Jump to content
taxi4ballet

Room 101

Recommended Posts

Having posted my little triumph with administration of tablets to a cat, I'd like to put vet  consultations ito Room 101.  My cat had a sore 

 paw (left front foot).  I told the vet who then proceeded to examine her eyes, teeth, temperature, heart beat and legs, putting each leg through a range of movements starting with the back two and finishing with the front left.  She then put the cat on the floor and tried to make her walk.  Lexi declined.

 

After an eternity of fiddling about with her paw there were antiseptic soaked swabs all over the place, a very distressed cat and a very frustrated owner.  The vet then took 20 minutes to research the treatment before sending us away with antibiotic tablets, Metacam (guaranteed diarrhoea in my experience), a bottle of Hibiscrub and some gauze swabs.  The vet was clearly far from well, coughing and spluttering during the 45-minute consultation.  I am now coughing and spluttering and feeling rotten, the cat seems fine.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, AnneMarriott said:

Having posted my little triumph with administration of tablets to a cat, I'd like to put vet  consultations ito Room 101.  My cat had a sore 

 paw (left front foot).  I told the vet who then proceeded to examine her eyes, teeth, temperature, heart beat and legs, putting each leg through a range of movements starting with the back two and finishing with the front left.  She then put the cat on the floor and tried to make her walk.  Lexi declined.

 

After an eternity of fiddling about with her paw there were antiseptic soaked swabs all over the place, a very distressed cat and a very frustrated owner.  The vet then took 20 minutes to research the treatment before sending us away with antibiotic tablets, Metacam (guaranteed diarrhoea in my experience), a bottle of Hibiscrub and some gauze swabs.  The vet was clearly far from well, coughing and spluttering during the 45-minute consultation.  I am now coughing and spluttering and feeling rotten, the cat seems fine.

 

You have to give it to vets though at least they are thorough in their examinations. GPs on the other hand ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How do people feel about other people talking over the top of them?  I boarded a train which began its journey at that particular station.  There was plenty of choice of seats, and I sat at one with the table, because I like to do a crossword puzzle or two on a long journey and find it easier to rest on a table.  Just before the doors shut.  2 couples and several children dashed on.  2 of the adults sat opposite me, the other two sat behind me.

 

The 4 adults were obviously all together, and  proceeded to have a very loud conversation, with me stuck in the middle of them.  In the meantime, the children amused themselves by jumping off the seats, thwacking the arm rests up and down, and running about.  At some point, in between the "lively" conversation, the man opposite me tuned in to the football, so I was treated to a running commentary on Arsenal's woeful performance.  Accompanied by lots of "F**king 'ell"

 

I couldn't concentrate on my crossword, and found that I was reading the same paragraph in my book over and over.  I found myself getting more and more irritated.  In the end, I gave up and sat with my eyes closed for the next hour and a half. 

Edited by Fonty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've not actually experienced anything similar Fonty but on my last visit to London there were 2 young ladies in the carriage (not particularly close to me) who started playing inane pop music over a blue tooth speaker and singing along loudly.  No one else seemed bothered.  I played "in the Upper Room" as loud as I could get my phone speaker but they did not take the hint.  In the end I explored the other carriages on the (very busy) train and fortunately found another seat!  You have my sympathies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sadly there wasn't any where else to sit, Janet.  And I didn't have anything to play loud music on.  I think I could have coped if I had been sitting behind or beside them.  But sitting in between them was horrible.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/12/2019 at 16:11, Fonty said:

How do people feel about other people talking over the top of them?  I boarded a train which began its journey at that particular station.  There was plenty of choice of seats, and I sat at one with the table, because I like to do a crossword puzzle or two on a long journey and find it easier to rest on a table.  Just before the doors shut.  2 couples and several children dashed on.  2 of the adults sat opposite me, the other two sat behind me.

 

The 4 adults were obviously all together, and  proceeded to have a very loud conversation, with me stuck in the middle of them.  In the meantime, the children amused themselves by jumping off the seats, thwacking the arm rests up and down, and running about.  At some point, in between the "lively" conversation, the man opposite me tuned in to the football, so I was treated to a running commentary on Arsenal's woeful performance.  Accompanied by lots of "F**king 'ell"

 

I couldn't concentrate on my crossword, and found that I was reading the same paragraph in my book over and over.  I found myself getting more and more irritated.  In the end, I gave up and sat with my eyes closed for the next hour and a half. 

 

How extremely rude of these people. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Famers not keeping their ditches flowing, and councils not unclogging rural drains after autumn leaf fall...   We live in the sticks and last week during the heavy rains my wife drove into one of the many flooded road sections and got swamped by a lorry coming the other way. That drove water into the air intake and wrecked the engine, which in turn caused the car to be a write off.  We'd had that car for 13 years and it felt like a member of the family 😫

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry about that Quintus ...not a nice experience for your wife either. 

However am glad I'm not the only one who gets fond of their cars! Almost as bad as losing a pet sometimes ...well nearly!

When I had to scrap my golf a few years back I followed the removal lorry to the corner of the road so I could see it going for as long as possible 🙄

We know we've got to change our now one car in the next year as its a 20 year old diesel and it's going to be impossible to drive it into some areas now even though it's probably got another five good years in it 😢 

We will,both be sad to see it go especially when it hasn't really died yet and is in good working order.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Quintus said:

Famers not keeping their ditches flowing, and councils not unclogging rural drains after autumn leaf fall...   We live in the sticks and last week during the heavy rains my wife drove into one of the many flooded road sections and got swamped by a lorry coming the other way. That drove water into the air intake and wrecked the engine, which in turn caused the car to be a write off.  We'd had that car for 13 years and it felt like a member of the family 😫

Oh I'm so sorry to hear about that, what a rotten nuisance.

 

On the subject of drainage ditches and drains, unfortunately an EU law is partially to blame for this - there was a lot of talk about it after all the flooding of the Somerset Levels not so long ago. Something to do with protecting certain wildlife habitats I think.

Edited by taxi4ballet
edited for spelling
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Quintus said:

Famers not keeping their ditches flowing, and councils not unclogging rural drains after autumn leaf fall...   We live in the sticks and last week during the heavy rains my wife drove into one of the many flooded road sections and got swamped by a lorry coming the other way. That drove water into the air intake and wrecked the engine, which in turn caused the car to be a write off.  We'd had that car for 13 years and it felt like a member of the family 😫

My car is off to garage tomorrow as a number of warning lights have come on and stayed on since the floods. Garages first response was ‘wait and see if they go out when it dries’ - they haven’t. My car doesn’t really owe me anything at over 10 years old with over 200,000 miles on clock but having only ever needed a new battery and heating fan but will be upset if the floods have finished it off. 
 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can remember we went to buy my beloved Golf from the seller who lived near Worthing. 
Then forever after that every time we drove past that road ( in my partners car) my partner would wind me up saying my Golf isn’t happy with my driving and wanted to go ‘home’ to its original owner ....grrr 

There is a name for giving  animals ‘human’ qualities etc...anthropomorphising? I wonder if there is a word for doing this to cars? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/12/2019 at 07:18, Jane said:

My car is off to garage tomorrow as a number of warning lights have come on and stayed on since the floods. Garages first response was ‘wait and see if they go out when it dries’ - they haven’t. My car doesn’t really owe me anything at over 10 years old with over 200,000 miles on clock but having only ever needed a new battery and heating fan but will be upset if the floods have finished it off. 
 

I probably shouldn’t have driven through the floods, turns out the catalyst converter didn’t like it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Jane said:

I probably shouldn’t have driven through the floods, turns out the catalyst converter didn’t like it. 


oh no, so sorry to hear this Jane.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:


oh no, so sorry to hear this Jane.

The garage don’t seem to think it will be an expensive job but maybe it’s something I shouldn’t make a habit of. Was determined to prove I could get to work and I did, warning lights came on during journey home. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, I don't think cats like being flooded, from what I recall (never had anything that fancy, myself) :( 

 

Anyway, I came on here to dump my local branch of Waitrose which, barely 24 hours after Christmas Day had ended, had Cadbury's Creme Eggs, Lindt Easter bunnies and eggs, and so on on its shelves.  It's not even as if Easter is early this year ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, alison said:

Yes, I don't think cats like being flooded, from what I recall (never had anything that fancy, myself) :( 

 

Anyway, I came on here to dump my local branch of Waitrose which, barely 24 hours after Christmas Day had ended, had Cadbury's Creme Eggs, Lindt Easter bunnies and eggs, and so on on its shelves.  It's not even as if Easter is early this year ...

😂 @alison the last thing it can be described as is fancy. Garage used to describe it as ‘a shopping trolley with engine’ but stopped mocking it as the mileage as crept up beyond 200,000. I was so determined to get to work after my last adverse weather shift when I ended up being collected by a private fire engine/rescue truck and had to make conversation with a very kind volunteer driver for over an hour and then fall out of the cab when we arrived as I’m so short. Had better journeys.
 

I noticed mini eggs in Coop when looking for birthday treats btw Christmas and New Year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, I meant that my last (and only) car predated cats :)  (oops - that looks really ambiguous :) )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/01/2020 at 17:54, alison said:

Anyway, I came on here to dump my local branch of Waitrose which, barely 24 hours after Christmas Day had ended, had Cadbury's Creme Eggs, Lindt Easter bunnies and eggs, and so on on its shelves.  It's not even as if Easter is early this year ...

Ooh, I like a creme egg!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My Facebook feed is full of people telling me that big tins of creme eggs and mini eggs are now available!  I loved creme eggs years ago but they are just too sweet for me now.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't mind the mini eggs, although given how much chocolate we got for Christmas I may still be eating that come Easter ...

 

Anyway, I'm also going to dump the shop chain whose inaccurate stock checker had me running all over London the other day in a wild goose chase ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...