Room 101

taxi4ballet

20 hours ago, alison said:

Incidentally, I went past an independent chemist today which had a sign on the door effectively saying: Sorry, if you're not wearing a mask you're not coming in.  Attract our attention and we'll come to the door and serve you, but you're not coming in, even if you have an exemption.  

My independent chemist also has the same sign, plus strict rules as to how many people can enter the shop at any one time.  We were all queuing up outside.  Shame about the assistant who was striding about the shop helping customers with her face mask under her chin. 

• Like 1

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good to see Sainsbury's are joining in. Last time I went there, a family of five was shopping together and only the mother wore a mask. Perhaps Olympic athletes get an exemption, as they were all wearing tracksuits... 

• Like 5

On 11/01/2021 at 17:54, glowlight said:

BBC news says Morrisons are stepping up on the face masks thing - but how staff will identify people who are 'medically exempt' I don't know as there is no legal definition for who is medically exempt.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55618408

This is the problem. 

Last time I looked, the government guidelines said that people do not actually have to provide proof of medical exemption if they don't want to.  It all seems a total waste of time, as that allows anyone who doesn't like wearing one to do so with impunity.  

• Like 3

On 11/01/2021 at 23:17, Peony said:

Under 11s are exempt although many do wear them. For a quick trip in the supermarket I think the majority of school age kids could wear one

Most primary aged children are perfectly capable of wearing a face covering, and in many countries they have to.

• Like 1

To wear a mask safely you have to be able to do it without touching it or fiddling so personally I think we were right to follow WHO guidelines for children  which take into account risks as well as benefits. Personally I have no issue with those who genuinely can’t wear a face covering and don’t think they should stay home. However those that can safely should and there’s a number of people who could but just don’t want to. 

• Like 1

On 14/01/2021 at 21:29, Peony said:

To wear a mask safely you have to be able to do it without touching it or fiddling so personally I think we were right to follow WHO guidelines for children  which take into account risks as well as benefits. Personally I have no issue with those who genuinely can’t wear a face covering and don’t think they should stay home. However those that can safely should and there’s a number of people who could but just don’t want to. 

The problem is that people who genuinely cannot wear a mask are going to be a risk.  If non mask wearing was limited to those with proof of medical exemption it would probably be fine, but there was a shocking video taken last week in a supermarket in Greenwich, showing about 15 people in the space of 6 minutes shopping without a mask on.  

I cannot believe they all qualify for exemption.  

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I appreciate that this has been mentioned by people before but I really object to the discrimination against people booking single tickets that is being applied to social distance seating arrangements in theatres.

I had been carrying tickets forward - all front row stalls - at a theatre and my replacements are at least 12 rows back.  I am not a hugely happy bunny as the booking originally related to dates in May 2020 and had been carried forward to May 2021 (without social distancing) but social distancing is now being applied.  The tickets had been booked in June and December 2019.

I did look at another show that is on sale and I could not find, in the stalls, one instance of a single ticket that could be booked!

I exclude Leeds Grand from my mega-whinge because their checkerboard seating plan meant that you could book a single ticket anywhere!

• Like 2

Jan, totally feel this! I didn't book a show at my local theatre (where I used to see everything they did) because I couldn't easily book a single seat online. Theatre booking systems have ALWAYS discriminated against single seat bookings, but now it's well nigh impossible.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Firefox.  I keep suddenly getting "Server Not Found" on all sorts of things, including when I was trying to download my ticket for tonight :(  This is since the fancy new update of a few days ago, but unfortunately my attempts to do a System Restore back to the previous version this afternoon have all failed, keeping the computer out of action for hours and forcing me to work on the train coming up once again to make up for it :(

3 hours ago, alison said:

Firefox.  

Due to Links I have a number of browsers:  My main one is Safari but I also have Chrome, Firefox, Opera and Brave!  Firefox used to be my main browser but it went rogue on me a few years ago so now it's my "only if I am desperate"!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

Due to Links I have a number of browsers:  My main one is Safari but I also have Chrome, Firefox, Opera and Brave!  Firefox used to be my main browser but it went rogue on me a few years ago so now it's my "only if I am desperate"!

I had that problem with Chrome, so switched to Firefox. Was excellent for a while, but now I do have to close it down before closing the laptop lid. And for some reason, I can't use my photo editing program, if FF is open (perhaps they want to use the same memory addresses or something). Now its struggling with a few sites, and goes into hyperdrive on others. Either that or I really do need a new computer!! lol