Royal Ballet Mid Associates

GBC

On 19/04/2020 at 13:36, dancefanatic said:

Mids in Bath always used to be afternoons, JA2 the only class that switched around. 

Thank you, we will be travelling up from Exeter so afternoon would be good! Take care

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Really surprised haven’t heard much from people being offered places from swl. They don’t seem to want to offer any information which they normally would. 
mom also disappointed in them, that they’re only offering pre recorded videos for the associates and not zoom classes like central school of ballet. 
much harder to get them motivated for pre records and also don’t get the full class or any corrections. Really disappointing for my dad to end her royal journey like this. Not even any word of trying to arrange a class once this is over maybe as at least a last class to say goodbye to teacher and friends. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, DanceMum83 said:

Really surprised haven’t heard much from people being offered places from swl. They don’t seem to want to offer any information which they normally would. 
mom also disappointed in them, that they’re only offering pre recorded videos for the associates and not zoom classes like central school of ballet. 
much harder to get them motivated for pre records and also don’t get the full class or any corrections. Really disappointing for my dad to end her royal journey like this. Not even any word of trying to arrange a class once this is over maybe as at least a last class to say goodbye to teacher and friends. 

Your post came up in my email. I was going to comment as a mum to an MA student.

I too am very disappointed with offerings from RBS for their Associate students. I will give feedback to them, but it will fall on ears that do not need to listen to feedback such as mine.

The pre-recorded lessons in my humble opinion are less than motivating and in my son’s words ‘lame,’

Didn’t even manage their regular teacher, who hasn’t been in contact either apart from one email via admin at the beginning of lockdown.

All other Associate classes are virtual via Zoom, including my son’s pre-voc classes from the London Russian School of Classical Ballet. Very impressed range of barre and Pilates at a massively reduced rate, with the regular class teacher.

I wonder if WL vocational students are receiving pre-recorded classes, of course they aren’t.

MA’s has not lived up to my son’s expectations at all, and their offerings atm have reinforced his unhappiness with the program.

He is considering not returning to Y8 boys. 

He has an offer from Elmhurst for Y8, but is unsure if he will take it.

He has found that for him there is much better elsewhere in his other Associate classes. Who knew!!

It is a shame as his one year Y6 experience of JA’s was just amazing. Faultless, with an outstanding teacher.

if my post contravenes any forum guidelines apologies in advance and please remove or edit.

This is mine and my son’s personal experience and opinion. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Motomum said:

Your post came up in my email. I was going to comment as a mum to an MA student.

I too am very disappointed with offerings from RBS for their Associate students. I will give feedback to them, but it will fall on ears that do not need to listen to feedback such as mine.

The pre-recorded lessons in my humble opinion are less than motivating and in my son’s words ‘lame,’

Didn’t even manage their regular teacher, who hasn’t been in contact either apart from one email via admin at the beginning of lockdown.

All other Associate classes are virtual via Zoom, including my son’s pre-voc classes from the London Russian School of Classical Ballet. Very impressed range of barre and Pilates at a massively reduced rate, with the regular class teacher.

I wonder if WL vocational students are receiving pre-recorded classes, of course they aren’t.

MA’s has not lived up to my son’s expectations at all, and their offerings atm have reinforced his unhappiness with the program.

He is considering not returning to Y8 boys. 

He has an offer from Elmhurst for Y8, but is unsure if he will take it.

He has found that for him there is much better elsewhere in his other Associate classes. Who knew!!

It is a shame as his one year Y6 experience of JA’s was just amazing. Faultless, with an outstanding teacher.

if my post contravenes any forum guidelines apologies in advance and please remove or edit.

This is mine and my son’s personal experience and opinion. 

The year 6 JA classes have been just as poor. My dd hates doing them, and if it wasnt for the fact that I am still expected to pay 50% fees for them, she wouldn't be bothering. Still also waiting for the refund from missed classes too. If this weeks lesson is just as uninspiring then I will be sending an email too. On the other hand her local dance school is going above and beyond, and every class is a Zoom class with personal corrections still. I am so disappointed in RBS, but not in any way surprised tbh.

@sunrise81 I was that parent completely captivated by everything RBS when my son auditioned for the first time and got a Y6 JA place and then MA’s.

I am not at all impressed by RBS anymore, for me it was a very quick fall from grace.

I realise now that the name and upholding the brand (as it was referred to in my son’s WL audition) can sometimes be much more important than the sum of it’s parts.  ☹️ 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Motomum said:

@sunrise81 I was that parent completely captivated by everything RBS when my son auditioned for the first time and got a Y6 JA place and then MA’s.

I am not at all impressed by RBS anymore, for me it was a very quick fall from grace.

I realise now that the name and upholding the brand (as it was referred to in my son’s WL audition) can sometimes be much more important than the sum of it’s parts.  ☹️ 

That's what they basically said at my DDs WL final too. You have to fit in with the school image. We have done JAs for the 3 years, and I have to say that I am glad she is off to Elmhurst! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sunrise81 said:

That's what they basically said at my DDs WL final too. You have to fit in with the school image. We have done JAs for the 3 years, and I have to say that I am glad she is off to Elmhurst! 

That’s fantastic news for your daughter! Well done her.

im keeping my fingers crossed that my son will take up his Y7/Y8 offer from Elmhurst. He got offered it after his Prelim in January. Was offered to start after Easter by the AD, but C-19 happened.

If not he will I think go full-time non-res with his Russian Associate  pre-vocational program which he absolutely loves.

He is all anti ballet atm, but it is a weird time. So 🤞🏻🤞🏻he changed by September.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DanceMum83 said:

We have received a MA place today from the SWL! DD is so happy especially after the disappointment of not getting a full time place! Just to add about online classes, Elmhurst young dancers haven't offered anything at all in terms of online classes! Not even pre recorded! So it's not just RB...

• Like 1

Having a DD in Y11 at Elmhurst and the other a Y5 young dancer there, I know they have very few teachers able to actually offer the vocational children dance lessons in the week so those that are teaching are doing all year groups. I personally feel asking them to also take on the associates classes on the weekends is too much as they need a rest plus associates classes are often larger. So I am not upset that my younger DD has no classes other than her standard home ones. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, DanceMum83 said:

18 hours ago, sunrise81 said:

The year 6 JA classes have been just as poor. My dd hates doing them, and if it wasnt for the fact that I am still expected to pay 50% fees for them, she wouldn't be bothering. Still also waiting for the refund from missed classes too. If this weeks lesson is just as uninspiring then I will be sending an email too. On the other hand her local dance school is going above and beyond, and every class is a Zoom class with personal corrections still. I am so disappointed in RBS, but not in any way surprised tbh.

Yes. Agree. Charging 50% fees for pre recorded class once a week, that is less than inspiring doesn't feel like value for money. No interaction or corrections. May as well do a free online ballet class being offered by so many ballet establishments at the moment. If they were sending them out free then I could understand but to charge 50% fees for this feels like a rip off. Not impressed with the offering from RBS for associates in this time.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/05/2020 at 07:31, KeepDancing!! said:

Yes. Agree. Charging 50% fees for pre recorded class once a week, that is less than inspiring doesn't feel like value for money. No interaction or corrections. May as well do a free online ballet class being offered by so many ballet establishments at the moment. If they were sending them out free then I could understand but to charge 50% fees for this feels like a rip off. Not impressed with the offering from RBS for associates in this time.

I have sent them an email this morning about these lessons. She doesnt do them......they are boring she says. In the meantime David Nixon says I dont need to make any payments for her CAT lessons. I will see what they say? But her RBS teacher can have a Zoom catch up with them......why not teach a lesson?

Edited by sunrise81
  • Like 4

On 06/05/2020 at 20:26, busydanceparent said:

We have received a MA place today from the SWL! DD is so happy especially after the disappointment of not getting a full time place! Just to add about online classes, Elmhurst young dancers haven't offered anything at all in terms of online classes! Not even pre recorded! So it's not just RB...

Massive congrats to your child. Which venue and what age is she? A friend of mine still hasn't heard anything and has given up hope!

On 07/05/2020 at 07:31, KeepDancing!! said:

My daughter is really enjoying the emailed lessons and I think they have improved over the weeks. Each one has a real focus and they are clearly talking through technique and referring back to what they do in class.  Obviously it’s not perfect but it’s a pretty good solution in this difficult situation.

On 24/05/2020 at 15:54, BattementBatty said:

My daughter is really enjoying the emailed lessons and I think they have improved over the weeks. Each one has a real focus and they are clearly talking through technique and referring back to what they do in class.  Obviously it’s not perfect but it’s a pretty good solution in this difficult situation.

Glad your dd is enjoying them. Unfortunately they are totally uninspiring for my DD. She hasn't done any of them and is instead doing a proper zoom class every saturday with her teacher outside associates.

On 29/05/2020 at 08:21, KeepDancing!! said:

Glad your dd is enjoying them. Unfortunately they are totally uninspiring for my DD. She hasn't done any of them and is instead doing a proper zoom class every saturday with her teacher outside associates.

She is still doing proper zoom classes with her normal teacher as well and has done some EYB ones and a couple through dance devotion. The associate classes are a supplement to her usual lessons rather than to replace them and I think it is nice that they refer specifically to some of the things that are done specifically in their JA lessons. I wasn’t expecting anything so I think it’s a bonus they have them. 

• 1 year later...