Room 101

taxi4ballet

😂😂 I’m going to carry on with the getting them out of the house. 
The puppy is at the stage of nose into everything so don’t think it would end well with a hornet. Cat reached stage of life where he really can’t be bothered with anything unless it involves food.

• Like 1

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Windows 10.  Having heard a few horror stories from colleagues about the Home edition suddenly and inconveniently updating itself when you're right in the middle of something important, when it came to buying it I always carefully bought the Professional version, which is supposed to give you up to a week in which to schedule the update at a time convenient to you - e.g. when you're not desperately trying to make a deadline.  Except when it doesn't.   So, I turn the laptop on this morning, with the battery already quite drained and the charger not accessible (because you're always supposed to update with the laptop on the mains), to find there's an update waiting and the only options I'm given, instead of the usual "do it later", are Update and Shut Down or Update and Restart, with no indication of how long it's going to take and how much battery it may therefore use :(

GRRRR!!!  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, alison said:

So, I turn the laptop on this morning, with the battery already quite drained and the charger not accessible (because you're always supposed to update with the laptop on the mains), to find there's an update waiting and the only options I'm given, instead of the usual "do it later", are Update and Shut Down or Update and Restart, with no indication of how long it's going to take and how much battery it may therefore use :(

GRRRR!!!  

GRRRR indeed Alison.  How very frustrating.

Phone updates that send you in endless circles when they send you codes then refuse to accept them or the new password you have just changed to get you out of the whole mess. I’ve been trying to do it since 2.00 a.m and it still isn’t resolved.

1 hour ago, Fiz said:

Phone updates that send you in endless circles when they send you codes then refuse to accept them or the new password you have just changed to get you out of the whole mess. I’ve been trying to do it since 2.00 a.m and it still isn’t resolved.

Oh noooooo...

• Like 1

I hate phone updates in case something weird happens and leave it for a few months usually before finally biting the bullet!! I did one two days ago and felt a surge of panic as it said “welcome to iPhone” continue…….and I thought noooo it’s going to go through some whole new set up but on the next page it just wanted my passcode and everything was normal  Phew!!! 

• Like 1

Supermarkets and their never-ending obsession with revamping store layouts.

I have just been to buy some macaroni and a pot of cheese pasta sauce (cheaper than using my nice vintage cheddar) and it took me several walks round the entire store to find the dratted things.

Just leave things where they are, dammit! Grrrrrr😠

• Like 4

One of the local Sainsburys did a total rearrangement of all their shelves a few months ago now.  I still have no idea of where everything is, with the consequence that I'm buying less there because I can't be bothered to go hunting for it.

And another one, not content with putting barriers up at the exit from the self-checkouts - together with signs saying that they will open automatically once a purchase has been made - is now forcing everyone who uses the self-checkouts to have a receipt whether they want one or not because, guess what - they now have a barcode reader which will operate said barriers when you scan your receipt.  Not only would I guess that their customers don't like being treated like potential shoplifters, but why on earth would you bother walking through the self-checkouts if you *were* shoplifting when you can just walk out the way you came in?  I really don't think insulting the customers is going to help them.

• Like 4

Self-checkouts full stop.  I refuse to use them and I have abandoned shopping before now if told I had no choice.

Tescos latest initiative is because (they say) customers are asking for more self-checkouts.  It's funny that in my local Tesco there are always queues at the proper tills and hardly anyone at the self checkout.

The introduction of self-checkouts is an opportunity to reduce staff.

When Marks first introduced them in the food hall in Liverpool years ahead of anyone else they were persuading everyone to try them.  It took 4 staff to make the blummin' thing work!!  Not only was the whole shop hysterical with laughter but it gave me a phobia of using them!!

I won't use pay at pump either!

Bah Humbug!!

• Like 3

Hear hear for self service checkouts!!

My local Sainsbury going to pot too. Only have 2 manned checkouts these days during the week, very occasionally a third (I was really lucky to catch the third one opening this afternoon, as I only had a small basket about half full, and most people in the queues on the other two had full trollies). I rarely use those self-service ones - maybe if I only have one or two items, and big queues elsewhere. Irony the other day - only about 1/3rd of those self serving ones were working, so huge queues there too! And have to say, the quality of their fruit & veg has dropped markedly of late, which is disappointing

I'll be winding down my saved nectar points and moving to aldi, which is closer to my house. The queues always bad there, but at least the groceries cheaper!

• Like 1

I too hate it when they rearrange the supermarket and you can't find things.  However I am going to break ranks on self-service checkouts. Usually DH shops with me, so he unloads onto the conveyor belt at a normal check out and I pack. But if I am on my own it is much quicker and easier to take an item from the basket or trolley, swipe it and put it straight into the bag.

Edited by Pas de Quatre
Sp
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, zxDaveM said:

My local Sainsbury going to pot too. Only have 2 manned checkouts these days during the week, very occasionally a third (I was really lucky to catch the third one opening this afternoon, as I only had a small basket about half full, and most people in the queues on the other two had full trollies).

Even pre-pandemic, I went into one of mine early evening, got a small trolleyful and then realised there were no full-sized checkouts open at all.  And they wouldn't open one for me.  Can you imagine trying to squeeze the contents of a small trolley onto one of those weight-sensitive checkout areas that are barely larger than a sheet of A4 paper (this store has never had any of the larger ones)?!  I've not done a trolley-load of shopping there since :(

there is a notice in my local supermarket, apologising for the shifting about, due to incoming legislation regarding high salt, high fat, high sugar content products. Perhaps they are constructing the 'naughty aisle'....

generally, I'll put up with them moving stuff about, if they move the aisle labels AT THE SAME TIME!!!

• Like 4

I think they're everywhere!

Personally, I'll be happy if I get my high-juice squashes with no artificial sweeteners reinstated.  They're getting increasingly difficult to find - and some of the replacements contain things like aspartame :(

On 30/08/2022 at 18:01, alison said:

One of the local Sainsburys did a total rearrangement of all their shelves a few months ago now.  I still have no idea of where everything is, with the consequence that I'm buying less there because I can't be bothered to go hunting for it.

It's planned disorientation. Supermarkets rearrange regularly because the last thing they want is people going straight to the items they need. They rely on a percentage of casual / impulse purchases, which means drifting you past as many shelves as possible hoping that unplanned items will catch your eye before you find what you came in for.  That's also why staples like the bakery and booze are at the back of the store.  You appear to have foiled their strategy though!

• Like 1

On 31/08/2022 at 00:22, zxDaveM said:

Hear hear for self service checkouts!!

My local Sainsbury going to pot too. Only have 2 manned checkouts these days during the week, very occasionally a third (I was really lucky to catch the third one opening this afternoon, as I only had a small basket about half full, and most people in the queues on the other two had full trollies). I rarely use those self-service ones - maybe if I only have one or two items, and big queues elsewhere. Irony the other day - only about 1/3rd of those self serving ones were working, so huge queues there too! And have to say, the quality of their fruit & veg has dropped markedly of late, which is disappointing

I'll be winding down my saved nectar points and moving to aldi, which is closer to my house. The queues always bad there, but at least the groceries cheaper!

Our local Aldi is phasing out human checkouts altogether.  There is currently only one, with huge queues every time.  I said to the manager 'does this not show you that people still want a human being to do the checkouts for them?'  Many of the people are elderly and don't want to do the self-service.  I hate it there as something always goes wrong.  There are people around to help, but hey, a human being doesn't make those same mistakes.  The manager told me that it is company policy to phase out human beings at the tills.  I told him that I hope they will be redeployed elsewhere.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sim said:

Our local Aldi is phasing out human checkouts altogether.  There is currently only one, with huge queues every time.  I said to the manager 'does this not show you that people still want a human being to do the checkouts for them?'  Many of the people are elderly and don't want to do the self-service.  I hate it there as something always goes wrong.  There are people around to help, but hey, a human being doesn't make those same mistakes.  The manager told me that it is company policy to phase out human beings at the tills.  I told him that I hope they will be redeployed elsewhere.

That's awful Sim.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sim said:

I did a quick walk around my new(ish) local Aldi the other day (seeing what the stock was like and its range, the layout etc), as I'm definitely thinking of changing. Admittedly a quiet day, but there were 2-3 manned checkouts open (out of 6-7), and there don't seem to be that many auto ones anyway. I'll have to see what it's like when I shop there for real...

• Like 4

One of our local supermarkets has got rid of human checkouts. They claim it's because they can't get people to take the jobs - interesting that other supermarkets don't seem to be having that problem, but maybe it's just a matter of time. I hate the self-checkouts, which are complicated and buggy. We started getting groceries delivered in 2020 when covid started being a thing, so we've just carried on doing that and got rid of one of the cars.

And how are the disabled and those who struggle with technology going to manage? One of my friends has autism and he refuses to use them. He just can't do it. 

I went into our local Matalan yesterday and there was one cashier. She spent more time fiddling about with the self-service tills and helping people on those than she would have done if she actually served them. I was exchanging something so had to wait while she did all that. I said to her that I didn't much like them, and she said no, they're not for everyone.

• Like 3

Why is life so unfair?  My neighbour and chum has just knocked on my door to tell me that despite a successful bone marrow transplant in January and passing the critical100-day mark with flying colours her leukaemia has come back and it's now just palliative care.

It's just put all my whinges and niggles into perspective.

• Like 3

Oh No! Just as I thought the general News in UK couldn’t get any worse have just heard Prince Charles and William are both now making their way to Balmoral over Doctors concerns for the Queens Health. 
I hope her current condition will improve soon. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

$£%^£$& Microsoft!  I launch Edge on a laptop that is solely reserved for one client's work, only to find it's telling me that it's syncing all my Edge settings across all my devices :(  There is a good reason why I need to keep my work settings and my "play" settings separate, and I do not want them getting mixed up just because M$ says so.

• 4 weeks later...

Telephone calls that put you on hold with no time limit and no idea how many people are in front of you.  I have just spent 35 minutes on the NHS line for patient transport, listening to the same dreary piece of music over and over.   I had to hang up in the end, I needed to use my phone for something else.  

It is bad enough that each time I phone I have to spend 2 minutes listening to an announcement about Covid and what not to do if I or someone I know has it. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Fonty said:

Telephone calls that put you on hold with no time limit and no idea how many people are in front of you.  I have just spent 35 minutes on the NHS line for patient transport, listening to the same dreary piece of music over and over.   I had to hang up in the end, I needed to use my phone for something else.  

It is bad enough that each time I phone I have to spend 2 minutes listening to an announcement about Covid and what not to do if I or someone I know has it. 

Someone sent me a cartoon recently of a chap on the phone.  The speech bubble coming out of the earpiece said "please continue to hold until your call is no longer important to you".  So true!!  :)

• Like 9

5 hours ago, Fonty said:

I think this is the one I mentioned a while back in a separate thread about trying to contact Birmingham Hippodrome, but I hung on there for absolutely ages, until I got cut off because my mobile provider had put a cap on how much off-plan expenditure I could have :( 

And this morning I spent 30 minutes hanging on the telephone for the Royal Mail, just so I could clarify what stamps I needed to swap before the end of the month :(