Hammond Funding Results

Janey

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, all other things they've sent have been via email. I've checked all my emails and nothing is there. Surely they contact you either way? Not fair that we have heard nothing yet we are seeing that other people have. Too stressful!!

Finger crossed for you. It’s an emotional roller coaster isnt it? My DD is on the reserve list for MDS. Our letter said that MDS places have to be taken up by 8th April. Thinking it is probably unlikely that an MDS place will come up. Very new to all of this though! 

You never know, if people have applied elsewhere and decide to go there instead it might free one up. Did you get the email last Friday? It's a total emotional roller coaster! I just need to know either way!!

Thanks x I did receive a wrong email about the registration to the parents of a child with the same name as mine so I wonder if they got 2 emails on Friday! Who knows. Monday can't come quick enough. 

28 minutes ago, Janey said:

Thanks x I did receive a wrong email about the registration to the parents of a child with the same name as mine so I wonder if they got 2 emails on Friday! Who knows. Monday can't come quick enough. 

Hope you have a busy weekend planned, they usually go quicker. At least it's an hour shorter to begin with 😉. The waiting is definitely the worst bit. Best of luck x

On 29/03/2019 at 21:53, Mrs Butterfly said:

Finger crossed for you. It’s an emotional roller coaster isnt it? My DD is on the reserve list for MDS. Our letter said that MDS places have to be taken up by 8th April. Thinking it is probably unlikely that an MDS place will come up. Very new to all of this though! 

Last year, mds places were eventually offered to at least 5 on the waiting list, so don't despair!

Thank you WhatsThePointe. Do you remember when all that would have happened last year? The school thought it very unlikely that MDS awards would be given back. But I’m guessing that if children have multiple offers and multiple MDS awards, they can only take up one place. What an amazing position that would be to be in! 

Can someone explain it to me please as I’m new to all of this. So they have a certain amount of MDS to give out with the priority given to year 7’s but all the years are on the reserve list together? 

So if 3 year 7 children give up their MDS to go to another school do the next 3 year 7’s on the reserve list get offered an MDS or whoever is next on the list regardless of what year they’re in? 

I’m sure someone will correct me if I am wrong but as I see it - everyone who is invited to funding final is either awarded an MDS or placed on a reserve list .

I think there were fewer MDS this year than usual .

Some children who have been awarded an MDS at Hammond / Tring / Elmhurst / Royal , might have multiple offers , so some are turned down .

Therefore between now and September , a lot can change .

One of my pupils has 2 MDS offers and may have 3 , so this will release one or two MDS when she decides ( and there is a deadline to accept ) 

My friend phoned up to find out where her daughter was on the list for an MDS .

It gives you an idea of whether you might be in with a chance .

I believe there are 52 on the list .

please correct me if I’m wrong .

1 hour ago, ponklemum said:

Can someone explain it to me please as I’m new to all of this. So they have a certain amount of MDS to give out with the priority given to year 7’s but all the years are on the reserve list together? 

So if 3 year 7 children give up their MDS to go to another school do the next 3 year 7’s on the reserve list get offered an MDS or whoever is next on the list regardless of what year they’re in? 

Hiya,

All the years are on the reserve list together and any awards that are handed back are offered down the list. Year 7 and 8 are priority. Of the 5 awards I know were handed out to those on reserve last year, 4 were Year 7 and one was Year 8. I do have this information secondhand though, so it might not be 100% accurate.

Last year when I discussed with the school DD's position on the list, I was told she was above all the older years, apart from a couple of Year 8's.

Edited by margarite

Thanks to everyone who has posted. I rang this morning and my son has been offered MDS! We will definitely be taking it as we only applied for the Hammond. I wanted him nearby, we live in lancaster. The assistant principal didn't seem to know why we hadn't got the email! I keep pinching myself as I can't quite believe it! I hope everyone gets what they want. It is such an emotional couple of months. Now the reality that he will be boarding will set in, he's my only child so it'll be very strange having an empty house! Please let me know how you get on if you don't know your position yet. We can be a support to each other xx

• Like 14

Congratulations @Janey. That is such good news for you. We are on the reserve list for MDS, not hopeful to be honest.

Is there anyone in the position where they may have to turn down the offer of a place, because the fees are too great? 

The whole process is such an emotional rollercoaster! 

We have had a similar conversation today. It’s so hard isn’t it. You might get lucky if you are near the top? Wish there would be more available, it feels like there wasn’t many to go round this year? Thinking of you both, as know exactly how you are both feeling xx

Just now, Mrs Butterfly said:

We have had a similar conversation today. It’s so hard isn’t it. You might get lucky if you are near the top? Wish there would be more available, it feels like there wasn’t many to go round this year? Thinking of you both, as know exactly how you are both feeling xx

It’s such a rollercoaster isn’t it?? I hadn’t mentioned to my DS that he was on the reserve list as I was waiting to know if there were any bursaries available. I’ve told him tonight and he’s taken it remarkably well.

I do wonder how many MDS have been offered. My guesstimate is about 5 which isn’t a lot at all! Many Congratulations to those who have got MDS and a genuine thank you to the likes of @Ms Sunshine who have given theirs back quickly to allow someone else’s DC to fulfill their dream. Thinking of everyone in the same position as us x

22 minutes ago, Bothballet said:

It’s such a rollercoaster isn’t it?? I hadn’t mentioned to my DS that he was on the reserve list as I was waiting to know if there were any bursaries available. I’ve told him tonight and he’s taken it remarkably well.

I do wonder how many MDS have been offered. My guesstimate is about 5 which isn’t a lot at all! Many Congratulations to those who have got MDS and a genuine thank you to the likes of @Ms Sunshine who have given theirs back quickly to allow someone else’s DC to fulfill their dream. Thinking of everyone in the same position as us x

Hi, I completely agree with you. It’s so good of people to free up awards as soon as possible, as it will make such a difference for someone else. 

It does feel like there haven’t been many awards for this year. I could be wrong! I was thinking a similar number. 

Its helpful to chat tonight, as we are all clearly feeling the same. I am absolutely gutted for my little dancer. Xx

Remember all gets reassessed based on household income annually so what may start out as 50% can end  up being reduced the following year; all are individual cases. ...& take into account all the extras not covered such as exam fees, music, healthcare, uniform & dance kit costs, school trips, travel etc... some of these items get covered by MDS for some but worth knowing exactly what you can be looking at financially. Beware upping income to meet these extras as Bursary may get reduced following year by pretty much exactly what you earned so you end up worse off  finance &/or time wise. Don’t want to put anyone off but it is important to look at the longterm picture & full impact on family. Good luck to all waiting on decisions & truly hope you can make it work by whatever means! It can be a struggle but one well rewarded!

Edited by Peanut68
Typos
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Mrs Butterfly said:

Thank you @Peanut68 that’s actually really helpful (as I lie awake stressing!). I think the reality is sinking in and this is probably not going to be our time x

This was us a couple of years ago. Dd1 did not get MDS but did get bursary. However, it was still going to be a struggle financially but we thought we could just make ends meet. My husband then got made redundant and we had to decline. Very hard for her but would have been worst if she had gone and then we would of had to remove her due to inability to pay.

It is very hard when your dc wants it so much but you just cannot afford it. I hope it works out for you. Good luck to all.

• Like 1