Royal Ballet Mid Associates

GBC

My dd is an MA and was a JA. The children offered mids places in her year were the JAs that got white lodge finals but didn’t get a place at white lodge. There were more of those than places at MAs so not all at finals were offered MAs sadly. There was also a girl that had never been a JA that got to white lodge finals that started straight as an MA and she had no problems fitting in at all. So I would say mids is harder to get a place than JAs but certainly it is not only open to those children who are JAs, they take who they want and who they’ve seen. Perhaps when applying for mids it’s an idea to put down applying for white lodge too (as it’s the same audition anyway) as most MAs that I know of got to white lodge finals. That was what was recommended to the JAs, even if they didn’t want to go off to vocational school xxx 

• Like 1

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Balletmum55 said:

My dd is an MA and was a JA. The children offered mids places in her year were the JAs that got white lodge finals but didn’t get a place at white lodge. There were more of those than places at MAs so not all at finals were offered MAs sadly. There was also a girl that had never been a JA that got to white lodge finals that started straight as an MA and she had no problems fitting in at all. So I would say mids is harder to get a place than JAs but certainly it is not only open to those children who are JAs, they take who they want and who they’ve seen. Perhaps when applying for mids it’s an idea to put down applying for white lodge too (as it’s the same audition anyway) as most MAs that I know of got to white lodge finals. That was what was recommended to the JAs, even if they didn’t want to go off to vocational school xxx 

@Balletmum55 my child was a Y6 JA, but didn’t want WL. I was told by his JA teacher to put down for WL because this meant that if my child got to the final which they did they were much more likely to get an MA offer which they did.

All the 4 boy MA places went to existing JA’s who had all also been in the final.

• Like 1

I know two girls offered MA after attending WL finals - who were never JAs. They both however were SWL for year 6 JA so were on the RBS radar. 

I also know several JAs who didn’t get to WL finals or offered a MA place.

I don’t think anything is ever set in stone. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Mummy2BalletFairies said:

DD has just applied for year 6 JA place after a no for Year5 and a wait list for WL SI. Anticipating a no, but having seen so much improvement in her over the past year, I'm just after advice about RBS MA's for Year 7. I realise the number of centres reduces but does this mean it's harder to gain a place or is there a natural attention rate with children not pursuing dance as keenly? Do most MA places go to RBS JA's? Does anybody have a child who joined MAs without being a JA who has a view on this? TIA x

Do whatever you think is best for your DC.

Our DC was a JA, an MA and is soon to start SAs.

Children joined MAs without being JAs and we know someone who has recently been offered SAs but was never offered a JA or MA place.

My point is that there are lots of opportunities and don’t ever let not having been an Associate with RBS at whatever level prevent your DC from auditioning.

We also know of two children who have gone to WL but were never JAs 

go for it!

• 3 weeks later...
On 16/05/2019 at 15:11, Dancer123 said:

Congratulations Swanilda! Glad someone got good news. Do we think that’s it for movement? We were hoping Year 8 London but guess if current Mids all assessed to stay on is there even any year 8 places??

Thank you, I am sure there will be more movement.

I understand that the MA1 class is year7 and 8 girls, MA2 is year8 and 9.  There are about 16 girls in each class.

There should be places for year8 students too. If year7 girls were (theoretically ) half of MA1 group, it looks like year8 cohort might be the largest.  I don’t know the exact split and don’t know for sure how progression between MA1 and MA2 works in reality.

SWL is open until 1 October.  It is worth to call RBS Associates office to check on the status.

Good luck to your DDs! Waiting is very hard.

18 minutes ago, Dancer123 said:

I did email and everyone has accepted their places so I guess that’s it for this year!!!!! 

We initially accepted a place, and then decided that boarding was something we could cope with so then withdrew our acceptance. RBS were absolutely lovely about it, and our place was offered to someone on the waiting list. Don’t uncross any fingers yet! Hoping that similar happens for someone this year.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a glimmer of hope for everyone on SWL, we received the ‘Royal’ phone call yesterday and my DD has been offered a Mids place from SWL, we are all absolutely over the moon and DD is as high as a kite. So there is still some movement happening, fingers crossed for everyone else still waiting 🤞🏻

• Like 8

On 05/07/2019 at 09:31, Starshine said:

Just a glimmer of hope for everyone on SWL, we received the ‘Royal’ phone call yesterday and my DD has been offered a Mids place from SWL, we are all absolutely over the moon and DD is as high as a kite. So there is still some movement happening, fingers crossed for everyone else still waiting 🤞🏻

Congratulations,can I ask what centre you have been offered please x Enjoy your Royal journey - Very special xx

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/07/2019 at 09:31, Starshine said:

Fantastic news! Congratulations - how exciting to get the phonecall! :) 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I’ve just advised RBS that my dd won’t be continuing as a year 9 MA in Birmingham.  My dd has been a JA and MA for the past 4 years and has loved it and all the opportunities she has been lucky enough to have on top, from dancing with BRB in the Nutcracker to attending WL spring and summer intensives over the years.  However, she has taken the very hard decision not to continue into year 9 due to various reasons and she would rather some other young dancer have the opportunity. 

I believe they took very few year 7 MAs in Birmingham this year so hopefully someone’s DC off the forum will get a place xxx 

Good luck, and if you’re offered it, grasp it. It’s been nothing short of wonderful x x 

Edited by Balletmum55
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, For the love of Grace said:

Aww good luck to your DD it must have been a very hard decision! We are on the SWL for Manchester Mids but not holding our breath! Xx

Thank you, and yes it really was xx 

Good luck for Manchester! As this shows, you never know when places come available Xxx 

Edited by Balletmum55
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 30/05/2019 at 11:13, Aurora in waiting said:

Hi yes my DD did she wasn’t a JA but offered a MA place from waiting list. Don’t loose faith xx🤞 good luck to your dd 

Hi Can I ask how long after the initial no and being out on swl was it until you got offered a place? 

2 hours ago, Aurora in waiting said:

Hi she got her initial no around April time then was offered her place in the September. 👍

That’s positive news. After hearing that the deadline to accept was 31st March I was thinking the places for those on SWL would most likely have been offered by now. I was also assuming that because the school is closed now for Easter, any offers are unlikely to come over the next couple of weeks?

• 2 weeks later...

I think there can often be movement from wait lists right up to & even in first few weeks of term.... eg. you do get occasional places at full time vocational schools come up at start of term....which then may mean a reserve list then gets an offer of full time which in turn could make an associate place free up....

On occasion, some change their mind about joining/boarding etc, a very occasional one may drop out of full time voc or of associate scheme after they start too for individual reasons so you just never can tell! 

• 2 weeks later...