new things to do and new adventures to try! 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Ms Sunshine said:

No offence to royal as they are an amazing company but 90% at a guess of ja's dont make White Lodge finals. They take who they like! 

My son was in this years WL final, he is a JA, and all the other boys at the finals, bar two were JA’s.

Of the 4 Y7 London MA places originally all the offers were to boys that had been JA’s.

I think your % is the wrong way around.

In RBS annual report they take around 88-90% of existing associates through to WL or on to the next level of associate training. 

Probably I am wrong. But all im saying is with all the centre's in year 6 with sometimes 2 groups in them they select 50 ish girls for finals. Nothing is a definate. 

On 14/05/2019 at 11:59, Shelley Case said:

Perhaps they were auditioning at a different centre due to All England regionals that are on in half term? 

Hi everyone, my dd auditioned at Eastleigh for a yr 5 London place this year purely because of the potential clash with All England. Would have preferred to go to London but would have been a risk that she'd have to choose between the JA and all England. 

Seen a few comments regarding the reverse frog position. Not heard of this exercise before but dd said one of the judges pushed her legs down further. Apparently there was only one other child they did this to. Not sure what to make of this but hoping it's a positive sign. Has anyone had previous experience with judges being hands on?

12 hours ago, Bunny said:

Hi Astrid! Oooh was there really? I suppose more kids means more staff to assess them doesn’t it.

Im trying not to overanalyse but it is so hard when they’re so desperate for a place isn’t it! 

Yes there was another gentlemen there I didn’t recognise. I say recognise like I’m some sort of expert 😆 

I have already come to the conclusion we haven’t got a cat chance in hell looking at some of the talented kids there that day, but my goodness I love the analysing? It’s so fascinating to me...

we had about 25 in our class. they lined up in four groups of 6 and a couple of the groups had an extra in. 

21 minutes ago, CrazyDanceMum said:

Hi everyone, my dd auditioned at Eastleigh for a yr 5 London place this year purely because of the potential clash with All England. Would have preferred to go to London but would have been a risk that she'd have to choose between the JA and all England. 

Seen a few comments regarding the reverse frog position. Not heard of this exercise before but dd said one of the judges pushed her legs down further. Apparently there was only one other child they did this to. Not sure what to make of this but hoping it's a positive sign. Has anyone had previous experience with judges being hands on?

My daughter said a man came and gave her a correction when she was doing this. I  asked what and she said, he moved my leg..and asked ‘ can I do it like this’ if that makes sense? 

11 hours ago, Ms Sunshine said:

My heart broke a little every time she were a no. My dd was not bothered in the slightest. Just keep thinking of new things to do and new adventures to try! 

Wow  Ms sunshine what an amazing resilient little DD you have, and congrats to her on her achievements! amazing! 

Student received hands on correction the year she was offered a place, so don’t take it as a negative!

18 hours ago, Motomum said:

My son was in this years WL final, he is a JA, and all the other boys at the finals, bar two were JA’s.

Of the 4 Y7 London MA places originally all the offers were to boys that had been JA’s.

I think your % is the wrong way around.

In RBS annual report they take around 88-90% of existing associates through to WL or on to the next level of associate training. 

There's a big difference between students gaining places at WL and their associate programme.

36 minutes ago, Vonrothbart said:

There's a big difference between students gaining places at WL and their associate programme.

Just to add one more point :) We met a few internationals and a few non ja girls at White Lodge finals from the 53. Boys are a very different story as so few compared to the girls. 

2 hours ago, Vonrothbart said:

I wasn't comparing them, I was stating that RBS take a very high % of their existing associates onto both WL training and ongoing associates training programs. The exact figures are in their annual reports.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Motomum said:

I wasn't comparing them, I was stating that RBS take a very high % of their existing associates onto both WL training and ongoing associates training programs. The exact figures are in their annual reports.

I think the 88-90% might refer to the percentage of WL students that were previously JAs, rather than the proportion of JAs that go onto WL or MAs. There are tiny numbers of places at Year 7 compared to the figures for Year 6.

• Like 1

Birmingham took 2 year 6 girls to start year 7 girls ma's and one starting at White Lodge. The current year 6 have 2 classes. That leaves alot of kids without anything in year 7.

6 hours ago, Bluebird22 said:

Student received hands on correction the year she was offered a place, so don’t take it as a negative!

How do you do this every year with all the different students? (and parents?!) 😂

6 hours ago, Bluebird22 said:

That's good know Bluebird22

Anybody else at the Leeds session today? DD was in the 12-1pm

group. 

She really enjoyed it and it was very similar to the descriptions above. 

Just the waiting game now but I’ve tried to keep our expectations low so that the next few weeks aren’t an angst ridden ride!!!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Motomum said:

I think you'll find RBS take very few ja's to WL for vocational training, obviously there will be more ja's gaining places at their MA scheme.

• Like 1

My DD who is auditioning in Bath on Thursday for a yr4 place is also auditioning for Elmhurst tomorrow so is very excited at the moment! Will be interesting to see if the audition is similar to RBS.

12 hours ago, Spamcat said:

My DD who is auditioning in Bath on Thursday for a yr4 place is also auditioning for Elmhurst tomorrow so is very excited at the moment! Will be interesting to see if the audition is similar to RBS.

Same here spamcat! on our way to Birmingham now. We are group 3 🙃

• Like 1

Astrid we are in group 2, she is in now. But her friend (a boy) who we are with is in group 3 so we'll be hanging around.

53 minutes ago, Spamcat said:

Astrid we are in group 2, she is in now. But her friend (a boy) who we are with is in group 3 so we'll be hanging around.

Well I’m in a pink top and a leather jacket so do say hi if you see us..lols ballet co blind date 😂 good luck to your DD!!

• Like 1