Foot creams

Pups_mum

I know this should probably go in Not Dance but i am hoping for advice from dancers/ parents of dancers so I hope the mods will forgive me.

A few weeks ago I was unfortunately involved in a major car crash and suffered multiple injuries. I am home now and with the potentially life threatening injuries dealt with, it is the less serious problems come to the fore.

I have a bad fracture of my left heel bone and my whole left foot has bern very badly swollen though that is settling now. But my whole foot has bevome abnormally sensitive to touch and temperature and the skin has become very dry and cracked. My physio has recommend very gentle massage of the foot and im looking for some kind of nice cream to use, especially around my toes where the dry skin is at its worst. Which is where you guys come in....who knows more about sore feet than ballet dancers?! Could you let me know of any good creams you use? My DD has suggested an aloe vera cream but i dont like the smell, and another very weird effect of this crash is that my sense of smell has become heightened and smells that i used to find mildly unpleasant now really repulse me. (Husband has just burned toast in fact.....arrgh!)

Thanks in advance for any suggetions and apols for any drug induced spelling, grammar or reality errors!

Gosh, poor you! That sounds awful! 😱 

Well, dd uses L’Occitane Almond/Amande Lighter Legs cream after post-dance showers.  It does have Peppermint in though so use cautiously if your skin is very dry and sensitive.

For bad patches of sore, broken and itchy Eczema I use Lush Dream Cream.  It’s fabulous.  Try and smell some first though because it has an unusual smell (probably due to the oats).  The other one I’ve used in the past is Body Shop Vitamin E which is lovely and gentle.  Used to come in body wash and body lotion but now I believe it might be Body Butter. 

Hope one of those may work for you.  Sending healing thoughts. 

I'm so sorry to hear of your accident and wish you all the best for your recovery.

My first thought was an aloe vera gel but given your sensitivity to smell as well I wonder if you would be wize to use something like Vaseline. My DD has just had minor surgery and Vaseline is what the hospital recommended for her to use on the affected skin as a gentle moisturizer and to help healing with the exact same instruction of 'gentle massage'

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about the crash Pups Mum but glad you are on the mend. I use Flexitol heel cream as I've found it works really well on very dry, cracked skin. I had extensive surgery on my ankle, foot and achilles some years ago and get a lot of rough, hard skin around the scar on the outer side of my foot. Flexitol is the only cream I've found which works quickly and keeps the skin under control. Hope this helps and all the best for your continued recovery.

• Like 1

I use Aveeno Shea Butter as an overall moisturiser for everything. I have highly allergenic skin and I’ve used it for over five years successfully. I’m very sorry you were injured and hope you get well soon. I’m in a similar situation following a broken knee and having developed DVT so I  am being driven mad by being able to do very much at all at present. Sending love. 

Edited by Fiz
Hadn’t finished

Sorry to hear you’ve had such a rough time. We have always used Desitin for healing and dry skin. It’s an American nappy cream but is much more effective than the British stuff. It’s not amazing for massage as it’s quite thick but works wonders. You can get it online. 

When my friend had problems with her hands (due to constant immersion in water) she was recommended to try a cream called Dermidex.  I ended up using it too and used it for all sorts of dry and cracked skin over the years.  I don't know if it is still available.

I also have a tea-tree skin balm cream from Boots that is good for dry skin but you may not cope with the aroma if you are currently super sensitive to smells.

I'm so sorry to hear about your crash Pups and am glad you are on the mend.  Jxx

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Picturesinthefirelight said:

Sorry to hear this. 

My dd too loved Loccitane lighter legs but we have been unable to find it for the past couple of years. I’d love to know where Anna’s Dd gets hers from as we’ve been told it’s been discontinued ;or is she using up old supplies)

Using up old supplies.  I didn’t know it had been discontinued! 😔 L’Occitane still make Almond Body Balm and Shea Butter foot cream so will have to try those.

Sorry to hear you have had such an awful time. I was going to suggest doublebase (not diprobase) as it has a nice texture for massage. Flexitol is a very good moisturiser but if your skin is very sensitive at the moment you may react to the urea in it. If you’re allowed heat on the foot you may like a parrafin foot bath, they are not that expensive

So sorry to hear about your crash.  Glad you are making a recovery.  The soap and glory foot cream smells lovely and is very rich.  You could also try something like Aveeno (a cream for eczema) if your adverse to smells at the moment.  It is very moisturising.

My sympathy, I have been in a similar situation and it is very miserable.

I used Superdrug Aquaeous cream recommended by a nurse- very cheap, fragrance free and highly effective.

I was laid up for 3 months pre internet. At least you can order all these things online and try them all out!

2 hours ago, Mary said:

My sympathy, I have been in a similar situation and it is very miserable.

I used Superdrug Aquaeous cream recommended by a nurse- very cheap, fragrance free and highly effective.

I was laid up for 3 months pre internet. At least you can order all these things online and try them all out!

Aqueous cream actually isn’t recommended as a moisturiser anymore and hasn’t been for quite some time due to it causing sensitivity reactions much more commonly than equivalent products. It’s only recommended for washing with instead of soap. 

Thanks for all the suggestions and well wishes. I sent my husband out with a list of the more popular suggestions this morning. Naturally he came back with something completely different! The local pharmacist suggested an organic baby moisturiser which she says a lot of adults also swear by..... cant remember the name...still full of painkillers! So i will try that and return to this list if it doesnt help ( or the "mild fragrance" proves too much.