RBS Junior Associates 2019

AllAboutTheJourney

5 hours ago, PutYourBooteesOn said:

She had a fantastic time, thanks. she thoroughly enjoyed it and felt she’d done her best, all we can ask of them, isn’t it.... just the long wait now!

@Astrid good luck DD for today. 

@Dancing unicorn hope today goes well for your student! 

Thank you! And good luck to you too glad it went well 🙂 xx

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well we have been and done it! It was fantastic - she came out and said ‘I LOVED it’. I don’t know what they do but all of them came out bouncing off the walls with excitement! 

DD has now hit a post exciting day crash, but before she did I managed to get a fairly detailed account of what happened for anyone interested! In summary:

They were given numbers and lined up in order. I think it was in age.

Mark Annear (I think) gave a little talk about how he would love to take them all but it will only be a few, but just to enjoy it.

they all went off.

DD then says they went it and did a quick warm up. Skips and gallops. 

Then they lined up at the barre, took off their shoes and socks and took it in turns in groups of 6 to go and stand in front of the panel.

they stood in parallel, to the side, in first position and sitting down with legs stretched out and feet pointed.

then they went back to the barre and did some barre work.

they then did some stretches - frog on back, NO SPLITS, a version of a cobra type thing..they did a version of ‘dolphin’ in yoga where they life their front and legs off floor. They had to also try and lift their heels off the floor as far as possible while sitting with legs out in front.

they did skips  and gallops across room and a thing that DD described as ‘gallops, spring jumps and landing in an arabesque’

they has to pretend to be something under the sea, while kneeling.

She said she got a ‘massive correction’ when lying in frog which she then did and they said ‘good’

thats it!!!

she said everyone was about the same apart from one girl who was the ‘best she had ever seen’ 😂

There were so many girls - have zero expectations br we had a lovely lovely time!

GOOD LUCK

@Dancing unicorn hope it went well for you! 

xxx

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Dancing unicorn said:

Astrid - what a fabulous observant little dd you have! Which class was that 9.30? All I've  heard is that she really enjoyed it! Now the wait begins!! 😁

She has been re enacting it today 😂🙈She was in the 2pm class. There was a class after hers at 330. She is 7 (May birthday) and they all looked similar height. The class after they all seemed much smaller! So many talented little DDs. Golly it’s such a wait isn’t it..😬 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Creakingstool said:

Thanks @Astrid and your DD for that information. I'm feeling a little nervous for my girl for next Weds, it sounds like a really nice day though :)

Glad she had a great time, good luck :) its a long wait from these early auditions isn't it.

I was so nervous! DD was really nervous too. But everyone was lovely. The mums were lovely, the teachers, they all came out on cloud nine. It really is just a lovely day out. We went for sushi before and got a smoothie after..we have two other DCs so it was nice to just spend time with her for a bit 🙂

• Like 1

Here’s a question for more experienced ballet mums or teachers - what is the exercise where they lie on their fronts and have to sort of put their knees together and move their lower legs out to the side (if that makes sense)? Have never seen this before and wondered what it was for? they did it in DDs class. She hasn’t done it before either. 

Sorry to contradict, but froggie is the opposite, feet together and knees out. The movement Astrid is talking about is quite different. The dancer lies on their tummy, legs straight behind in parallel.  Bend one knee so the toes point to the ceiling or more, then allow the foot and lower leg fall out to the side, so in effect the leg is turned in. Repeat with other leg. It measures the looseness of the hip socket which indicates available turnout.

Edited by Pas de Quatre
Clarify
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Pas de Quatre said:

Sorry to contradict, but froggie is the opposite, feet together and knees out. The movement Astrid is talking about is quite different. The dancer lies on their tummy, legs straight behind in parallel.  Bend one knee so the toes point to the ceiling or more, then allow the foot and lower leg fall out to the side, so in effect the leg is turned in. Repeat with other leg. It measures the looseness of the hip socket which indicates available turnout.

Yes Pas de Quatre this was it - she said it was the ‘opposite of froggie’ 🙂 

11 hours ago, Pas de Quatre said:

Ah yes I misunderstood the original. Thanks 😁

Astrid - ah my little student was in 9.30 class for a yr 5 place, hopefully Manchester! We opted for Birmingham audition as Manchester one clashed with school exams and didn't think she would be allowed the time off 🤪

Good luck to all those still to audition 🍀🍀

• Like 1

On 05/05/2019 at 06:34, Pas de Quatre said:

Just out of interest, as I've never come across that movement before, how far would you expect the foot and lower leg to fall? I'm not intending to try it (!), just curious. 

• Like 1

My DD attended auditions today in Manchester, group 2 for a year 6 place.

There were about 18 girls in her group and I believe 3 groups in total today. Not sure if these are a mix of children auditioning for year 5 and 6, I think it must be as it says ages 9 and 10 today and then ages 8 and 9 tomorrow.

She really enjoyed the class, had a huge smile on her face when she came out and of course would love to get a place. Long wait for the results now :)

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Creakingstool said:

My DD attended auditions today in Manchester, group 2 for a year 6 place.

There were about 18 girls in her group and I believe 3 groups in total today. Not sure if these are a mix of children auditioning for year 5 and 6, I think it must be as it says ages 9 and 10 today and then ages 8 and 9 tomorrow.

She really enjoyed the class, had a huge smile on her face when she came out and of course would love to get a place. Long wait for the results now :)

Glad it went well creakingstool! 

On 08/05/2019 at 12:08, Waverley said:

Just out of interest, as I've never come across that movement before, how far would you expect the foot and lower leg to fall? I'm not intending to try it (!), just curious. 

Oh you should try it! 😆 Me and my husband and my father in law who was  round at the time all had a go 😂 turns out husband finds it hard to move it down very far at all, FIL goes about half way where as mine drops quite a way. It feels a bit weird! A new fascinating fact I have discovered about myself..DD found us all ‘embarrassing’ and refused to partake😅

• Like 1

Thanks Astrid for the details of the audition, it is very helpful. 😙 My daughter is Auditioning for year 4 at Bath on Thursday 23rd. She is not 8 until end of August so will be the absolute youngest. I was reading your post with her this morning and she was practising everything on your list! Anyone else on here going for Bath? They added an extra day of auditions because there are so many applicants!

• Like 1

Thank you Spamcat and Waverly. He doesn't think it went too well. We had to buy him new shorts and he said they kept riding up so he stopped a couple of times to sort them out in the middle of some moves. C'est la vie - he is already talking about next year 😊

Hello All,

I’m back (from last year - didn’t get a place)

DD auditioned today in Eastleigh, for a place in London.  I’m not nearly as worked up this time around. I know how slim the chances are. 

• Like 1

On 12/05/2019 at 11:53, Spamcat said:

Sorry I just read the first page and realised that Minxsmum and Twirkygirl are in Bath. We are on the extra day though, so the day after you.

Hi, sounds like there’s a lot of auditions in Bath this year! My DD is trying for year 6 place which I believe are few! Good luck to your daughter, hope she enjoys it, and remember your purse as they have a stall selling t-shirts etc! And there’s a lovely dance shop 5 mins away! 😊

• Like 1