Ballet upper schools - and UK sources of students

AlwaysBallet

Hi, sorry I am a novice here.

I am trying to work out which vocational schools have the best success rates at getting the girls into RB Upper school, Princess Grace, ENB etc. 

Do the RB take from Elmhurst? 

Thank you so much for your help. 

• alison changed the title to Ballet upper schools - and UK sources of students
8 hours ago, SarahBallet said:

Hi, sorry I am a novice here.

I am trying to work out which vocational schools have the best success rates at getting the girls into RB Upper school, Princess Grace, ENB etc. 

Do the RB take from Elmhurst? 

Thank you so much for your help. 

Think those would be tricky statistics to find out unless you could get the info over a  long period of time, say last 20 yrs. Obviously it varies from year to year and yes, I think all the main 4/5 vocational schools would be represented somewhere in ENBS and RB upper school but have no actual statistical facts. Not sure I would be so certain about Princess Grace though, which has an unbelievably high standard and it is notoriously difficult to get a place. Not sure where you would get that information from, unless you asked the schools themselves to volunteer it.

Even over the last 20 years I don't think the info would be helpful, the more recent statistics would be more relevant and useful.

The RB Upper school certainly take from Elmhurst. I believe there was a post about that this year and  know that in previous years Elmhurst students have been successful at getting into RBS too. It probably goes without saying that WL has the most success at getting students into RB upper school, as Elmhurt does to their upper school.

ENB I'm sure takes students from all the major lower schools, not having a lower school itself.

Princess Grace has a completely different system. It's a 4 year course starting from age 13/ 14 although they do accept students into other years. Their students come from a wide variety of backgrounds. I went there having not been to vocational school previously.

I know that Hammond have sent students to Elmhurst, Central, ENBS etc in recent years but the numbers involved are so tiny with cohorts of between 20-30 children that unless a students chooses to go "public" or you know the students involved it is almost impossible to collect these statistics.  I imagine it is the same at most schools especially with GDPR.

• Like 3

I think your best bet would be to have a look at all the major lower schools to get a feel for them and audition at those you like. If funding is an issue, be aware that only WL, Elmhurst, Tring and Hammond have funded places under the MDS. If you are lucky enough to receive an offer from more than one place, choose the place that you feel would best suit you. This won't be the same for everyone. Being in the enviroment best suited to nurture your potential and your individual strengths and weaknesses both as a dancer and as a person is will ensure you are well placed to audition for whichever upper schools you're aiming for.

• Like 5