Kevin O'Hare on BBC Breakfast 4th October

Didn't even know he was on, so of course I missed it :(. And I've just spent 3 hours and a lot of my broadband allowance downloading one half-hour episode of University Challenge, so I guess that's my lot for the month :(

As far as I can recall, he was talking about bringing ballet to a wider audience via cinema and guests at the ROH, such as Boy George. This was interesting after the recent discussions on this site,regarding elitism and snobbery. He also talked about the hard work involved in becoming a ballet dancer, the hours of intense training and rehearsal. He was asked about spotting talent, such as the next Darcey. He replied that a dancer evolves over the years, and it is about at the age of sixteen that the level of dedication and talent required,becomes apparent.What it takes to be a star! He bigged up Swan Lake, which of course starts next week and that is all I can remember. If I have forgotten anything or made a mistake, my apologies.

• Like 1

I didn't see the interview but don't know if you are aware that everyone who gains a place at RBS and the majority of places at Elmhurst are funded by the government's Music and Dance Scheme. These are means tested scholarships that see parents making a contribution towards the fees according to their income. So yes technically anyone talented enough should in theory be able to go. It doesn't always work like that with other children, distance to travel to see children at weekends and other hidden costs. I may be wrong but the bursaries tend to go to kids who aren't offered MDS for whatever reason, you have to be a UK resident to be eligible for example. Anyway my point is the MDS can still work out very expensive when you factor in everything else and I know some families decide they just cannot afford it. It is a good scheme though, it does seem fair really. I think ballet training is just expensive and extremely time consuming and only if the child cannot live without it would a family be willing to make the sacrifices. I think RB and BRB and their associated schools are making a great effort to get out into the communities to inspire the young and change peoples perception of who can be a ballet dancer, I hope they keep on and find ways to expose more kids to it.

• 2 weeks later...