Tinks

Hi

My daughter has a recall for the Northern Ballet Cat Scheme in April, is anyone in the same situation and does anyone have any info/tips/advice please! Her audition date seems like such a long time away, as her associate audition was yesterday x 

It is a bit strange that there is such a big gap between Associate and CAT auditions. You would think it would be helpful for them to know which of the candidates were accepted onto CAT before making Associate offers, so that they make the right number of offers. Another mystery of the audition process!

CAT at Northern is a great scheme, but it is a big commitment. At your daughter’s age, 2 nights a week and all day Saturday, plus lots of holiday intensives (including 3 weeks during summer). They do not look kindly on absences for festivals (although I think you are allowed to ask for a couple of absences for this reason per year, so long as they don’t clash with important rehearsals).

I would say to your daughter - try to be relaxed and enjoy the audition. There is very little you can do about the outcome now, so just go in there and do your best - whatever will be will be. My daughter was an Associate. She applied for CAT but was turned down. The next year she was offered a place on CAT. She did 2 years on the programme and loved it :) .

Feel free to pm me if you want.

Good luck! 

• Jan McNulty changed the title to CAT Scheme (Northern Ballet Leeds)

Thank you, I think it does sound strange and my Dd says she knows someone who has a CAT audition this Wednesday?! So who knows , just hope we don’t have to wait until after that audition to find out about the associate auditions! 

I don’t think my daughter would mind giving up festivals at all but I just worry about the commitment , we live an hour away from Leeds and I have two younger children who also are very busy with activities 😬 but I can see it’s an amazing opportunity if she was to get chosen x

My daughter's now a CAT after three years as an Associate and there is no denying it is a HUGE commitment, with intensives in half terms and holidays as well as evenings and weekends. However the teaching and pastoral care is wonderful, their outcomes are fantastic and learning alongside a working company is an absolute privilege - the insight they get into life as a dancer is unparalleled. She has also grown up a huge amount this year, commuting both in and out, which I just wouldn't have thought possible at the beginning of the year. Obviously your daughter is too young to do this, but there may be lift share opportunities with other parents and the office can help you find those. 

All I can suggest for the audition is that your daughter do her best and does her best to enjoy it - and to show she's having fun. Don't be afraid to answer questions if any are asked and to remember that a no is not a no forever, it might just be a not yet. 

Good luck!

My daughter is also a CAT, and is very happy at Northern.

I think they had the younger ones final audition at the weekend just gone, but for the others they join in a class with the existing CATs, so some joined in last week in my daughters class and she said they were told there were some more scheduled.

I agree, the best thing for your daughter would be to try and relax and enjoy it and look like she's having fun, they love to see them looking happy.

Best of luck to her and fingers crossed.

Thank you all, she’s getting very excited! What times are typical evenings and Saturdays? Some of the younger ones already know the outcome of their audition so this is torture waiting for another two weeks 😂 x

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Not sure.....she will be going in to Year 6 at school. She was supposed to go in on the 23rd April but we were away and on the email it said we would hear on the 29th.......so if it's the same timings for hearing back, that would take it to Bank Holiday Monday for hearing! Eeeek! She loved the class so if she doesn't get in this year I know she will audition again next year. 

On 05/05/2019 at 21:18, Tinks said:

That’s fantastic news! See you at the summer intensive then ! Well done 👍 

We cant do it :( As we weren't planning on the CAT scheme this year so we already have our holiday booked as its thise exact two weeks!! So annoyed as it's amazing that its included in the cost of the scheme!! Does it tend to be around the same time each year? And which other holidays tend to have intensive......I don't mind them as I'm a teacher so I'm off work anyway!

Edited by sunrise81

We had a week booked too but managed to change it,  I have no idea if it’s the same time each year, I would presume so. I’m sure someone said it was pretty much all school holidays! But someone may come and correct me 😬

There is an intensive every school holiday. Not always for the entire week but usually for 2-3 days at least.

This academic year the intensives for CAT Level 1 were as follows:

Summer - 6th August to 18th August 2018 (each Sunday was off) Hours were something like 11am - 4pm as far as I remember.

October half term - 27th and 28th October 2018

February 21st -23rd 2019

April 12th and 13th.

May 28th - 1st June (TBC)

Hope that helps.

Edited by Nala

30 minutes ago, Nala said:

There is an intensive every school holiday. Not always for the entire week but usually for 2-3 days at least.

This academic year the intensives for CAT Level 1 were as follows:

Summer - 6th August to 18th August 2018 (each Sunday was off) Hours were something like 11am - 4pm as far as I remember.

October half term - 27th and 28th October 2018

February 21st -23rd 2019

April 12th and 13th.

May 28th - 1st June (TBC)

Hope that helps.

Brilliant thanks! She's very excited to start!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, has anyone had any further information re starting the CAT programme? We have received the acceptance email and the email re summer intensive dates but nothing else. 

Just wondering about uniform/fees etc... I'm just trying to be organised but maybe it will come closer to the time? X

On 16/05/2019 at 22:04, Ballet2008 said:

Hi, has anyone had any further information re starting the CAT programme? We have received the acceptance email and the email re summer intensive dates but nothing else. 

Just wondering about uniform/fees etc... I'm just trying to be organised but maybe it will come closer to the time? X

Email received today with all the forms :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, just wondering who's DC will be attending the summer intensive. My dd will be doing the last two weeks as we already have commitments for the first week 😢 She is a bit upset missing the first week but hoping she will fit in 🤞 and I have said others may be missing dates too. She will then be starting level 2 in September x 

Does anybody know if they wear the uniform for the summer intensive? Xx

10 minutes ago, Tinks said:

Hi

My daughter will be doing the first two weeks and starts level 4 in  Sept, did you get an e mail about any shirt they can buy? Xx

Yes, I have the email about a t-shirt to order but they start at age 12 ( will probably be a dress on my dd!!) I don't think it is compulsory to buy it but didn't know re uniform requirements for the intensive xx