Jump to content

Musical Theatre Schools with a strong ballet focus?


Ballet4Boyz
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 13/04/2019 at 11:23, Dd123 said:

Thank you so much for your advice and knowledge! . DD got to finals of two vocational schools but didn’t get a place... she is 16 but loves ballet so much - we are trying to think of ways to help her but I have always thought that 18 is probably too late ...

 

It would be worth speaking to KS Dance. They have a classical course for which there is still time to apply....

 

It's a small personal school with fantastic teaching....

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 year later...

Hi, I know this is quite an old thread but quite relevant and I would be grateful for advice. My DD is in Year 10, and was focused on applying for Upper schools later this year.  However, last year she had an injury which set her training back and time is therefore not on her side.  This, and her body maturing over this period, has made her reassess her options, and she is now strongly considering going the MT route.  She loves performing and in addition to dancing is a strong singer and actress too (Grade 7 Distinction MT singing & Lamda) but going the MT route is a whole new world for us.  Reading the thread, above it sounds like unlike ballet, most applications to MT colleges are at 18, so I was wondering in the interim what are the best options?  I see there are some vocational schools e.g. Hammond, Tring, ArtsEd but are there MT associate programmes or similar if she were to stay at her academic school for A levels?  I see lots of things like Stagecoach which aren't ability based, or holiday opportunities e.g. NYMT / BYMT, but nothing similar to the ballet school associate programmes - maybe I'm looking at the wrong places!  Any advice would be much appreciated!  Thanks so much!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi @Wimdancer the following places may be worth looking at for associate style programmes : Stagebox, Urdang Associates, Hammond Associates, West End Kids (I know a few children who have done their summer intensives), SLP, bbodance jazz scholars, Wilkes Academy Associate Programme, Performers Elite, Graeme Pickering associates, Denman Associates. I am sure there are lots I’ve missed but they are just ones kids I know have done or auditioned for. Hope that helps

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, Wimdancer said:

Hi, I know this is quite an old thread but quite relevant and I would be grateful for advice. My DD is in Year 10, and was focused on applying for Upper schools later this year.  However, last year she had an injury which set her training back and time is therefore not on her side.  This, and her body maturing over this period, has made her reassess her options, and she is now strongly considering going the MT route.  She loves performing and in addition to dancing is a strong singer and actress too (Grade 7 Distinction MT singing & Lamda) but going the MT route is a whole new world for us.  Reading the thread, above it sounds like unlike ballet, most applications to MT colleges are at 18, so I was wondering in the interim what are the best options?  I see there are some vocational schools e.g. Hammond, Tring, ArtsEd but are there MT associate programmes or similar if she were to stay at her academic school for A levels?  I see lots of things like Stagecoach which aren't ability based, or holiday opportunities e.g. NYMT / BYMT, but nothing similar to the ballet school associate programmes - maybe I'm looking at the wrong places!  Any advice would be much appreciated!  Thanks so much!

Thanks for opening up the thread again. My dd also in year 10 and looking at applying for upper school for next year, her preference being musical theatre.  She has done Denman Associates, Razzamataz, Performers Elite and summer schools at Hammond.  She currently attends Renaissance Scholars, which isnt musical theatre very much ballet and Jazz but absolutely loves it.  We made decision to stick to dance associates, alongside her dance school and then attend private singing lessons and she also attends LAMDA classes with her dance school to gain the best overall musical theatre training.  We are looking at places for upper school where she can do dance/musical theatre and also ALevels so I think we are limited to Tring and Hammond but if anyone knows of any others I would be grateful for the information.  I would also be interested in any other places that offer boarding for 16 year olds as the thought of her living on her own at 16 scares me!!    

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My DD is currently 2nd year at GSA ( Guildford School of Acting) doing Actor Muso degree. She went to local vocational 6th and did Extended Diploma in Performing Arts, it is the equivalent to 3 A levels and accepted by UCAS . This meant she had loads of options open to her, to her this was important. Although she had mainly focused on ballet and  thought that was the way she would go,she is incredibly musical (Grade 8 and GCSE music by the end of Yr 9) and realised she would miss playing her instruments.  She thought after a few weeks that MT would give her everything but then she discovered Actor Muso. If any of you have children who are “Triple Threat” ie they dance, act, sing and play an instrument or 2, I really recommend they look at this course. There are not many and they don’t take students without A levels or the equivalent but it is definitely the way MT is going. 

Happy to answer any questions. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I recommend Renaissance Arts.

My DS trained there , and having never danced previously , walked straight into employment upon his graduation.

If it’s good ballet training you’re after - Martin Howland is a fantastic teacher .

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Milzmam said:

Thanks for opening up the thread again. My dd also in year 10 and looking at applying for upper school for next year, her preference being musical theatre.  She has done Denman Associates, Razzamataz, Performers Elite and summer schools at Hammond.  She currently attends Renaissance Scholars, which isnt musical theatre very much ballet and Jazz but absolutely loves it.  We made decision to stick to dance associates, alongside her dance school and then attend private singing lessons and she also attends LAMDA classes with her dance school to gain the best overall musical theatre training.  We are looking at places for upper school where she can do dance/musical theatre and also ALevels so I think we are limited to Tring and Hammond but if anyone knows of any others I would be grateful for the information.  I would also be interested in any other places that offer boarding for 16 year olds as the thought of her living on her own at 16 scares me!!    

 
There is Arts Ed 6th Form but when we looked at it, it was very expensive (no Dada as it’s  not the Trinity Diploma). My child ended up at Hammond. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, tutugirl said:

I recommend Renaissance Arts.

My DS trained there , and having never danced previously , walked straight into employment upon his graduation.

If it’s good ballet training you’re after - Martin Howland is a fantastic teacher .

Could not agree more, my dd attends Renaissance Scholars and the training is very good. She loves her ballet classes with Mr Howland

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Jewel said:

 
There is Arts Ed 6th Form but when we looked at it, it was very expensive (no Dada as it’s  not the Trinity Diploma). My child ended up at Hammond. 

I thought the fees for 6th form at ArtEd were pretty much the same as 6th form at Hammond?  Also is there boarding at Hammond for 6th form and are the fees the same as lower school boarding?  Sorry for all the questions just looking at all the options

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Milzmam said:

I thought the fees for 6th form at ArtEd were pretty much the same as 6th form at Hammond?  Also is there boarding at Hammond for 6th form and are the fees the same as lower school boarding?  Sorry for all the questions just looking at all the options

 

Roughly about half to two thirds of the students on the Hammond Musical Theatre course have DaDa funding so the fees are dependent on family income.  Off the top of my head our fees were about £1,000 per term plus accommodation which was paid direct to her landlady.

 

My daughter stayed with  a landlady in her first two years then moved out into private, shared accommodation in her third year but as of last year Hammond moved all of their boarding accommodation and Seniors (Upper School) now have the option of Hammond exclusive self catering in the same building as Lower School.  I'm not sure what the current accommodation charge is, but I would imagine it is lower as it is self catering rather than full board.

 

At Arts Ed they have just one scholarship per year for Musical Theatre.  They also have an academic scholarship which be taken by anyone on either the dance, MT or music courses. I'm not entirely sure what the value of this scholarship is.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Jewel said:

 

Roughly about half to two thirds of the students on the Hammond Musical Theatre course have DaDa funding so the fees are dependent on family income.  Off the top of my head our fees were about £1,000 per term plus accommodation which was paid direct to her landlady.

 

My daughter stayed with  a landlady in her first two years then moved out into private, shared accommodation in her third year but as of last year Hammond moved all of their boarding accommodation and Seniors (Upper School) now have the option of Hammond exclusive self catering in the same building as Lower School.  I'm not sure what the current accommodation charge is, but I would imagine it is lower as it is self catering rather than full board.

 

At Arts Ed they have just one scholarship per year for Musical Theatre.  They also have an academic scholarship which be taken by anyone on either the dance, MT or music courses. I'm not entirely sure what the value of this scholarship is.

Thanks, that is really useful.  It is such a hard decision for them at such a young age but she is determined to go away for 6th form.  She was offered year 10 place at Hammond for this academic year but due to funding and covid she didnt go, Hammond is definately her first choice for 6th form but I want her to audition at other places aswell so she can get a good feel for different places but as she wants to do ALevels aswell we are limited.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Milzmam, have you looked at Tring Park’s 6th form? They’ve always had a good academic record and they do a 2 year Musical Theatre course as well as A Levels.  https://www.tringpark.com/curriculum/vocational-curriculum/musical-theatre-course

 

@Wimdancer, London Studio Centre runs associates up to the age of 18:  https://www.londonstudiocentre.org/courses/lsc-associates

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Anna C said:

@Milzmam, have you looked at Tring Park’s 6th form? They’ve always had a good academic record and they do a 2 year Musical Theatre course as well as A Levels.  https://www.tringpark.com/curriculum/vocational-curriculum/musical-theatre-course

 

@Wimdancer, London Studio Centre runs associates up to the age of 18:  https://www.londonstudiocentre.org/courses/lsc-associates

 

Thanks, yes we have looked at Tring and I think she is hopefully going to attend a couple of the holiday courses to see what she thinks of it before she needs to apply later this year.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Milzmam said:

Thanks, that is really useful.  It is such a hard decision for them at such a young age but she is determined to go away for 6th form.  She was offered year 10 place at Hammond for this academic year but due to funding and covid she didnt go, Hammond is definately her first choice for 6th form but I want her to audition at other places aswell so she can get a good feel for different places but as she wants to do ALevels aswell we are limited.

 
They definitely have more funded places for seniors than lower school. Still not enough to go around but it’s around 20 odd per year in seniors (it varies year to year but I think we were told there were 23 Dada’s offered in my daughters year. )

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Jewel said:

 
They definitely have more funded places for seniors than lower school. Still not enough to go around but it’s around 20 odd per year in seniors (it varies year to year but I think we were told there were 23 Dada’s offered in my daughters year. )

Can they get MDS at 16 or only Dada? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Milzmam said:

Can they get MDS at 16 or only Dada? 


Funding policies for 6th Form state it is a DaDA however I am sure someone on here in the past have said that their DC got an MDS.  Hopefully recipients can confirm either way.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Dancing Kitty said:


Funding policies for 6th Form state it is a DaDA however I am sure someone on here in the past have said that their DC got an MDS.  Hopefully recipients can confirm either way.

Thanks 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My reply about DaDa referred to Hammond. 
 

I believe that Tring do have some flexibility to offer MDS as well as DaDa at 6th form for their classical dancers on the Dance Course. It’s worth noting that the 2 year Tring Musical Theatre course doesn’t have DaDa funding although we were told they have I some internal scholarships. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If your DD wants to do A’levels with full time musical theatre training then it will be Tring - but only internal scholarships for that course (MDS - which my DS had for 6th form only given to the dancers course). The Hammond and Arts Ed.
 

I am not familiar with The Hammond only Tring and Arts Ed. Both Tring and Arts Ed offer a 2 year course with the intention you would go on to further study at degree level (although there is occasionally someone who goes straight into the industry - my DS friend went straight into Hamilton from Tring 6th form musical theatre course).  Arts Ed do not have boarding facilities like Tring do, it would be house share, home stay/host family etc. I believe at Arts it’s 2 A’levels and a BTECH to bring it to the equivalent of 3 A’levels. (I guess a very bright child could get an extra A’level in but I would imagine the timing would be tight) 

 

My younger DS is currently at Emil Dale on their Level 3 extended diploma musical theatre course.  He will come out with the equivalent of 3 A’levels. The standard of all 3 MT subjects is very high.  Their transition stats into degree courses is phenomenal.  Kids go onto train at Arts Ed, Mountview, GSA, Urdang, Bird some go on to do straight acting too. Our experience of the college is fantastic, I can’t rate them high enough - caring, thoughtful, have been amazing through the pandemic and fabulous teaching. Accommodation for BTECH is with a host family which EDA set up for you based on a questionnaire.  My DS loves his host family.  Fees are very reasonable as they get part of the course funded by the government. 
 

there are of course many fabulous training centres and many different ways to skin a cat.  Just keep your mind open to the possibilities and do what feels right for your child, everyone has their own experience and only you know what environment your child will thrive in. 
 

it’s a big decision but an exciting journey. Have fun with it all. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Harwel said:

If your DD wants to do A’levels with full time musical theatre training then it will be Tring - but only internal scholarships for that course (MDS - which my DS had for 6th form only given to the dancers course). The Hammond and Arts Ed.
 

I am not familiar with The Hammond only Tring and Arts Ed. Both Tring and Arts Ed offer a 2 year course with the intention you would go on to further study at degree level (although there is occasionally someone who goes straight into the industry - my DS friend went straight into Hamilton from Tring 6th form musical theatre course).  Arts Ed do not have boarding facilities like Tring do, it would be house share, home stay/host family etc. I believe at Arts it’s 2 A’levels and a BTECH to bring it to the equivalent of 3 A’levels. (I guess a very bright child could get an extra A’level in but I would imagine the timing would be tight) 

 

 

 

Hammond is different to Tring and Arts Ed for Musical Theatre in that it is the full 3 year Trinity Diploma (the same level the dancers at Tring study).  You study two A levels alongside that.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 24/02/2021 at 22:16, Jewel said:

My reply about DaDa referred to Hammond. 
 

I believe that Tring do have some flexibility to offer MDS as well as DaDa at 6th form for their classical dancers on the Dance Course. It’s worth noting that the 2 year Tring Musical Theatre course doesn’t have DaDa funding although we were told they have I some internal scholarships. 

You are correct. Tring do offer scholarships. For both 3yr US classical and 2yr MT course. My DD has friends on both courses. Whilst they aren’t eligible for a DaDa (geographical location) there were no such rules excluding them from applying (and being offered) for their scholarships. It’s a % of the fees rather than an actual set monetary amount.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 25/02/2021 at 14:51, Jewel said:

 

Hammond is different to Tring and Arts Ed for Musical Theatre in that it is the full 3 year Trinity Diploma (the same level the dancers at Tring study).  You study two A levels alongside that.  

Do they go straight from GCSE to Level 6 Trinity Diploma?  Is that not a big jump from GCSE to almost degree level, especially if studying for A Level alongside??  It is all so confusing, there seems to be so many courses out there for 16 years olds which vary from place to place and also vary in cost!  Is it better to do BTEC Extended diploma and then onto degree or try to go straight onto Trinity Diploma?? My brain hurts thinking about it all and so pleased we have started looking early.  Thank you in advance for any information xx

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Milzmam said:

Do they go straight from GCSE to Level 6 Trinity Diploma?  Is that not a big jump from GCSE to almost degree level, especially if studying for A Level alongside??  It is all so confusing, there seems to be so many courses out there for 16 years olds which vary from place to place and also vary in cost!  Is it better to do BTEC Extended diploma and then onto degree or try to go straight onto Trinity Diploma?? My brain hurts thinking about it all and so pleased we have started looking early.  Thank you in advance for any information xx

Just my personal opinion but with MT there is really no need to go from GCSE to level 6 diploma unless you are completely  certain that’s what you want to do. 

Something that often gets overlooked is that the whole uni experience at 16 will be very different to those going at 18 (social life and learning to live independently). 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Milzmam said:

Do they go straight from GCSE to Level 6 Trinity Diploma?  Is that not a big jump from GCSE to almost degree level, especially if studying for A Level alongside??  It is all so confusing, there seems to be so many courses out there for 16 years olds which vary from place to place and also vary in cost!  Is it better to do BTEC Extended diploma and then onto degree or try to go straight onto Trinity Diploma?? My brain hurts thinking about it all and so pleased we have started looking early.  Thank you in advance for any information xx


Going from gcses to L6 diploma/BA degree is the usual route for vocational dance students. There are more options for MT. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...