Royal Ballet joiners 2019

10 hours ago, bangorballetboy said:

all six of the current Aud Jebsen young dancers have contracts to join the company next season.

I thought  7 were welcomed last July...Harris Bell, Harrison Lee, Taisuke Nakao, Katherina Nikelski, Amelia Townsend and Hang Yu from The Royal Ballet School, and Lania Atkins from the Dutch National Ballet Academy.  Has one of those already gone? 

10 hours ago, bangorballetboy said:

Kevin O’Hare announces at tonight’s insight event that all six of the current Aud Jebsen young dancers have contracts to join the company next season.

it was also announced that current RBS dancers Brayden Gallucci and Bomin Kim will be joining the programme in September.

But there are 7 Aud Jebsen Young Dancers, aren't there - 6 ex RBS and one from the Dutch National School? [Eight are listed on the website but we know that Amelia Palmiero has now left.]

No surprise at all at the new AJ contracts. Those two young men have been on the RB stage a lot this season.

[Posted simultaneously with Richard LH ]

Edited by capybara

47 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

I thought  7 were welcomed last July...Harris Bell, Harrison Lee, Taisuke Nakao, Katherina Nikelski, Amelia Townsend and Hang Yu from The Royal Ballet School, and Lania Atkins from the Dutch National Ballet Academy.  Has one of those already gone? 

I'm sure they're all  on stage in both Don and R&J. Taisuke Nakao has a seemingly permanent slot as a 'ruffian' in Don Q and I'm pretty certain that I spotted all the others on stage this week as well. It is a talented group.

1 minute ago, Richard LH said:

Is it unusual to  only have two RBS students joining the Aud Jebsen programme?

I think this specific announcement was made as the two named dancers were participating in the insight evening.  I don't think it was meant to suggest that they are the only students joining the programme next season.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, capybara said:

I have received a PM pointing out that Bomin Kim is a young woman. Apologies to her and everyone - I was clearly thinking about the wrong person.

I did think that might have been an error, but then we seem to be living in gender-fluid times...

5 hours ago, bangorballetboy said:

I think this specific announcement was made as the two named dancers were participating in the insight evening.  I don't think it was meant to suggest that they are the only students joining the programme next season.

Thanks BBB, that makes sense.

19 hours ago, bangorballetboy said:

Kevin O’Hare announces at tonight’s insight event that all six of the current Aud Jebsen young dancers have contracts to join the company next season.

So, either the company is continuing to expand, or we can expect some losses to compensate?  Or possibly both?

• 1 month later...

It would seem from her Instagram posts that Leticia Stock has left the Joffrey Ballet after one year and is re-joining the RB.  Not sure if this was originally the plan, but I will be very glad to see her back on the ROH stage next season.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Sim said:

It would seem from her Instagram posts that Leticia Stock has left the Joffrey Ballet after one year and is re-joining the RB.  Not sure if this was originally the plan, but I will be very glad to see her back on the ROH stage next season.  

Yes, it was a one year sabbatical.

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Sharon said:

I'm wondering if Solomon Golding is planning on returning to RB as he has posted on Instagram that he's leaving SFB.......

There are a lot of other places he could be going instead :) 

She seems to be a confident young lady with an engaging  stage presence. One to watch for the future, I suspect...

Would she be related to Mariko Sasaki I wonder, or is this a common Japanese name?

EDIT OK Wikipedia tells me it is the 13th most common Japanese surname....

Edited by Richard LH
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Richard LH said:

She seems to be a confident young lady with an engaging  stage presence. One to watch for the future, I suspect...

Would she be related to Mariko Sasaki I wonder, or is this a common Japanese name?

EDIT OK Wikipedia tells me it is the 13th most common Japanese surname....

Yes, Sasaki is a very popular name in Japan, but Sumina Sasaki's father Dai Sasaki was a big name in ballet in Japan, a Varna and Silver medalist and Jackson and Perm Gold medalist, and still dances on major stages here. Her mother, brother and sister are all professional ballet dancers. 

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
On 28/03/2019 at 08:45, Richard LH said:

I am located in Oslo Norway, and last night I went to Norwegian National Ballet's triple bill (kingdom of shades, Secus, symphony in C), and spotted Lania Atkins on the cast list (and on stage of course). So I suppose if one of the Aud Jebsen dancer has left, it is likely to be her.

• Like 2

On 14/06/2019 at 06:12, SylviaLiu said:

I am located in Oslo Norway, and last night I went to Norwegian National Ballet's triple bill (kingdom of shades, Secus, symphony in C), and spotted Lania Atkins on the cast list (and on stage of course). So I suppose if one of the Aud Jebsen dancer has left, it is likely to be her.

On 15/06/2019 at 21:12, Richard LH said:

Although she has now tagged "back to London"'on her instagram....

Yes and she’s off to Japan presumably, and by the look of it, with the RB Tour -  she just posted on Instagram.

9 hours ago, Springbourne3 said:

Yes and she’s off to Japan presumably, and by the look of it, with the RB Tour -  she just posted on Instagram.

Yeah it does seem so! I certainly would be happy for her if she continue on her RB journey next season! It just seems to me a bit unusual for a young dancer to dance with two companies during the same season.

7 hours ago, SylviaLiu said:

Yeah it does seem so! I certainly would be happy for her if she continue on her RB journey next season! It just seems to me a bit unusual for a young dancer to dance with two companies during the same season.

Yes me too - unless she has to finish her year with the RB which may include the end of season tour before moving on to another company - but it’s purely speculation!