Addyweese

My daughter goes to ballet boost. She thoroughly enjoys it. It is not something that her dance school suggested. She applied and auditioned herself although got her teachers permission. Her teacher is keen for her to audition for York Dance Scholars.  She admittedly doesnt know too much about ballet boost due to it being quite new but has had a number of students over the years attend YDS. 

I suppose my question is does anyone have any good ...or bad experience of BB or YDS...or even better does anyone have any experience of both and are able to advise on differences?

I have no idea if she is good enough to get in at YDS but if she does I don't know how to choose!

Thanks x

Hello Addyweese and welcome to the Forum!

If you search on "York Dance Scholars" and "Ballet Boost" using the quotes you will come up with different threads (usually the general Summer School ones) where these schemes have been discussed before.

I am sure other members will chip in too.

Hi Addyweese. Both schemes are very good. BB is more ballet focussed, with optional contemporary. YDS is more varied and gives equal weight to ballet, contemporary and jazz, with a 30 minute session of body conditioning as well. So the main reason to choose one over the other would be whether you want to focus more on just ballet or have a variety. It depends on age, but I think you would do about 2.5-3 hours ballet per session with BB, 1-1.5 hours per session with YDS. YDS is 30 sessions per year, BB is fewer (around 20 in London I think, but not sure about other centres). 

There isn't much info available about YDS, as scholars are told that they must not discuss/mention YDS on social media. 

YDS is weekly, on a Saturday.

DD auditioned and was offered a place, but we choose to stay with Renaissance Arts Scholars in Leeds. We prefered the flexibility of classes once a fortnight on a Sunday afternoon.

14 minutes ago, Addyweese said:

Interesting that york scholars are told not to mention on social media...

I doubt the reason is anything sinister, probably more to do with safeguarding. My daughter did a year of Scholars last year and two or three summer schools. She had some brilliant teachers across all three disciplines - and would love to still learn with the contemporary teacher and at least one of the ballet teachers and several jazz if she could; they were all very well renowned. The focus is no longer purely on classical because of the recognition that dancers need to be more well rounded, but the classical teaching is very good and at least two alumni went to well reputed vocational ballet schools at 16 last year. Worth auditioning and seeing what she thinks and decide from there!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pixiewoo said:

There isn't much info available about YDS, as scholars are told that they must not discuss/mention YDS on social media. 

YDS is weekly, on a Saturday.

DD auditioned and was offered a place, but we choose to stay with Renaissance Arts Scholars in Leeds. We prefered the flexibility of classes once a fortnight on a Sunday afternoon.

Their media presence on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter has been quite active for the last year so maybe they have changed their views relatively recently.

Hi

My daughter is at York Dance Scholars, she does ballet , jazz and contemporary . She absolutely loves all the classes and the teachers are fantastic. They do change the jazz teachers quite frequently but all the ones my daughter has had have been fantastic, it’s the same contemporary teacher week in week out. They do seem to get a lot of holidays but that gives us the flexibility for shows etc. My youngest is going to audition this year she’s only 8 but will be 9 by the start of a new year and she would love to get in esp for the contemporary classes! 

Hope that helps a little x

• Like 1

Scholars are only not permitted to share photographs taken at Scholars on Social Media. There are no sinister reasons mainly safe guarding issues.  The classes are delivered by very high calibre practioners who are all highly distinguished in the world of dance. Their website has a page dedicated solely to the faculty. There is also a lengthy page of alumni which shows many names who have gone on from vocational training to work successfully in the industry including Xander Parish ( Their Patron) who is Principal Dancer at Mariinsky,  David Bintley, Artistic Director BRB, Samantha Raine former Principal at Royal Ballet and now Ballet Mistress , Peter Parker of Britain's Got Talent fame and many more. Every year they have a good number of scholars going forward to Vocational training as well. My son trained there before going on to vocational school and is now working professionally. I highly recommend them.

York Dance Scholars continues to provide excellent training on a Saturday Morning in Ballet, Jazz and Contemporary. Junior students also benefit from a lesson in Body Conditioning each week. 

Auditions for the new September intake will take place on 20th April 2019 however, application deadline is Sunday 31st March 2019 so please make sure you apply at our website now.

Our Summer School is filling up fast. For more information, please do take a look at our social media channels or website.

Our Summer School offers residential and day places where students take classes in Ballet, Jazz, Contemporary and Musical Theatre. As well as this, they have recreational activities, excellent food and accommodation and the chance to work with guest practitioners before putting a gala performance on in the beautiful theatre at St. Margaret's School, Escrick on the final afternoon. Early Bird discount available until 1st May 2019!

Instagram - @YorkDanceScholars

Twitter - @YorkScholars

Facebook - @YorkDanceScholars

Website - www.yorkshireballetscholarshipcentre.com

My DD goes to ballet boost and has done their summer school for the last few years too. We are really delighted with the quality of the teaching and the day suits us better than York, but lots of her friends do York and she is probably going to go the audition to get a feel for the place.

The variety of the teaching is a big plus for a lot of her friends who can’t make jazz/contemporary/conditioning classes otherwise- some BBA centres don’t offer contemporary- but my DD gets a good amount/standard of those anyway. I think both programmes are excellent with great faculty.  it largely comes down the varied styles of York v the more classical focus of BBA  or if you want the Saturday or Sunday! 

• Like 1