New dancers in Vanemuine Ballet Theatre, Estonia

You'll probably need to translate this, as I doubt there are many Estonian speakers on the forum, but thought some of you might like this. (Need to find a better translation because some of it's quite amusing! But it's better than nothing!!)

http://www.tartupostimees.ee/979438/vanemuise-balletihooaja-avab-dzass-uute-tantsijate-osalusel/

• Like 4

This is the Google Translate translation of the paragraphs about young Englishman Joshua Woodhams:

Joshua Woodhamsi charmed childhood pas de deux

Joshua Woodhams is an Englishman. And as known to all, is a British talk about the weather very well.

Estonia without him was not anything bad to say. On the contrary - it is his opinion, in general, be nice and warm. The rugged 30-degree frost for he had heard that in those days most of the time it takes riidessepanekule because clothing must be pulled each other for at least five layers.

Joshua Woodhams was born 1993rd in the UK in Frimley. He first studied at the Royal Ballet School and Elmhurst Dance School in Birmingham, and then, after completion of which he became a ballet dancer Vanemuine this August.

World Ballet võlude kütkeisse ran his childhood, when his family went along with the Royal Opera House in Covent Garden to see "Pähklipurejat". "I was charmed by the pas de deux," recalls Wood-hams.

His life for as long as the biggest achievement of my choice Vanemuine Ballet Theatre. Just as he started the season at the same time Vanemuine ballet troupe recruited dancers, he also participates in productions as "Moonlight Express", "Sleeping Beauty," "Cabaret" and "The Nutcracker."

Ballet training and test samples over the remaining time was spent relaxing in the company of his friends. Before coming to work in Tartu in Estonia, he did not know much of anything. "People here are very friendly and helpful," he said. "I have not yet experienced anything bad."

Where he works in five years? "I would like to one day go back to England to take up some tantsukompaniis work there," said Joshua Woodhams.

• Like 3

I'm curious to know which ballet "Pähklipurejat" is - presumably not Nutcracker or Sleeping Beauty, unless Google Translate translated it once but not twice, yet it seems to be to music by Tchaikovsky ... I can't imagine it's Swan Lake, either.

I'm curious to know which ballet "Pähklipurejat" is - presumably not Nutcracker or Sleeping Beauty, unless Google Translate translated it once but not twice, yet it seems to be to music by Tchaikovsky ... I can't imagine it's Swan Lake, either.

I'd vaguely assumed it's Nutcracker on the somewhat tenuous grounds that "Princess Purlipat (?sp) appears in some productions.

I think it must be 'Nutcracker' as it appears that (vaguely in French) pahkli means 'nut' and (in Finnish) purijat means 'biter'.

Thank you, everyone, for the linguistic help. I hadn't realised that Estonian looks related to Finnish until I started reading (if you can call it that) that page. I typed the word into the search box on the website, but didn't get any hits. Obviously taking the "t" off the end might have helped :).

I see they have the Ben Stevenson Nutcracker. That was one of the ones ENB used to do in the dim and distant days at the Royal Festival Hall.

• Like 1