CAT schemes

Cabbie

hi, can anyone tell me how successful the CAT schemes are in terms of the number of students that go on to study dance full time? DanceEast used to claim one hundred percent success rate but this seems to have been dropped from their latest literature. My child is keen to audition but we are wondering if there is a better route...

I guess they are all different. Northern Ballet CATs have a 100% success rate. Last year there were 7 graduates - 2 got into Central, 1 to ENBS, 1 to Elmhurst, 1 to Rambert, and 2 to NBS. Between them they also had offers from RCS, Tring and Laine. 

• Like 1

Thanks BlueLou, thats good to hear. I would be interested to know if anyone has personal recent experience of the DanceEast CAT as a comparison but it's reassuring to read that the NB scheme has been so successful.

10 minutes ago, sunrise81 said:

Does anyone know about the lesson times for NB CAT as will be looking at this next year. I work full time so need to think carefully about the demands for this.

It depends on the level - which is loosely linked to age. Also, it is individualised to a certain extent. Last year I think most of the younger ones did 2 evenings (not Tuesdays or Fridays), and all day Saturday. For the older ones they do various combinations of nights depending on their strengths - e.g. some do Fridays, some don’t. But that could well change.  The other thing to consider is the holiday intensives, which are pretty much compulsory - 3 weeks in summer, a few days at Easter, plus a couple of days during other October and Feb half terms I think. And extra rehearsals on Fridays and Sundays in the run up to the annual show. It is an excellent programme, but it is big commitment! 

18 minutes ago, BlueLou said:

It depends on the level - which is loosely linked to age. Also, it is individualised to a certain extent. Last year I think most of the younger ones did 2 evenings (not Tuesdays or Fridays), and all day Saturday. For the older ones they do various combinations of nights depending on their strengths - e.g. some do Fridays, some don’t. But that could well change.  The other thing to consider is the holiday intensives, which are pretty much compulsory - 3 weeks in summer, a few days at Easter, plus a couple of days during other October and Feb half terms I think. And extra rehearsals on Fridays and Sundays in the run up to the annual show. It is an excellent programme, but it is big commitment! 

Fab thanks! Already over there on a Saturday for her RBS JA lesson and taking her over to Waarington once a month for Cecchetti Associates too so ok with the weekend demand. Just the weekday lessons. Oooh the decisions!

I second the commitment being big. We found that we had very little family time and that the holiday intensives were the hardest to manage. It was most of Feb half term, one week of Easter hols and all of May half term on top of the 3 weeks in the summer. Fitting in a family holiday was a challenge at times! 

During the week we had to be there at 4.30 two nights a week until 8pm. I think I knew every shop in Leeds after a year of hanging about 😂😂

Having said all that it's a brilliant scheme with a really good success rate just go in with your eyes open.

Edited by DancingShoes
Spelling
  • Like 1

Thanks for that BumbleBallerina, can I ask where your CAT training has led you, assume that Ballet is your first love?

Thanks also for everyone's input on the commitment required, really helpful. 

• 1 month later...

The young man who won the contemporary section of the BBC Young Dancer this year went to The Lowry CAT scheme in Manchester. Talented lad, DS messaged him to congratulate him, man to man and he even replied telling him to keep dancing. Do think they are more contemporary based but def worth a look...👍👍👍

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/03/2019 at 16:07, sunrise81 said:

Fab thanks! Already over there on a Saturday for her RBS JA lesson and taking her over to Waarington once a month for Cecchetti Associates too so ok with the weekend demand. Just the weekday lessons. Oooh the decisions!

Depending what level your DC goes into it'll be different days. This year CAT Level 1 was Tuesday and Thursday evenings from 16:20 (for a 16:50 class start) to 19:20 and then all day on Saturday from 11:20am (for a 11:50am start) to 16:30 in the first term and 18:00 for the rest of the year.