• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

AAAAGGGGHHHH!!!  What is it with websites at the moment?  Seems every time I change site at the moment I'm being asked to (re)approve my privacy settings :(  And the defaults you're being asked to approve vary so widely: some have virtually everything set to OFF, but others set everything to ON, and hope you'll just click on Accept without bothering to look any further.  Sneaky.

• Like 3
11 hours ago, alison said:

AAAAGGGGHHHH!!!  What is it with websites at the moment?  Seems every time I change site at the moment I'm being asked to (re)approve my privacy settings :(  And the defaults you're being asked to approve vary so widely: some have virtually everything set to OFF, but others set everything to ON, and hope you'll just click on Accept without bothering to look any further.  Sneaky.

The websites I hate the most are those where you don't have an option to turn everything off. I just back out and refuse to use their services.

• Like 2

Gangs of teenage schoolkids cavorting about in the supermarket without a mask between them.  No member of staff attempting to do anything about it.  Several adults guilty too (not cavorting).  There's a limit to the number of glares I can muster in one shopping trip.

• Like 4

The only place I have seen somebody being asked to put a mask on was at the Vet's this morning.

I have to say though that the mask-wearing rate has gone up here over the last few weeks.

• Like 1

Some shops  in London and at home have someone at the door asking for masks and antibac rub of hands. Mostly the more expensive ones but a couple of our supermarkets too. Pretty much everyone has been wearing them all the way through in our town though. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

I have to say though that the mask-wearing rate has gone up here over the last few weeks.

I wonder why.  Perhaps if it had been done earlier the current situation might have been avoided?

• Like 3

Poor grammar.  Contestant on a quiz show, apparently a university graduate in English and drama, claims to be a writer and when asked what she has written, says "I have wrote a play".  Is it just me who wants to throw a cushion at the television?

• Like 5
14 hours ago, AnneMarriott said:

Poor grammar.  Contestant on a quiz show, apparently a university graduate in English and drama, claims to be a writer and when asked what she has written, says "I have wrote a play".  Is it just me who wants to throw a cushion at the television?

And, the problem is that the more people who say this sort of thing the more it becomes the norm and so will be deemed to be OK (because 'language changes all the time' etc). Even highly educated people now say (for example) 'Me and John went out for a meal' instead of 'John and I...'. Why?? They wouldn't say 'Me went out for a meal'!! (I think it's a kind of inverse snobbery, conscious or otherwise - not wanting to sound educated/correct/pompous. Very depressing if you ask me.)

• Like 5

I’m back to put groups of Lycra clad cyclists in Room 101. I hadn’t realised we’d had a blissful few months without packs of shouting, Lycra clad, entitled cyclists until they are back this morning. For the past 5 hours we’ve had groups going past the house every few minutes, shouting to each other as the approach the junction ‘LEFT, LEFT, LEFT’. Not sure why they can’t see the various arrows that have been put out or the actual road signs that inform all road users of the T junction. And don’t get me started on those that think the drive is their special stopping point for a drink and a chat even though there is a perfectly useable village green across the road. 

• Like 4
4 hours ago, bridiem said:

And, the problem is that the more people who say this sort of thing the more it becomes the norm and so will be deemed to be OK (because 'language changes all the time' etc). Even highly educated people now say (for example) 'Me and John went out for a meal' instead of 'John and I...'. Why?? They wouldn't say 'Me went out for a meal'!! (I think it's a kind of inverse snobbery, conscious or otherwise - not wanting to sound educated/correct/pompous. Very depressing if you ask me.)

starting a sentence with ‘and’ 😫🤣

I’m not sure when the increased emphasis on grammar was introduced into the curriculum but it is now certainly far in excess of anything I learnt at school. Primary school level; fronted adverbials, appositives, noun sentences. Thank goodness for google! It does make English an incredibly boring subject at school which is a great shame, I don’t think we have got the balance right yet.

3 hours ago, Jane said:

I’m back to put groups of Lycra clad cyclists in Room 101. I hadn’t realised we’d had a blissful few months without packs of shouting, Lycra clad, entitled cyclists until they are back this morning. For the past 5 hours we’ve had groups going past the house every few minutes, shouting to each other as the approach the junction ‘LEFT, LEFT, LEFT’. Not sure why they can’t see the various arrows that have been put out or the actual road signs that inform all road users of the T junction. And don’t get me started on those that think the drive is their special stopping point for a drink and a chat even though there is a perfectly useable village green across the road. 

Rimrose Valley Country Park is a magnet for groups of lycra clad cyclists who assume they own all the pathways and go at sometimes ludicrous speeds spread across mixed use paths.

My favourite walk onto the main body of the park is through quite a narrow path the eventually has a sharp bend and incline.  I've lost count of the number of times I have had to leap out of the way of speeding cyclists coming down the incline and around the blind bend.

Mind you last weekend took the biscuit when I was nearly mown down by two speeding runners who were part of a group timing themselves!

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

Rimrose Valley Country Park is a magnet for groups of lycra clad cyclists who assume they own all the pathways and go at sometimes ludicrous speeds spread across mixed use paths.

My favourite walk onto the main body of the park is through quite a narrow path the eventually has a sharp bend and incline.  I've lost count of the number of times I have had to leap out of the way of speeding cyclists coming down the incline and around the blind bend.

Mind you last weekend took the biscuit when I was nearly mown down by two speeding runners who were part of a group timing themselves!

And then look at you like you shouldn’t be there? 🙄

• Like 1

So many of them seem to have no concept of their own safety let alone anybody elses! I’m surprised you have escaped them for a few months, they’ve been out in force here!

1 hour ago, Peony said:

starting a sentence with ‘and’ 😫🤣

I’m not sure when the increased emphasis on grammar was introduced into the curriculum but it is now certainly far in excess of anything I learnt at school. Primary school level; fronted adverbials, appositives, noun sentences. Thank goodness for google! It does make English an incredibly boring subject at school which is a great shame, I don’t think we have got the balance right yet.

Ho, ho - guilty as charged!

I started school in the 1960s and I've never heard of fronted adverbials etc - I'm (clearly) not a grammar expert or fanatic and I'm sure I get a lot of things wrong. But (oops!) I think that understanding the difference between the subject and the object of a sentence is pretty basic. (My sense of usage/grammar comes largely from reading, and to some extent from having studied Latin later on.) I don't think that the theory should overwhelm the practice, but I know nothing about teaching English so I will keep quiet about it!

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Peony said:

So many of them seem to have no concept of their own safety let alone anybody elses! I’m surprised you have escaped them for a few months, they’ve been out in force here!

Over the last few years there have been increasing amounts of huge organised cycle races that start at local public school and head towards coast, they claim to be raising money for charity. In May we normally have a sunrise cycle that attracts hundreds and at the same time a two day triathlon that also goes past in opposite direction. When I still did night shifts I had to make sure I wasn’t working otherwise no sleep was possible. 

32 minutes ago, bridiem said:

Ho, ho - guilty as charged!

I started school in the 1960s and I've never heard of fronted adverbials etc - I'm (clearly) not a grammar expert or fanatic and I'm sure I get a lot of things wrong. But (oops!) I think that understanding the difference between the subject and the object of a sentence is pretty basic. (My sense of usage/grammar comes largely from reading, and to some extent from having studied Latin later on.) I don't think that the theory should overwhelm the practice, but I know nothing about teaching English so I will keep quiet about it!

I am no expert either! I think it is fairly recently that the changes were made, so the young people who have learnt all this complex grammar probably haven’t emerged from the education system yet. To my mind making things too complex defeats the object as it becomes inaccessible to a lot of children. What we should be doing, as you say, is concentrating on functional skills to enable basic communication. Who knows; I may be proved wrong and we will see a generation with wonderful communication skills! 
I struggled enormously with Latin, I do think that was because I was taught instinctive rather than prescriptive grammar.

• Like 1

I’ve grown to like the occasional use of ‘And’ or ‘But’ at the start of a sentence as they can provide emphasis. The problem for me is where it becomes excessive and I’m afraid one or two journalist seem to start at least every other sentence with a conjunction, Laura Kuenssberg being a particularly enthusiastic user.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, JohnS said:

I’ve grown to like the occasional use of ‘And’ or ‘But’ at the start of a sentence as they can provide emphasis. The problem for me is where it becomes excessive and I’m afraid one or two journalist seem to start at least every other sentence with a conjunction, Laura Kuenssberg being a particularly enthusiastic user.

I think it was the pet peeve of my primary teacher because I hear her voice whenever I see it!

9 hours ago, Peony said:

I’m not sure when the increased emphasis on grammar was introduced into the curriculum but it is now certainly far in excess of anything I learnt at school. Primary school level; fronted adverbials, appositives, noun sentences.

You what???

I've recently taken on some editing work, and am starting to find it a struggle to justify my changes because I don't have the grammatical background to explain them.  I was definitely one of the generation who missed out: the only reason I know as much about grammar as I do is because of picking it up from foreign language lessons - and Latin.

• Like 2

In goes ruddy TalkTalk and their utter uselessness at problem-solving.

My husband has spent about five hours today on their online 'live chat' trying to sort out his mother's phone. She can ring out, but nobody else can ring her - the phone just goes dead. All we need to find out is whether there's a problem with her handset (in which case we can solve it by buying a new one) or whether there is an issue with the telephone line itself.

He has been driven completely round the bend by their utter incompetence and total inability to just test the line to see whether it is ok or not. 

15 hours ago, Fiz said:

Oh, Talk Talk are the very worst! We ditched them in 2012 and I can still remember the nightmare they were to deal with, from start to finish. You have my sympathy. 

Same here.  I still wake up in a cold sweat remembering the agony of trying to sort out problems with our bills.