RBS Junior Associates 2019

AllAboutTheJourney

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Bunny said:

Just as an aside and as a matter of interest do we know how many groups there were auditioning at Newcastle? I thought 3 but perhaps only 2?

Out of interest how many are there on average. St Eastleigh we were group 5 

1 minute ago, Emma101 said:

Out of interest how many are there on average. St Eastleigh we were group 5 

It's different for every centre Emma, just depends how many apply I think. Newcastle is a small centre with just one mixed class for all of Y4,5,and 6 but I know nothing about the other centres, hope somebody else can advise a bit more for you.

In terms of total candidates somebody (sorry, can't remember who it was!) kindly posted a link a few pages up that shows the stats for the total amount of applicants, and to the JA scheme I think there was about 1300 children last year? x

55 minutes ago, Dancermom said:

Hiya, yes you can do both, but @Spamcat applied for royal in Bath and elmhurst in Birmingham so that would be impossible logistically I think 🤔 although I don’t know the times of the bath JAs xx 

You can definitely do both, I know of others who have done this.  We will have a difficult decision to make if she were lucky enough to be offered a place in Bath. I wish I'd applied to Birmingham but I didn't even know about Elmhurst until after we had applied to Royal, then her dance teacher said she wanted her to also apply for Elmhurst! Now she has got in and been to a class she just loves it. Dance teacher said it might be possible request to switch JA centre. I'm not worrying too much at this stage as I know it's a very slim chance anyway!

Genuinely don’t know how you guys who’ve been waiting for 5/6 weeks are coping - it’s only been a week and a half for us... I know - I really do - that it’s not that big a deal, that it’s very likely to be a no, that RBS isn’t everything etc etc - but I just want to know either way so we can move on!

Doesn’t help that out of all the many things DD has tried out for over the last few years - panto, comp teams etc - this is the first time she’s ever been asking me day to day when I think we’ll hear, if we think she’ll get in... she just seems to have really loved it and is really keen for it to work out... 

Anyway this week we are also expecting ballet exam results, internal competition team results, internal associate scheme results and various other bits of news so I’m trying to keep my mind off JA’s with all of that! 

Really hope you guys who are waiting for Newcastle hear soon! Nice to have some company anyway while we wait...

@Spamcat We applied for London but put Birmingham second on the application  (for year 5).  My ds loved the class at Elmhurst last Saturday and was amazed by how good the girls were. We had accepted the Elmhurst offer before going to the JA audition which was 30th of May so I have really been trying to get JA out of my head as so unlikely and feel very fortunate about the offer from Elmhurst. But still going crazy now🤣

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Spamcat said:

You can definitely do both, I know of others who have done this.  We will have a difficult decision to make if she were lucky enough to be offered a place in Bath. I wish I'd applied to Birmingham but I didn't even know about Elmhurst until after we had applied to Royal, then her dance teacher said she wanted her to also apply for Elmhurst! Now she has got in and been to a class she just loves it. Dance teacher said it might be possible request to switch JA centre. I'm not worrying too much at this stage as I know it's a very slim chance anyway!

Yes there’s quite a few girls at Elmhurst that change into their royal leotards after class! 

If your DD did get into royal at Bath then I think it’s a good option to ask about moving to Bham as they might get her in or put her on a waitlist. 

@Waverley yes it’s hard waiting 🤦‍♀️ I think I’ve done quite well this year but now people are talking about results coming out this week I think I’m going to get a bit obsessive about it again 🤣

• Like 1

@Lara Eschler you are in exactly the same position as us then. We also put Birmingham as second choice. It certainly makes the wait for the Royal results a bit less nerve wracking when you already have a place at Elmhurst doesn't it?! Would you choose Royal over Elmhurst if you got a place?

@Dancermom I wonder if there might be quite a few who want to switch to Bham in the same boat? Which might make it difficult. There's no way she's giving up Elmhurst though, so if she does get in it would be the only option.

Good question!

my little student auditioned at Birmingham for a Manchester place and put Birmingham second choice! But been told by others on here that we will hear our result from our Birmingham audition! If that makes sense! Nervously waiting results here although she’s convinced also that no place for her. 

According to what I've read on here it sounds like the auditions do come out in order of audition venue as opposed to where you have your place. So I guess if we got our 2nd choice of Birmingham we still wouldn't find out until the Bath results come out.

• Like 1

Wishing everyone on here all the best. Thinking of u all and have everything crossed. Look forward to another day of obsessive email checking & might invest in some tena ladies following the shock I suffered when the RB course in Belfast came through 🤣 

• Like 1

Morning everyone and good luck, hope we start getting some results today!

I keep finding myself scrolling back through pages of posts trying to remember who is same centre as me, who also has very young dc etc and so I had an idea and made up a little survey. If anyone would like to do it for reference so we all know who's who just copy and paste and replace my answers. Here's mine:

Son or Daughter? Daughter
Birthday? August
Year applied for? 4
Auditioned in? Bath (23rd May group 2)
For a place in? Bath
Second choice? Birmingham
Applied before? No
Any other centres? Been offered place at Elmhurst.

Any other info? We now wish we'd gone for Birmingham so she could do both.

Edited by Spamcat

Nice idea @Spamcat 🙂 

Birthday? August

Year applied for? 4

Auditioned in? London (Group 4, 31 May)

For a place in? London

Second choice? Newcastle 

Applied before? No

Any other centres? Only tried for RBS - Elmhurst locations are too hard to get to for us. 

Any other info? We’d be travelling v far to get to JA’s so to be honest it will be a mixed blessing if she gets in. We’re in Scotland so if it’s No this year then DD will maybe try for Dundee next year when she is old enough (the age limits are slightly different for Dundee) 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Fairydust said:

Morning all, does anyone know how many groups there were at Birmingham Fri 3rd May, DD was in group 3 and I know there was a boys group before her and a girls group after her, was there a group 5 and maybe even 6?

No idea 🙄 my DD audition at Birmingham on 2nd May in group 3. Not sure how many groups there were on this date too - shout up peeps if anyone knows x

27 minutes ago, Fairydust said:

Morning all, does anyone know how many groups there were at Birmingham Fri 3rd May, DD was in group 3 and I know there was a boys group before her and a girls group after her, was there a group 5 and maybe even 6?

We were group four and a group 5 was after us at 330. That was the last one. In other words, a lot! 

• Like 2

Birthday? July
Year applied for? 5
Auditioned in? Eastleigh (we were traveling for half term so couldn’t go to the London ones)
For a place in? London
Second choice? London
Applied before? Yes. Last year. No luck.
Any other centres? No

Any other info? Not feeling confident. She’s very small, I mean tiny. She gets mistaken for Reception age children. Not good for line-ups..... But I’m hopeful. 

• Like 1

Nice idea @Spamcat

Birthday? May

Year applied for? 4

Auditioned in? Birmingham (Group 4, 3rd May)

For a place in? London

Applied before? No

Any other centres? Applied for elmhurst and was lucky enough to get a place.  

Any other info? We have to travel quite a way to both centres, and have two other DCs (younger) to consider - London slightly shorter journey but have parents in Birmingham so each option has benefits! really loved elmhurst though and wasn’t expecting to get in there, and we would be stuck like others above if we were ever lucky enough to be in that scenario. 🙃

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Astrid said:

Nice idea @Spamcat

Birthday? May

Year applied for? 4

Auditioned in? Birmingham (Group 4, 3rd May)

For a place in? London

Applied before? No

Any other centres? Applied for elmhurst and was lucky enough to get a place.  

Any other info? We have to travel quite a way to both centres, and have two other DCs (younger) to consider - London slightly shorter journey but have parents in Birmingham so each option has benefits! really loved elmhurst though and wasn’t expecting to get in there, and we would be stuck like others above if we were ever lucky enough to be in that scenario. 🙃

@Astrid, can you remember what number your DD and last number in the class.  Tried so hard not to do this but now obsessing! not that it will make any difference to the results

@Fairydust the numbers in ours went from something like 86 and finished at 113. She was 113. she is May birthday. There was 27 in her class. The class after was up to (I think) 136 or there About, I did a quick scan on my way out. I worked out that there was at least 50 year 4 on May 3rd not including who was in your group. Basically such a tiny chance..

19 minutes ago, ExpatB said:

Birthday? July
Year applied for? 5
Auditioned in? Eastleigh (we were traveling for half term so couldn’t go to the London ones)
For a place in? London
Second choice? London
Applied before? Yes. Last year. No luck.
Any other centres? No

Any other info? Not feeling confident. She’s very small, I mean tiny. She gets mistaken for Reception age children. Not good for line-ups..... But I’m hopeful. 

We are at Eastleigh and we have some tiny year 4 girls so i honestly don't think size is an issue. xx

many thanks @Astrid, DD group was 58 to 85 with DD number 74, (Nov born) very interesting to know. The class before DD was all boys.

As you say there is such a slim chance, I think less than 10% for the girls but what fantastic experience for them just to have the confidence at this age to audition.  They are all absolute stars

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Waverley said:

Nice idea @Spamcat 🙂 

Birthday? December

Year applied for? 5

Auditioned in? Birmingham (Group 3, 2nd May)

For a place in? Birmingham

Applied before? No

Any other centres? Elmhurst, 11th May - didnt get through

Any other info? Current Associate pupil of The School of Ballet Theatre UK since 2017. Recommend this place 👍👍 

2 minutes ago, Lara Eschler said:

Son

March

going into year 5

auditioned in London

for London

second choice Birmingham

applied last year

just accepted Elmhurst offer for year 5 and feel very happy about it.

Congratulations on Elmhurst success! Very well done x

12 hours ago, Bunny said:

Just as an aside and as a matter of interest do we know how many groups there were auditioning at Newcastle? I thought 3 but perhaps only 2?

There was at least 3 because we were Group 2 and there was another after us. I am really confused about the age categories though. Your DS is older than my DD Bunny, so that would suggest reverse chronological order, but there can't have been a younger group than DD's?! I know in the grand scheme of things it's not important but it has puzzled me for a while!