taxi4ballet

Room 101

9 hours ago, Mary said:

Have you tried leaving out an old bowl of stale water specially for her. They like old stale water- hate the chlorine in fresh tap water  I suppose.

She already has two - one on the patio and one halfway down the path and she does drink from those. She used to drink from the mini pond in a barrel, but she can't get to it now as it involves jumping onto a wall. I've always left a water dish or two in the garden, sometimes the sparrows use them as a bird bath.

Only two?

😃

Poor creature.

Today's candidates - Wasps and their nests in general, and the ones in my loft in particular.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, taxi4ballet said:

Today's candidates - Wasps and their nests in general, and the ones in my loft in particular.

Oh no we’ve suffered that on more than one occasion. First time I called pest control he scared me to death by asking if they had eaten through the plasterboard. 

5 hours ago, taxi4ballet said:

wasps are a gardner's friend, as they take many pests that munch on garden plants to feed to their grubs. Its only once the new queens are produced and the nest finishes, that worker wasps hunt out sweet things to maintain them in their last few weeks of life, that they become a cranky neighbour. Or if you make a nuisance of yourself and bother their nest, when they will defend it

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jane said:

Oh no we’ve suffered that on more than one occasion. First time I called pest control he scared me to death by asking if they had eaten through the plasterboard. 

I know they scrape wood (door frames, window frames, wood panels on doors etc) in order to make paper for their intricate and facinating nests

wasps may be a gardener's friend but I agree with Taxi - not much fun in the loft!

Swarms are a sight to behold though - house a few doors away had these visitors today

116465831_10158177640960339_7460615342492123855_n.jpg

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, zxDaveM said:

I know they scrape wood (door frames, window frames, wood panels on doors etc) in order to make paper for their intricate and facinating nests

They evidently love dormer windows as an access point into loft space but will chomp through plaster board according to council pest control. Not much fun laying in bed wondering if you can hear the hum of the nest above you. 

@2dancersmum fascinating photo. Did they disperse?

I had a nest of wood-eating bees once, down by the garden shed.  I wondered what on earth the vague chomping sound was when I went down there - didn't realise such things existed until bits of plank started dropping off the shed!

Yes, well. We could see them going into the eaves. Turns out that the nest was not in my loft at all. It was in my next-door neighbour's loft.

Well, it was. It isn't now. It fell through their bedroom ceiling yesterday evening.

35 minutes ago, taxi4ballet said:

Yes, well. We could see them going into the eaves. Turns out that the nest was not in my loft at all. It was in my next-door neighbour's loft.

Well, it was. It isn't now. It fell through their bedroom ceiling yesterday evening.

WOW!!!  How horrific for your neighbours.

Firmly in Room 101 - the ubiquitous little black plastic bags of dog poo that infest every country walk we to go on, no matter how remote.  I really don't get this phenomenon; someone once told me that they'd put such a bag down on a circular walk so as to pick it up on their return rather than carrying it round, but there are thousands of the disgusting objects that have clearly been laying around for weeks.  It's worse than not picking up the mess in the first place, as it just adds plastic to the environment.  Grrr.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Firmly in Room 101 - the ubiquitous little black plastic bags of dog poo that infest every country walk we to go on, no matter how remote.  I really don't get this phenomenon; someone once told me that they'd put such a bag down on a circular walk so as to pick it up on their return rather than carrying it round, but there are thousands of the disgusting objects that have clearly been laying around for weeks.  It's worse than not picking up the mess in the first place, as it just adds plastic to the environment.  Grrr.

I absolutely agree Quintus - there is no need whatsoever to leave poo bags lying around.  I have occasionally been to the Lunt Meadows Nature Reserve where there are no bins.  If Chipdog does his business as we are setting off I put the bag by the wheel of my car to pick up on my return otherwise I carry the blummin' thing around with me!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, taxi4ballet said:

How frightening 😱

54 minutes ago, Quintus said:

We’ve noticed an increase in this behaviour. We generally do one of three walks across fields and since the pandemic there have been more poo bags but also a new habit of people discarding wipes in ditches and verges. 

• Like 2

Not to mention all the discarded single-use face masks ...

(NB: try searching on "Terracycle" for a way of recycling those where appropriate)

Wow just read about the wasp nest falling through the bedroom ceiling 😳 hope they weren’t in bed at the time. We reported a suspected wasp nest in the loft a few years back but as it was the beginning of September the council said not to worry they would all die soon!! And apparently they don’t go back to the exact same nest site. But I was still worried they might just come back and build in a slightly different place but they haven’t so far anyway! 

Regards poo bags we have to be careful to get our bin back up driveway on bin day if we leave it down the bottom end overnight we have been finding poo bags in the bin on several occasions. The bin wasn’t on the path well maybe partly but mostly on our driveway so not in the way or anything. We don’t think it’s anyone from our road but our road can be used as a cut through to get to the Downs st the top so 

a favourite doggy walk place. 

Can I just add all those (thousands of?) people who still don't understand the definition of wearing a face mask?!  It does not simply cover your chin; it does need to cover both your nose and your mouth (and go under your chin, ideally)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, alison said:

Can I just add all those (thousands of?) people who still don't understand the definition of wearing a face mask?!  It does not simply cover your chin; it does need to cover both your nose and your mouth (and go under your chin, ideally)

And can I add all those that think social distancing is a thing of the past. 

• Like 4

Those too ... :(

And, having just wasted well over an hour when I should have been working trying largely unsuccessfully to move money into and out of various online accounts, I'd also like to nominate all those people who seem to design internet banking to be as complicated as it can possibly be.  As a few examples, the bank/building society which:

- seems to have decided that everyone only uses their phone for online banking now, so insists that you download an app from the Google Play Store / App Store to operate the account, but didn't bother mentioning this originally before you decided to open the account.  If you want to operate it differently, you have to ring them up and ask them to send you some device or other.  That's ringing the phone line I already sat on hold twice last week for at least 20 minutes each time because their automatic system didn't send me the UserID within the 1 hour specified, or even 48 hours, come to that, and then a further delay while that arrives in the post ...

- (this mandatory payee identification thing is excellent, and I don't understand why on earth it's taken so long to implement it as an additional security measure - surely the first thing you should be checking is that the payee name and account holder match? - but) ... the upshot is that, for an account which feeds several of my other accounts at times, I now have myself listed as payee several times over, with no obvious way of being able to identify which account is which!  If I try and add something to the payee name to identify which account it is, I think that's likely to cause a conflict with the payee identification, and anyway this organisation barely gives me enough characters to write my first and last names, let alone anything else, so what on earth people with long or double-barrelled names are supposed to do I know not ...  I did eventually manage to do a test transfer to make sure that I had the account details correct before transferring anything larger.  That's into the account with the building society which ...

- in a praiseworthy attempt to keep customer data as secure as possible, demands so many different identifying pieces of information, none of which are held in the same place, that I can only access the account from home, because otherwise I'm likely to find I'm missing the account number/user ID/grid card/password hint/inside leg measurement or whatever else it is I need to log into the account online, so guess what I shall be doing this evening, all to make sure that £1 has been added to my account ;)

And they keep telling us how easy and convenient online banking is :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alison said:

Those too ... :(

And, having just wasted well over an hour when I should have been working trying largely unsuccessfully to move money into and out of various online accounts, I'd also like to nominate all those people who seem to design internet banking to be as complicated as it can possibly be.  As a few examples, the bank/building society which:

- seems to have decided that everyone only uses their phone for online banking now, so insists that you download an app from the Google Play Store / App Store to operate the account, but didn't bother mentioning this originally before you decided to open the account.  If you want to operate it differently, you have to ring them up and ask them to send you some device or other.  That's ringing the phone line I already sat on hold twice last week for at least 20 minutes each time because their automatic system didn't send me the UserID within the 1 hour specified, or even 48 hours, come to that, and then a further delay while that arrives in the post ...

- (this mandatory payee identification thing is excellent, and I don't understand why on earth it's taken so long to implement it as an additional security measure - surely the first thing you should be checking is that the payee name and account holder match? - but) ... the upshot is that, for an account which feeds several of my other accounts at times, I now have myself listed as payee several times over, with no obvious way of being able to identify which account is which!  If I try and add something to the payee name to identify which account it is, I think that's likely to cause a conflict with the payee identification, and anyway this organisation barely gives me enough characters to write my first and last names, let alone anything else, so what on earth people with long or double-barrelled names are supposed to do I know not ...  I did eventually manage to do a test transfer to make sure that I had the account details correct before transferring anything larger.  That's into the account with the building society which ...

- in a praiseworthy attempt to keep customer data as secure as possible, demands so many different identifying pieces of information, none of which are held in the same place, that I can only access the account from home, because otherwise I'm likely to find I'm missing the account number/user ID/grid card/password hint/inside leg measurement or whatever else it is I need to log into the account online, so guess what I shall be doing this evening, all to make sure that £1 has been added to my account ;)

And they keep telling us how easy and convenient online banking is :D

And all of that is precisely why I don't use online banking!

Flies.

Those big black/green buzzy ones - as soon as I open the back door a crack, or a window, its as if they are queuing up to come inside, where they frantically buzz around bumping into things - everything apart from the way out....

• Like 3

2 hours ago, zxDaveM said:

Flies.

Those big black/green buzzy ones - as soon as I open the back door a crack, or a window, its as if they are queuing up to come inside, where they frantically buzz around bumping into things - everything apart from the way out....

I put the farmers in room 101 who move pig poo up and down the road all day in this heat encouraging the flies. I’m sure one tractor drives it from A to B and another from B to A. 

• Like 3

Weather forecasts that get it very wrong.  We had our outdoor mosaic workshop cancelled today because the forecast was for rain and thunder all day and we would have been sitting on metal chairs under a metal framed gazebo.  The sun has been cracking the flags all day so far!

• Like 3

Vets - and not for the first time.  I recently had my cat's blood and urine tested because of excessive drinking and weight loss.  Because the results revealed nothing untoward, I was persuaded to agree to a heart scan and blood pressure measurement because of an existing heart murmur.  Well I claimed on the insurance for the first set of investigations but the vet has seen fit to link the two sets of investigations together for insurance purposes under the general heading of "heart murmur".  Needless to say anything connected to heart murmur is excluded from our insurance policy because it was an existing condition when we rescued the cat in the first place.  So I claimed a modest amount for investigations that were (as far as I know) unrelated to the heart murmur,  but the vet has apparently submitted two claims for the same investigations at the same cost with two different reference numbers.  When I rang the practice to ask for clarification I was told that the vet was away so I would need to discuss it with her next week.   I only hope my cat doesn't have an accident and break a leg - doubtless the vet will claim that the accident only occurred because the heart murmur slowed down her reflexes.  Not happy!

I'm going to throw in inconsiderate people who light bonfires when its this hot - horrible smell when you open the windows but you need them open evenings and early mornings to get some cooler air in

• Like 4

11 hours ago, 2dancersmum said:

I'm going to throw in inconsiderate people who light bonfires when its this hot - horrible smell when you open the windows but you need them open evenings and early mornings to get some cooler air in

As a vegetarian I find neighbours' barbecues just as bad!