Room 101

taxi4ballet

@alison that is terrible.  You really must report that driver, even if nothing is done.  All he will do is say 'I didn't see her' but you can contest that.  It's appalling leaving a lone woman standing on the street late at night.

• Like 3

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very sorry to hear that Alison.

Back to room 101.  I would like to put in it Tall People.  Particularly those that end up sitting RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME IN THE OPERA HOUSE!  I vote for height restricted performances for those of us who are on the shorter side.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Fonty said:

Very sorry to hear that Alison.

Back to room 101.  I would like to put in it Tall People.  Particularly those that end up sitting RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME IN THE OPERA HOUSE!  I vote for height restricted performances for those of us who are on the shorter side.  

Perhaps they could be offered discounted ticket prices if they sit in the back row?

As an aside, I can't believe I started this thread ELEVEN years ago!

Edited by taxi4ballet
  • Like 4

On 28/04/2023 at 13:49, Sim said:

@alison that is terrible.  You really must report that driver, even if nothing is done.  All he will do is say 'I didn't see her' but you can contest that.  It's appalling leaving a lone woman standing on the street late at night.

Oh, I did, Sim.

• Like 2

Ryanair are definitely in my bad books this evening.  I have flown with them many times, and never had an issue at all.  But this evening, while checking in and filling in all the details, I discovered I couldn't do it for my husband.  It would not accept his date of birth; kept telling me it was an invalid date.

After a bit of head scratching, I discovered that we had to fill in the details Month, Day, Year.  I have filled in masses of these forms before, and they have never done it that way round.  I had to go back and change my dob, plus the expiry date on my passport.  Would they have prevented me from flying when I got to the airport tomorrow, for having filled in the details wrongly? :o  Good thing my husband was born on a day after the 12th of the month, or I would never have noticed.  

Edited by Fonty
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Fonty said:

Ryanair are definitely in my bad books this evening.  I have flown with them many times, and never had an issue at all.  But this evening, while checking in and filling in all the details, I discovered I couldn't do it for my husband.  It would not accept his date of birth; kept telling me it was an invalid date.

After a bit of head scratching, I discovered that we had to fill in the details Month, Day, Year.  I have filled in masses of these forms before, and they have never done it that way round.  I had to go back and change my dob, plus the expiry date on my passport.  Would they have prevented me from flying when I got to the airport tomorrow, for having filled in the details wrongly? :o  Good thing my husband was born on a day after the 12th of the month, or I would never have noticed.  

Yes, they probably would have stopped you from flying.  I remember a fuss about something similar some years ago.

• 4 weeks later...

Into Room 101 goes Amazon Subscribe and Save.  We feed our dogs on complete dry food (kibble) with a few tempting additions.  It makes sense to buy in bulk so having a 3-monthly delivery of 18kg of kibble saves the effort of heaving heavy bags home from the shops.  This time, after the usual slew of emails about reviewing the order and then a blow-by-blow account of proposed delivery date and tracking, I was annoyed to receive the following message on the day of delivery:  "...undeliverable, apologies for the inconvenience."  The previous delivery arrived damaged - the bag torn and haphazardly patched together with a lot of sticky tape.  I am assuming that "undeliverable" means that this time the bag was so badly torn that either the entire contents were rolling about on the floor of the van or that the courier didn't have enough sticky tape to effect a credible repair.  That's all bad enough, but my blood pressure rose when I read the following paragraph:  "A refund will be issued 5 to 7 working days after the return has been processed (my italics).  What a cheek!  They know it has been despatched, they know it is undeliverable so why should the recipient have to wait for the return to be processed before a refund is issued?  

• Like 2

the whole communication process was probably handled without any human intervention (ie common sense) - AI (where 'intelligence' is often a misnomer) strikes again! And contacting them will probably mean interacting to a different AI process, so deepening the frustration that big companies seem to be building into their 'custome service' processes

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, zxDaveM said:

the whole communication process was probably handled without any human intervention (ie common sense) - AI (where 'intelligence' is often a misnomer) strikes again! And contacting them will probably mean interacting to a different AI process, so deepening the frustration that big companies seem to be building into their 'custome service' processes

I haven't (and won't) contact them - I probably can't spell most of what I'd like to say.  However I've cancelled the subscription and found an alternative supplier - fingers crossed!

• Like 4

A friend of mine ordered an item on Amazon recently and the online tracking covered the journey on the day of the delivery and eventually gave an estimate that it would arrive in the next hour. It didn’t. The next thing was an update stating the item was ‘lost.’ How on earth could it have been ‘lost’ when it was actually out for delivery?? He too had to wait to claim his full refund.

• Like 1

Guest oncnp

There are about 4 Amazon warehouses within an hour's drive (I can see one from our practices' office). I wish they'd let me just come and pick it up. 

On the other hand, when I ordered Muntagirov's book, they quoted delivery mid next week and it showed up the next day

35 minutes ago, oncnp said:

There are about 4 Amazon warehouses within an hour's drive (I can see one from our practices' office). I wish they'd let me just come and pick it up. 

On the other hand, when I ordered Muntagirov's book, they quoted delivery mid next week and it showed up the next day

I think they do that to 'delight the customer'. If it is held up, you're not disgruntled (as long as it arrives within the delivery window of course), but if it just wizzes through the system and you get it earlier than expected, you're 'delighted'. Happened to me yesterday, when some items were due next Wednesday, and suddenly get the message they are arriving between 5 and 9pm (have to feel for the delivery guys, working til 9pm on a Saturday). It's why I always go for the free delivery within 2-3 days, as they often just get put on the express van if they are coming my way anyway

• Like 1

Guest oncnp
20 minutes ago, zxDaveM said:

I think they do that to 'delight the customer'. If it is held up, you're not disgruntled (as long as it arrives within the delivery window of course), but if it just wizzes through the system and you get it earlier than expected, you're 'delighted'. Happened to me yesterday, when some items were due next Wednesday, and suddenly get the message they are arriving between 5 and 9pm (have to feel for the delivery guys, working til 9pm on a Saturday). It's why I always go for the free delivery within 2-3 days, as they often just get put on the express van if they are coming my way anyway

Especially surprised as it was Muntagirov's book...would have thought that would be in one warehouse in the entire US, if that.  And maybe it was, just happened to be one close to me. 

I wanted to add this while it was still live, but couldn't get online on Chiltern trains to do so.

When I was trying to get home from Birmingham New Street tonight after a lineside fire meant that all services to Euston were cancelled, I went on the Network Rail journey planner to check my alternatives.  For the New Street-Euston services I got a message along the lines of "This train has been cancelled.  Please use the Journey Planner to find an alternative."

I felt like screaming at it: "What the .... do you think I'm trying to do?!"!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, alison said:

When I was trying to get home from Birmingham New Street tonight after a lineside fire meant that all services to Euston were cancelled, I went on the Network Rail journey planner to check my alternatives.  For the New Street-Euston services I got a message along the lines of "This train has been cancelled.  Please use the Journey Planner to find an alternative."

wouldn't they let you use Moor St to Marylebone?

Sympathies @alison I was having a day out in London on Saturday & travelled up from the deep West Country via South West Trains, with no problems. But my return journey was not so smooth.

I was due to get a train at a particular time, and thought I'd go to Waterloo a bit early to have a snack & recharge my phone., only to see my designated train & the ones before & after were cancelled. So far, so usual.

My big gripe is that when I went to the Information stand to ask how I was hoping to get home, the representative told me he had no idea. He was completely clueless, unhelpful, and dismissive.

Now, I'm an experienced traveller & knew I could get back to Devon from Paddington on a Great Western train, but what if this jobsworth had advised people who didn't know this? I had to go to the ticket office to check that my Advance purchase South West trains ticket would be accepted on a Great Western train. I assumed it would, but the people at Waterloo should have known that, and told passengers. Grrrrr

Yes, the customer experience at New Street wasn't great, either.  Given the extent of the disruption, there should have been someone on the concourse who could be approached for information (and somewhere obvious for them to be), but there wasn't.  I mean, I initially had no idea whether it was just the few trains which were showing on the monitors which had been cancelled, or whether all the evening's trains would be.

Fortunately, a quick text to the family's train geek yielded some interesting alternatives, like changing at Banbury or getting a train to Reading and getting home from there, but I decided not to risk it, the simplest way probably being the best in such circumstances :) 

People who dump rubbish in other people's gardens.  Three times yesterday I evicted a bag which had blown along the street from our front garden, and three times it ended up back in there.  The last time, I had literally just evicted it again, gone indoors, upstairs and by the time I got to the window it was back again.  There was absolutely no wind blowing at the time, so it can only have been the couple just walking down the road who saw it and decided they'd toss it over the wall to get it out of the way :(

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Supermarket checkout behaviour.  I often complain about it but I've found a new variation on the usual annoyances.  After a minor domestic hiccup (broken floor mop handle) I went to my local supermarket to buy a replacement.  I bought a total of 3 items and was surprised and delighted to find a checkout queue with no-one in front of me - just three ladies and their trolley apparently about to pay and go.  Ha, ha - no such luck!  The three ladies, one elderly mother and two daughters probably, had loaded up their trolley to overflowing, put all their items on the conveyor belt and then reloaded the trolley.  A lot of reshuffling of the contents of the trolley but no evidence of packing it into bags or anything.  Then came the payment.  Not one but two mobile phones were deployed involving two presumed daughters showing the checkout assistant their phones which she scanned or zapped or whatever it is, accompanied by a lot of discussion and gesticulations.  Meanwhile, to my left and right, other queues went through without problems.  It took ages.  Can someone please tell me what is the benefit of all this technology?

2 hours ago, AnneMarriott said:

Supermarket checkout behaviour. 

I was checking out in my supermarket a couple of weeks ago.  The woman on the till recognised the person in the queue behind me and started a conversation with him to the extent that she showed her annoyance when I had a query about paying!

8 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

I was checking out in my supermarket a couple of weeks ago.  The woman on the till recognised the person in the queue behind me and started a conversation with him to the extent that she showed her annoyance when I had a query about paying!

Yes, recognisable scenario.  Nowadays we seem to have lost awareness of appropriate behaviour in public, especially that involving consideration for others, and replaced it with "me, me, me and what I want now, this minute".  Grumpy old woman speaking ...

• Like 6

2 hours ago, AnneMarriott said:

Nowadays we seem to have lost awareness of appropriate behaviour in public, especially that involving consideration for others, and replaced it with "me, me, me and what I want now, this minute".  Grumpy old woman speaking ...

grumpy old man empathising!

• Like 6

My pet thing to be grumpy about at the moment is people who insist on playing their phones out loud on trains and buses!! I don’t mean having conversations with people where the other person is on speakerphone …though that as well 😬…but playing some game or watching the Tv on full blast. 
The other day somebody behind me on the bus was doing this and when they happened to pass me as they got off I was shocked to see it was a 45-50 year old male and not a teenager lol 🙄

• Like 5

53 minutes ago, LinMM said:

My pet thing to be grumpy about at the moment is people who insist on playing their phones out loud on trains and buses!! I don’t mean having conversations with people where the other person is on speakerphone …though that as well 😬…but playing some game or watching the Tv on full blast. 
The other day somebody behind me on the bus was doing this and when they happened to pass me as they got off I was shocked to see it was a 45-50 year old male and not a teenager lol 🙄

Yes - I've encountered this and I've been tempted to complain but have been too afraid of the potential reaction... And I suppose they could say that if people can talk to each other on trains why shouldn't they watch TV or whatever. But I think it is different - TV/videos are generally louder and more intrusive. Even with phone conversations, which I know are sometimes necessary, I think they should not be on speakerphone and people should endeavour to keep their voices down. But what do I know.

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

I'm putting parfumiers into Room 101.  The blighters will keep discontinuing my favourite perfumes: Antilope (Weill), Ivoire (Balmain) and now, to my bitter disappointment after only 10 years, Iris Prima (Penhaligon), all gone.  It's such a difficult business trying to find a replacement.  There are no decent perfume retailers near me and my local Boots, despite being a huge store, has a dismal collection, mostly of new(ish) scents allegedly by various celebrities, all behind glass doors with no staff in sight - gone is the counter with bottles for customers to try.  I recently got some samples of scents which are supposed to be similar to Iris Prima.  They all stink.  

• Like 2