Impresario Victor Hochhauser has died aged 95

Never in the field of British cultural education has so much been owed by so many to so few.  He was to Britain what Sol Hurok was to North America.  A simple 'thank you' seems entirely inadequate but - without hesitation - this one is certainly heartfelt.  Mr. Hochhauser well DESERVES to RIP.  Long may he be able to do so.  

• Like 16

The Bolshoi and Mariinsky Seasons are going to feel very strange without Mr Hochhauser standing by, or sitting in, his seat at Row H of the ROH Stalls.

As others have said,  huge thanks are due to him and his wife Lilian. She was awarded a CBE not long ago and I was somehow expecting that a knighthood might be bestowed on Victor.

• Like 8

I owe my love of ballet, and especially Russian ballet, to the Hochhauser Kirov and Bolshoi tours starting in the early 1990s and continuing to the present day. So many great memories such as the Kirov Corsaire with Farouk ruzimatov and the fabulous Altynai Assulyratova and the amazing debuts of Osipova and Vasiliev in Don Q. None of this would have been possible without the dedication and commitment of Victor and Lillian Hochhauser. They were the best, and leave a tremendous legacy of artistic memories and a passionate commitment to the arts which is sadly lacking today. My thoughts are with Lillian at this very sad time but I also hope that their great work in bringing Russian opera and ballet to the UK can continue as I'm sure  Victor would want. 

• Like 13

14 hours ago, capybara said:

The Bolshoi and Mariinsky Seasons are going to feel very strange without Mr Hochhauser standing by, or sitting in, his seat at Row H of the ROH Stalls.

As others have said,  huge thanks are due to him and his wife Lilian. She was awarded a CBE not long ago and I was somehow expecting that a knighthood might be bestowed on Victor.

I now see that Mr Hochhauser received a CBE in 1993.

I absolutely agree with all the posters who say how much we owe in this country to the work of the Hochhausers, especially in the early days when they had to deal with Soviet bureaucracy to get the companies into London.  I don't think anyone else could have done it.  My deepest condolences to Lilian Hochauser.

On ‎24‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 23:12, jmhopton said:

I owe my love of ballet, and especially Russian ballet, to the Hochhauser Kirov and Bolshoi tours starting in the early 1990s and continuing to the present day.

Yes, I remember going to the ?1989 tour at the London Coliseum.  I've only just gathered that that one was the first for a long time after perestroika - I'd just assumed that they happened every couple of years or so, like now.

We may complain about the prices at times, but arts lovers do indeed have a great deal to be grateful to the Hochhausers for.  Quite honestly, I thought Victor deserved a credit on the BBC news that night for his contribution to the arts life of this country. 

My deepest sympathies to Lilian and the family.

• Like 3

• alison changed the title to Impresario Victor Hochhauser has died aged 95
13 minutes ago, alison said:

We may complain about the prices at times, but arts lovers do indeed have a great deal to be grateful to the Hochhausers for.

Yes, on balance the Hochhauser Russia-UK tours have been thoroughly worthwhile.  Even if I and other opera-lovers have long drawn a tactful veil over the Kirov/Mariinsky Opera Verdi centenary tour which they brought to the ROH in 2001!

• Like 1