Physio exam for 6th form entry

Jellybeans

As Rambert doesn't have a second audition they ask a few dancers to stay behind for the physio exam. Generally in all physio exams it is to check there is no reason the student would not be suitable for intensive training. As an example, at the two extremes, excessive tightness or hypermobility, both of which can present problems.

thank you for all the quick replies!

Do I take it that if you don't get called for a physio at Rambert you are unlikely to be offered a place? I know that one of the schools operates in a similar way for lower school auditions.

Edited to make more accurate

Edited by Jellybeans

As Rambert doesn't have a second audition they ask a few dancers to stay behind for the physio exam. Generally in all physio exams it is to check there is no reason the student would not be suitable for intensive training. As an example, at the two extremes, excessive tightness or hypermobility, both of which can present problems.

What degree of hypermobility would rule out a place, do you know? I thought hypermobile joints were common in dancers?

The degree of acceptable hypermobility will be decided by the school and measured by the physio using the Beighton scale. Yes it can give a very desirable line in classical ballet, but such dancers can be more prone to injury.

http://www.trinityla...ingle_pages.pdf

This link is to a report by Laban Dance Science dept which is also applicable to Classical dancers.

• Like 1

The degree of acceptable hypermobility will be decided by the school and measured by the physio using the Beighton scale. Yes it can give a very desirable line in classical ballet, but such dancers can be more prone to injury.

http://www.trinityla...ingle_pages.pdf

This link is to a report by Laban Dance Science dept which is also applicable to Classical dancers.

Thanks PdQ, that's a very interesting report. I notice that they seemed to be testing for Joint Hypermobility Syndrome as opposed to some hypermobility in some joints, if that makes sense.

I'm assuming some hypermobility in one or two joints is acceptable, particularly if the student has worked hard at strengthening the surrounding tissues?

The only school I was ever present during a physio was at the final audition for Central school of ballet. The physio took place before the final audition, so I just happened to be sat in the corridor waiting with my dd when the physio asked if I would like to come in and watch.

Edited to correct my awful grammar.

Edited by primrose
  • Like 1