Bolshoi Cinema Broadcasts 2019-20

Not sure if this is the right place to post this news, in which case a moderator will move it, but I don't think anyone has listed the Bolshoi  Live ballets to be seen next season.

They will be:

Raymonda, 27 October

Corsaire,   17 November

Nutcracker, 15 December

Giselle,         26 January

Swan Lake,  23 January

Romeo and Juliet, 29 March

Jewels,     19 April

Apologies if someone has already posted.

• Like 13

Sorry for the error, Geoff, of course its February, I was typing from untidy notes! 

Bruce, I've not seen full season, either. I got this info from the French organisation that shows the Bolshoi Live, Pathe Live (via danses avec la plume). The image was ridiculously obscured, making it difficult to read, but I think the 3 ballets that are not repeats are Raymonda, Nutcracker and Romeo and Juliet. So it looks, Geoff, as if 4 are repeats and, Bruce, that the other 3 form part of the season next year.

• Like 2

Oh good.  Bliss.  I was hoping they'd repeat the full-length Le Corsaire.  Owing to the time it was scheduled and its length, I had to skip the last act last time!

(Now all we need, Bruce, is for them to magic up a repeat of the Esmeralda we missed at The Ritzy all those years ago because of technical problems!)

• Like 3

Very disappointed  with this schedule. With the exception of Raymonda,  rarely performed, there appears to be three encores, R&J, Nutcracker and Corsaire and three others which have been done to death in recent years, Giselle, Swan Lake and Jewell's. Time to shake the bag up.

It's interesting that they can decide this schedule before the New Season has even been announced.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
On 19/03/2019 at 08:08, Geoff said:

Thanks SheilaC. I suspect the Swan Lake is actually 23 February.

Does anyone know which screenings are actually live and which are repeats? 

According to the Tours en l'air website - 
October, 27, 2019-"Raymonda"
November, 17
, 2019 -"Le Corsaire"*
December, 15
, 2019 -"Nutcracker"*
January 26
, 2020-"Giselle"
February, 23 
, 2020 – «Swan Lake»
March, 29 
, 2020 – «Romeo and Juliet»*
April, 19
, 2020-"Jewels"

* - recorded

• Like 5

• 6 months later...

Does anyone know who is dancing the lead role for the Bolshoi Swan Lake live streaming on the 23rd Feb 2020. The cast sheet has been on their web page for some time, but it only shows the lead casting for the middle two performances. The first and last are missing.

The cast sheet is there, you have to click on all dates. It lists  Artem Ovcharenko as Siegfried but Odette/Odile is blank. I’ve just realised what you mean Stevie, having looked at all four performances and that you weren’t asking about Siegfried. Sorry.

Edited by Pulcinella

10 hours ago, Stevie said:

Does anyone know who is dancing the lead role for the Bolshoi Swan Lake live streaming on the 23rd Feb 2020. The cast sheet has been on their web page for some time, but it only shows the lead casting for the middle two performances. The first and last are missing.

Olga Smirnova. Every Bolshoi ballerina that is being broadacst is named Olga Smirnova. They all have the same name and surname, and they all look the same.

• Like 5

Well certainly the first two live performances in the current season starred Olga Smirnova and she did look alike in both. Good as she is, I do like to see some variety in the selection of principles, so I would prefer to see one of the two listed for the middle two performances. It is strange that with only nine days until the live streaming, they have not named the principle ballerina far the first and last performances. My bet was on Krisanova, although not through any preference. I have emailed them twice, with no reply, maybe we will have to attend to find out.

8 hours ago, Stevie said:

Well that's one we can eliminate from the Bolshoi cast sheet. Brings it down to five contender remaining in my calculations.

Ovcharenko is named as Siegfried.  But I believe Smirnova usually dances with Belyakov or Chudin.  Intrigued to see how this one plays out.... 

1 hour ago, RMM1 said:

My guess is that is should be Srepanova but she pulled out of performances in late January and they are not certain if she will be ready in time.

That may explain the late announcement. If they are giving her maximum  recovery time with a possible stand in lined up. If she's still recovering, then slim chance only for performing a week tomorrow. Two names required for 21/2 and 23/2 from following, unless any can be added or eliminated.

Ekaterina Krysanova                            

4 hours ago, alison said:

The Bolshoi doesn't do encore screening, Geoff.

I have found encore screenings of this upcoming Swan Lake all over England Alison (in the week following). But I have not as yet been able to identify any in the London area so hope somebody is cleverer at searching than I am! 

On 15/02/2020 at 00:34, FionaE said:

Ovcharenko is named as Siegfried.  But I believe Smirnova usually dances with Belyakov or Chudin.  Intrigued to see how this one plays out.... 

She took away Belyakov from Stepanova only recently, after those two had a series of sensational duets together. I went to Moscow to see some of them, I can confirm that those two together this can be magic.

21 hours ago, Geoff said:

I have found encore screenings of this upcoming Swan Lake all over England Alison (in the week following). But I have not as yet been able to identify any in the London area so hope somebody is cleverer at searching than I am! 

Well, well.  Certainly I've never seen any in the London area before, presumably because there are so many Picturehouses that it's not deemed necessary.  Be my guest to go on searching - have you tried the Pathé website?

On 15/02/2020 at 11:11, Geoff said:

Are any encore screenings of Swan Lake planned for the London area? I am completely stuck next Sunday so hope to find another screening later in the week or whatever. Help please!

this is the website I use.

https://www.bolshoiballetincinema.com/

there are some screenings that are not on the 23rd but the closest one I can find to London is in Dorking. Not very close!

• Like 2

On 15/02/2020 at 13:01, Stevie said:

That may explain the late announcement. If they are giving her maximum  recovery time with a possible stand in lined up. If she's still recovering, then slim chance only for performing a week tomorrow. Two names required for 21/2 and 23/2 from following, unless any can be added or eliminated.

Ekaterina Krysanova                            

Krysanova is in Novosibirsk dancing Taming of the Shrew with Lantratov on 21/2

Partnered by Jacopo Tissi.  This is a big honour for him.  He is much improved in strength and partnering this last year.  Bravo 👏

I look forward to hearing all about it as I can’t go myself.  (I’m at Alina Cojocaru’s show at Sadlers Wells at the same time. )

12 hours ago, Stevie said:

And as someone rightly predicted earlier its Olga Smirnova, again, in the live streaming and the first night. She is certainly taking more than her fair share of the burden of performance. Don't know what to do now.

That wasn't tough knowing that O.S. replaced Vaziev in the functions of the one who decides casting/promotion/publicity at Bolshoi. Vaziev remains, nominally, the head of the ballet company, he is concentrating on improving the quality of the corps. This is how they share their duties now.