urdang finals

ebony

Dd now has offers from urdang and performers and is struggling to choose. Anyone have any experience with these 2 schools that they can share with her please? And also who is going to be starting in sept?

Congratulations to your DD.

Does your DD have an idea which part of the dance industry she most wants to go into? Have you had chance to see where the graduates from both schools end up working and how soon after graduation they gain employment? X

• Like 1

She really loves jazz and tap.  She loved the jazz class at urdang but not the one at performers. Shes looked at the graduate destinations and written down pros and cons for both schools and is still undecided. The deadline to handover one dada is looming too!

Hi Ebony - Congratulations to your daughter on her offers and DaDas 😀. My daughter also auditioned at Urdang and Performers and she also loved the jazz style at Urdang . She has a place on the degree course at Urdang and is still waiting to hear re degree at Performers . I think ‘ Pictures’ is right  and gut feel is important .. My daughter also preferred the local area at Urdang and it is certainly easier to travel to for us ( we are in the North West) so that might be worth considering . That said , my daughter is currently feeling a little nervous about moving to London knowing no-one 🙄 ... It certainly is a big step ! Good luck to your Daughter with her decision .. and if she decides Urdang is for her then maybe we could put our daughters in touch ? 😀 x

thank you, we are in the north west too, so urdang is definitely easier to travel to for us too! the trek to performers isn't one that i'm looking forward to if i'm honest, but if its her choice, then we'll have to do it. she is a bit nervous about living in london aged just 16 and so am i. how old is your daughter littleone?

I would also consider what the living options at both places consist of. I think that getting that right has a huge impact on how a young person settles and copes with life. From personal experience, I would prefer the option that made life easiest in respect of location, facilities (cooking, washing, drying,) plus closeness to college, ease of getting home etc,  as other pressures are high and if these things don’t work easily, it adds another layer of stress. I’d also review the pastoral support offered by each institution and consider how I felt each place would care for my away from home 16 year old. Good luck! 

Edited by Karen
Edited for typo
  • Like 2

I completely agree Karen . Admittedly I haven't looked into accommodation at Performers .... but I believe its mostly private houses' flats locally . It certainly seems that that is the case for Urdang with the addition of some Student Accommodation  non specific to Urdang in the area. Although Urdang is in London transport links mean my daughter could be home in approx 2 hours should she wish to ..which is v reassuring ! 

Littleone, the transport has been my main concern re performers. it was a 5hour journey on two trains as well as the underground,.  we would be in panic mode about her making this journey alone.

• Like 1

Hello. Can I just add, that if your DD's are going to be occasionally coming home for the odd weekend, it might be a good idea to factor in the cost of coaches or trains to London and also to wherever in Essex Performers is. If they feel like coming home for a few days but are unable to afford it because of distance this might be an issue. Don't know if parents would drive there to collect them. I used to get the National Express coach from London ( I was at Urdang) home to Manchester and then back to London that way occasionally. But I wouldn't have been able to afford it that often.

• Like 2