Guessing the future...

2 hours ago, alison said:

Well, I'm assuming that Swan Lake is a dead cert - and possibly a similar number of performances to the current run of Romeos? :(  In which case I hope it's interspersed with something else to break things up a bit.

I’d better not repeat my educated guess again or I’ll get the chop as well, but I guess that they might rest Swan Lake and bring back Sleeping Beauty...but I'm in the dark re the triple act MacMillan rota...are we back to Manon again? Anyway just over a fortnight away...

9 hours ago, Lizbie1 said:

In particular I can’t wait to find out whether the four “large scale” operas inspired by the writings of Slavoj Zizek will appear on schedule in 2020.

(I’m not joking, this was announced with some fanfare in 2013: https://www.roh.org.uk/news/royal-opera-announces-new-work-and-relationships-for-2013-2020.)

I can barely contain my excitement, Lizzie, at the prospect of a whole season of inspired navel-gazing. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Darlex said:

I have a feeling that we all realise this to be the case. It feels like a very poor offering, especially when you consider the Berstein tribute last year. I believe that the new season is opening with a full length ballet never danced by Fonteyn. Holding out against hope that there will be a Fonteyn triple in the Autumn, but really doubt it. 

Not necessarily linked to this speculation, but  out of interest did Fonteyn ever dance Lise in La Fille Mal Gardée? I couldn't find  any such performance on  her Wikipedia list, which I find quite surprising. 

8 hours ago, Vanartus said:

I guess that they might rest Swan Lake and bring back Sleeping Beauty...

Do you think so?  I was assuming they'd be really keen to get some more return on their investment.  But who knows - perhaps we'll get both - might help to make up the shortfall from this season a bit.  Personally, at the moment I'd rather have Beauty.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

Not necessarily linked to this speculation, but  out of interest did Fonteyn ever dance Lise in La Fille Mal Gardée? I couldn't find  any such performance on  her Wikipedia list, which I find quite surprising. 

Fonteyn never danced Lise. The role was made on Nadia Nerina and drew on her notably strong elevation - quite possibly a reason why certain principal dancers have never danced the role. Fonteyn had turned 40 by the time of the premiere - an age anyway where a dancers' jump decreases. 

13 hours ago, RuthE said:

As an opera follower at ROH I actually had had no idea that Pappano wasn’t around next season, though I know that had he not been renewing his contract, next season would have been his last.

Sorry I got ahead of things, Pappano’s sabbatical season is 2020/21.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

From an interview with Jasper Conran in Tatler about his Golden Hour costumes (https://www.tatler.com/article/jasper-conran-designs-golden-costumes-for-royal-ballet)

It’s Conran’s first time working with Christopher Wheeldon – after this production, the life cycle of the costumes will hopefully go on. After all, Conran reveals, ‘there’s a piece that I did for the royal ballet 25 years ago that is returning next year.’ Let's hope that the same applies for these.

Could that be Tombeaux? Does anything else fit?

Edited by Lizbie1
Link tidied
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Lizbie1 said:

From an interview with Jasper Conran in Tatler about his Golden Hour costumes (https://www.tatler.com/article/jasper-conran-designs-golden-costumes-for-royal-ballet)

It’s Conran’s first time working with Christopher Wheeldon – after this production, the life cycle of the costumes will hopefully go on. After all, Conran reveals, ‘there’s a piece that I did for the royal ballet 25 years ago that is returning next year.’ Let's hope that the same applies for these.

This archived biography from the BRB website only mentions Tombeaux in respect of RB.  I love Tombeaux!!

https://www.brb.org.uk/profile/jasper-conran

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lizbie1 said:

Hoorah! I loved Tombeaux. It would be nice opening a programme with The King Dances or new Bintley and finishing with Still Life at the Penguin Cafe. I hope that Hayward and O'Sullivan get to dance the Durante role, possibly Morera and Lamb too, and I would be happy to see either McRae, Campbell, Sambé, Hay and Corrales dance the Sansom role. I think Cuthbertson and Bonelli danced it last time around in 2005.

Edited by Darlex

I’ve just received an invite for a preview of the Royal Opera House’s new season for 21 May (evening ) so I think we’re going to have to wait until around then to find out what’s planned.  I’m not in London that day so I’ll just have to be patient.

1 hour ago, JohnS said:

I’ve just received an invite for a preview of the Royal Opera House’s new season for 21 May (evening ) so I think we’re going to have to wait until around then to find out what’s planned.  I’m not in London that day so I’ll just have to be patient.

The season announcement is on 14 May, so you don't have to wait for the preview to find out.

• Like 4

Many thanks bangorballetboy - I thought I’d read something about 14 May (perhaps from you in an earlier post?).  Seems a bit odd having a preview a week after the Season’s programme has been announced but I’ll look forward with great interest to 14 May.

Whereas of course now there are absolutely no leaks ;) 

Personally, I'd be pretty happy if KO'H repeated more or less all the productions I was unfortunate enough to miss in 2017 :)  - I could hardly have picked a worse season to miss :(  

4 hours ago, bangorballetboy said:

The preview used to be the night before the press announcement but they stopped that as there were too many leaks.

The timing of the so-called preview is dependent on many factors and, last year, the ROH again held it on the evening before the Press Conference. I was not aware of a sudden burst pipe overnight but there had been the usual amount of seepage up to that point.