Central accommodation upper school

skippysheep

On 04/04/2021 at 20:53, Ballet parent said:

Hi everyone. I am new here, although have visited the forum a few times over the last few months and found the comments very helpful.  My DD is a Central associate and has an offer for Central full time for Sept 21 too. She is keen to be with other Central students so we have booked a visit to Drapery Place and Walmsley Studios as these are mentioned in this thread. She would also consider private rental with one or two other girls as this seems significantly cheaper.  If anyone else's DC is definitely going to accept a place in Sept it would be really good to hear from you - as DD doesn't know of anyone yet.  

Hi. I’m new to the forum too. Dd has been offered a place at Central and doesn’t know anyone at all as she wasn’t an associate. We are also looking for accommodation that doesn’t cost an arm and a leg! She would consider rental if it is feasible or if anyone has any leads on home stay even?

On 13/04/2021 at 08:57, dancingboy65 said:

My DS is a first year and he lives at Surrey Quays Landale House (Homes for Students) This will be two stops on the Jubilee Line to the new place and it's less than 5 minutes walk to the tube station. At the moment it's around 35 to 45 minutes (tube and walk to Clerkenwell. Rooms are a decent size and they a few different sizes to choose from including ensuite. Big shopping centre 5 minutes walk away. 

Hello. Do you know if there are others from Central there? Looking for my Dd. Do you know if the accommodation in flats and if you need to book with friends?

Thanks.

8 hours ago, Hopefulmom said:

Hello. Do you know if there are others from Central there? Looking for my Dd. Do you know if the accommodation in flats and if you need to book with friends?

Thanks.

Hello, there are only a couple from Central at Landale, I only spotted it when I was searching for accommodation that was more affordable for us. You can share with friends if you book it with them. The flats are rooms with a shared kitchen and bathroom (there are some ensuite). It's two stops from the new studios Paris Gardens on the tube. 

Thanks for answering. Dd doesn’t  know anyone to share with. I guess that means she would have to share with people she doesn’t know. Does it seem like a safe area?
The contracts they have on line are for the whole year and start a week late. Do you know if that’s normal or just because other contracts have gone? It seems that once we’re  committed we have to stay the whole time so I’m just trying to be sure!

Thanks

3 minutes ago, Hopefulmom said:

Thanks for answering. Dd doesn’t  know anyone to share with. I guess that means she would have to share with people she doesn’t know. Does it seem like a safe area?
The contracts they have on line are for the whole year and start a week late. Do you know if that’s normal or just because other contracts have gone? It seems that once we’re  committed we have to stay the whole time so I’m just trying to be sure!

Thanks

DS didn't know anyone either and had a flat share with some older students from different universities. They've been really supportive and friendly. I contacted Landale about the dates of the contract being later than Centrals start date and they just added it on at the beginning. DS has felt safe there, it's a gated property access by key fob (gate and building). Rotherhite has the same problems as the rest of the London boroughs they just have to be sensible. Hope this helps!

1 hour ago, dancingboy65 said:

DS didn't know anyone either and had a flat share with some older students from different universities. They've been really supportive and friendly. I contacted Landale about the dates of the contract being later than Centrals start date and they just added it on at the beginning. DS has felt safe there, it's a gated property access by key fob (gate and building). Rotherhite has the same problems as the rest of the London boroughs they just have to be sensible. Hope this helps!

Thanks. Did you manage to get less than 51 weeks? Also wondering if your son is going back. At least knowing one person there might help!

9 minutes ago, Hopefulmom said:

Thanks. Did you manage to get less than 51 weeks? Also wondering if your son is going back. At least knowing one person there might help!

No we did the 51 weeks, it turned out cheaper than 39 weeks option at other places. DS is hopefully flat sharing from September, have you seen if there's an Instagram/WhatsApp for this years students you might get an idea where people are staying? 

On 13/04/2021 at 08:45, Love-dance said:

I went to look at some of them.  I am basing this on Central's current premises in Clerkenwell as I don't think they will move yet... although I really wish they will.

Walmsley is smaller and therefore felt they would be looked after more.  It is 5 minutes away from studios. Looked at 1 person, basic and mid rooms. There is a very small difference but not noticeable on sizes between basic and mid.  The lady said if they are in first year then these sizes are fine as delux/gold are too much as they dont stay in much. My DD didn't like the bathroom as extremely small, like a caravan, all plastic where things would get wet.  Very friendly and clean.

Drapery Place formerly Plaza.... again by Unite.  A lot bigger place overall.  Saw single rooms and they are a bit bigger with table for food and table for working. Bathroom much better also. However its 45 minute walk and they do have long days at Central. Tube we didn't do as walked, but tube would be Farringdon to Aldgate East, 3 stops, 8/9 minutes plus a little walking time. Again friendly and clean.

Paris Gardens.  Saw this but didn't go in as they emailed to say they are not taking bookings for 2021/22 due to refurbishment.  Looks nice, a quiet area and only 25 minute walk.

My DD prefers Drapery but I would like to see if there's anything closer. Hope this helps specially if you live outside UK.... would be interested in other people's thoughts and places. 

I visited the Paris Gardens site and explored various accommodation options yesterday. My thoughts in case helpful to others:

Paris Gardens

Spoke to builders at Central's new premises and they thought they were on course to complete by September (or thereabouts). Next to the new premises is 'iQ Student Accommodation Paris Gardens'. They aren't booking for 2021/22 as they are going to close for the year for refurbishments. They are directing students to 'iQ Student Accommodation Bankside' which is a 10 min walk from the new premises - but prices start at £400 a week!!

Homes for Students Surrey Quays Landale House

Most rooms are not en-suite. We saw a flat of 5 bedrooms with one separate loo (no sink) and one small shower room with sink. The kitchen was small with seating for two at a breakfast bar.  We were quoted £193/199 a week.  Three stops on the Jubilee Line from Paris Gardens.

Unite Students - Drapery Place (formerly Drapery Plaza and, before that, Liberty Plaza)

Popular with existing Central students - they currently occupy four flats. The flat we saw had 6 ensuite rooms plus a shared kitchen with a table and 6 chairs and a corner sofa and TV.  Fixtures and fittings were high spec and the place was very clean.  There is a gym, a large dance studio and a laundry room with multiple machines - looked like they were brand new.  Five stops on District Line to Blackfriars, then a short walk over Blackfriars Bridge to Paris Gardens.  We were quoted £303 a week.

Unite Students - Walmsley Studios (formerly Liberty House)

Grade 2 listed building.  Rooms are all studios - each with own small kitchen.  As with Drapery Place, the fixtures and fittings were high spec and it was spotlessly clean.  A small gym and small laundry room - 3 machines only.  Two stops on Thameslink from Farringdon to Blackfriars, then a short walk over Blackfriars Bridge to Paris Gardens. We were quoted £320 a week.

We have decided on Drapery Place for our DD - she loved it and we want her to be able to cook with and have the company of other Central students in the evenings and at weekends so that she isn't too isolated.  Ideally it would be good if we could make a group booking with other students - so please PM me if your DC is interested.  Otherwise, individual bookings can be made and Drapery Place will then put your DC with other Central students of the same age if you ask them to (but this presupposes others go ahead and book too).  I'm happy to answer any questions about the accommodation - we visited yesterday.

Hi everyone, 

We have booked a twin studio for our DS at Drapery Place - he starts at Central in September. 
There is still a vacancy in his studio which is a twin room with their own en-suite shower room and kitchenette for £255 a week for 51 weeks. 
If anyone with a DS who wishes to share - feel free to DM me and I can pass on his booking details. 
Our DS likes to have fun but also likes his rest/sleep and is fairly tidy .... he’s not bad at cooking either - so would be great to find a like-minded roommate. 
I believe Drapery places all their Central students in the same area ! 😊

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Love-dance said:

Going to set up a WhatsApp group for us parents of students starting at Central 2021. I still find this difficult to explore..... Please message me your number or email so I can add you, if you wish.    

Thanks Love-dance.  I have sent a PM.

13 hours ago, Love-dance said:

Going to set up a WhatsApp group for us parents of students starting at Central 2021. I still find this difficult to explore..... Please message me your number or email so I can add you, if you wish.    

Still haven’t worked out how to send a pm but I’ll try again today!

4 minutes ago, Hopefulmom said:

I couldn't do it straight away and I'm still pressing all sorts of buttons.  I think I scrolled right at the top like.ypur coming away from post and something in the top right corner.  You have to remember my name and type in.  (I kept forgetting who it was and then going back..)

Hi Hopefulmom. You need to go to the top of the page and click on the envelope - then put in the name of the person you want to PM and send a message as you would an email. Hope that helps. There are 4 of us in the WhatsApp group at the moment - the more the merrier.  (Thanks to Love-dance for setting it up.)

On the top right hand side of the screen there is an icon that looks like an envelope.  That takes you to the DM facility.  You can see a list of any messages you have received.

If you want to send a message press "Compose new".

You can't see messages you have sent in that drop down box but if you click on "Go to inbox" which is at the bottom of the drop down you can see all the messages.

If you start to make greater use of the DM facility it is important to keep an eye on your message box and clear it out as it can get full very quickly.

• Like 1